Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #7846
dmcc67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Just jetted yesterday, went with 125 main, 40 pilot, air screw 2.5 turns, drilled slide, installed adjustable needle clip 2 from top(don't have the number with me, but these were all the Kawasaki parts listed on this forum), air box mods, new air filter. Also put a 1/2 hole in the silencer baffle. It runs out a little better, not an impressive difference though. Haven't checked the mileage with mods yet, keeping my fingers crossed.

Funny thing is, I never jetted my first bike. It got 58 when new, and then I modified a KLX300 silencer to work with the stock header, and it still got 58. It was definitely lean, but ran ok.

I'm hoping for a big torque gain with the 351 so it'll pull 6th easier.

FWIW, this one seems to get 50 even when I baby it. I'm not too concerned, but I'm hoping it stays at 50 or even gets better with the 351.
dmcc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #7847
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcc67 View Post
I've tried searching this without success....

Anyone want to report their average MPG after going to the 351cc?
I'm considering the big bore sometime this year.

I commute on my 250, and I am probably wringing it out, but I only get 50mpg average. This is my second KLX250s, my first one got 58mpg average, day in and day out. Both 06's. Go figure.
When new my 07 would get in the mid to upper 50s for MPG (high was 58). I was very disappointed with that. I put the 351 on with only ~750 miles. With the number of mods I have done, it's pretty much impossible to say what has impacted mileage and what hasn't. Now I typically get around 65+ MPG (high was 74). I can say for sure that the 351 itself isn't a complete MPG killer - getting jetted with intake and exhaust properly sorted probably has a far bigger impact. The one mod I have done where I did notice an immediate and sustained increase in MPG was the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. The 351 has no issues pulling 6th gear with the 15 tooth. Others on this thread and elsewhere have said it a thousand times and I couldn't agree more, the 351 makes it a completely different bike. The increase in raw power numbers doesn't really tell the story, because there is such a large increase in where the usable power is available in the RPM range.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #7848
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Anyone want to report their average MPG after going to the 351cc?
73 mpg (70 mile daily round trip commute).

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #7849
dmcc67
Adventurer

WOW I hope others are getting similar results!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #7850
IDRIDR

Oddometer: 1,069
Ron has things very well sorted out
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #7851
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,695
I get between 50 and 55 mpg with the 351, but that's more gross throttle mismanagement than anything.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #7852
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 992
My mileage has been pretty bad; 35-45 ish but I know that my jetting has been way off! The good news is, I'm getting close to 30,000 miles (50,000 km) with no mechanical problems and still my same slacker maintenance schedule!

I want to get it dialed in but haven't been able to... here are my issues:

1. Normally I wouldn't mess with it. I'd take it to someone who really, really knew their stuff and have them dial it in for me on a dyno. Here in Malaysia I don't know that there is anyone that can do that. Everyone is an expert at fixing something broken so that it will go BUT no one understands the desire to "fine tune" something that runs pretty ok but we know could be better! (The rear brake was completely out on my KTM once and I brought it into one of the higher end shops to fix it, left the bike and took a loaner and came back that evening. They said it was done, but when I got on it, the rear brake was still completely out so I yelled at them. The mechinic put his arm around me, walked back to the bike with me, squeezed the front brake lever a few times and said, "This is also a brake and it is working fine. That back pedal just controls the rear brake but you can stop just fine with this one. Go ahead and bring it back in when they are both out!")

2. If I was doing it myself I copy other smarter guys numbers from the forum here, but the problem is on this forum I haven't come across anyone with similar weather to what we have here and the same set up I have. (Everyday 89-99F/75-99% humidity; 351, BBBB (Bill Blue Big Bore) BB 33mm carb bored to 34mm, bb/barker full system pipe.

3. No jets in stock in the coutry.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #7853
dmcc67
Adventurer

ouch.......do you foul plugs?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #7854
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,954
Jetting isn't really rocket science. I've had a mental block with regard to carburetors for years, but since all three of my bikes have 'em, I've had no choice but to learn.

I've found that Dynojet's recommendations in their kit are pretty much spot-on. I have a Twin-Air filter and KLX300 pipe/muffler and use a DJ124 main jet, the stock 35 pilot, and the DJ needle in the middle position. AF screw is 2-1/2 turns out. The bike runs like a top and gets good mileage as long as I'm not wringing the piss out of it on the freeway.

I'm not sure what to recommend with the TM33/34, but I would suggest ordering up some main jets and a couple of pilot jets.. have somebody here get 'em and ship 'em if you have to.. they're not expensive. They you can experiment. Yeah, taking the carb on and off to rejet is a pain, but if you spend an afternoon doing it, it'll be well worth it. You can even get the thing off and on the bike with the bike hot; it's not that hard.

A while back I found an online jetting calculator.. I'm trying to find it again, but so far no luck. The thing is, there is very little change over elevation and temperature/humidity. Just get it running good on a given day and it'll probably be just fine... certainly better than you're getting now.

If you need help getting stuff, PM me. I'd be happy to order it and ship it to you if you have Paypal. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #7855
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 992
Thanks Rob! I really appreciate it

How about humidity... anyone know if that makes a difference?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #7856
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Just jetted yesterday, went with 125 main, 40 pilot, air screw 2.5 turns, drilled slide, installed adjustable needle clip 2 from top(don't have the number with me, but these were all the Kawasaki parts listed on this forum), air box mods, new air filter. Also put a 1/2 hole in the silencer baffle. It runs out a little better, not an impressive difference though. Haven't checked the mileage with mods yet, keeping my fingers crossed.

Funny thing is, I never jetted my first bike. It got 58 when new, and then I modified a KLX300 silencer to work with the stock header, and it still got 58. It was definitely lean, but ran ok.

I'm hoping for a big torque gain with the 351 so it'll pull 6th easier.

FWIW, this one seems to get 50 even when I baby it. I'm not too concerned, but I'm hoping it stays at 50 or even gets better with the 351.
no need to go to the 40 pilot the stock 35 is more then enuff
KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
zippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #7857
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Thanks Rob! I really appreciate it

How about humidity... anyone know if that makes a difference?
Yes, humid air will have less oxygen than the same volume of dry air, so you need to go leaner. How much? You'll have to experiment to determine that.

FWIW, I found the Dynojet recommendations too rich. I ended up going with the Stage 1 jetting (stock snorkel and exhaust), but one size smaller on the main jet. I had to call DJ to get the smaller main, as the kit contained jets in two-step increments.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #7858
dmcc67
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippets View Post
no need to go to the 40 pilot the stock 35 is more then enuff
I think you're probably right.......and our humidity here ain't too low either
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #7859
linkin5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Humidity has very little affect on jetting if It did your bike would be underpowered on really humid days and that just ain't the case. Sure it will have an effect as well as temp. but neither will affect it like serious elevation changes will. I have never changed jets cause it's cold out or it's really humid today and the bike runs the same for all I can tell in all conditions.
linkin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #7860
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Air Fuel Mixture Screw

I saw this in the Cycle Gear catalog today. Will it work on the stock carb?

Easily adjust the air/fuel mixture on your Kehin carbs with this convenient Air Fuel Mixture Screw from Trackside.

Features and Benefits
CNC machined from billet aluminum
Anodized finish for durability
Easy grip and turn design requires no tools for adjustments anytime
Numbered 1-4 for easy adjustment
Includes spring, two washers and o-ring
Designed to resist backing out due to vibrations
Fits Kehin FCR carbs

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/P...9_59409_423123
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote