Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #28816
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Gawd I hate chip seal!
Makes at least 2 of us. Luckily, they won't be back for many years and the road'll recover.

I'm fixin to go on a 4hr mixed surface ride. Lots of gravel, more'n a few hills, gonna kill my legs after the last few days.

M
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #28817
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Hey moodfart,

My LBS of choice is using the same kind of business model that you're contemplating. He has 2-3 shop rides a week and it really seems to help business. Check out his website: www.cyclopediaofredding.com
Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #28818
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

for those of y'all looking for GPS based computers:

short time deal

M
Old 05-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #28819
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post

Gawd I hate chip seal!

The really sad news is that I washed my BMW GS yesterday for the first time in a year and now it will get all dusty again, and maybe some tar spots!

Thanks for listening to me rant. I love good, smooth asphalt or a good dirt road, but I just fooking hate chip seal.

Doug
First world problems. Everyone complained about the chipseal in Texas on our last ride. I noticed it but on the recumbent, it's not a huge, huge issue.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #28820
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
for those of y'all looking for GPS based computers:

short time deal

M
Jeebus - if I didn't already have an 810, I'd jump all over that.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #28821
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Hey moodfart,

My LBS of choice is using the same kind of business model that you're contemplating. He has 2-3 shop rides a week and it really seems to help business. Check out his website: www.cyclopediaofredding.com
I read the link really quickly and thought "Cyclopedia of Fredding, that sounds like an awesome shop."

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #28822
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Good lessons learned there.

While not looking to become rich, I need to pay the bills.
Well I wish you nothing but success and joy doing something you love! My wife is very passionate about her teaching and works magic with little kids, but if she can't pay the bills she can't help anyone.

Another lesson we've learned over the years is that while a normal creditor like a bank can repossess a car/bike/motorcycle/house/jet ski/etc. that you purchased using credit from them, you can't repossess a service you've extended to someone. I'm a hydrogeologist and ran a consulting business for a while (siting water wells, doing environmental clean-ups, etc.) and played hell getting paid for my services sometimes. My wife has had to take two deadbeats to task for not paying tuition/fees and it is a huge PITA with a low return for effort expended. Small claims court is a black hole. If there's any way possible, hold on to the customer's bike (or something of value) until you are paid in full.

Riding news - it's glorious outside, zero breeze, blue sky, 77*F, modest humidity, green as it can be, so off for a spin! On my lunch ride I confirmed that chip seal does indeed suck the Big Wazoo. VDOT is gleefully ruining the rest of the road that they didn't trash yesterday. On a positive note, it's only two miles to the smooth real pavement and I did get to spray my favorite attack pit bull in the face with pepper spray (2nd time I've gotten him out of maybe 25 attacks by that fooker) AND I got to see a HUGE black snake sunning himself in one of the few spots VDOT hasn't covered with loose gravel on my road. He was COOL, stretched across about 3/5 of the road. All in all, a less-than-optimal ride is still a fantastic way to spend some time.

Doug
Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #28823
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,569
These guys seem to be trying way too hard to be badass,
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Funny though.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #28824
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post

Funny though.
I enjoyed some of those....very funny!

In reference to Rule #9, I've been called many thing. "Too stupid to come in out of the rain" comes to mind. Now, I find out that I'm "badass". Who knew?

Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #28825
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,630
Quote:

Funny though.
The rules have been around for years.

The only one I really care about is #5. We'll shout "HTFU" if one of us starts to snivel on a ride.

In the same vein, shouting, "Shut UP, legs!" is a great way to get a group laughing during a rough patch, assuming they know who Jens is. And they should, dammit.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #28826
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I've ridden in rain, hail, wind and snow. Yep, pretty much too stupid. Ridden in the wind, and even seen funnel clouds and motorhomes flying by.
Stupid. I didn't die and got stronger as a rider so I count it as a win.

I'm old enough now, I ignore most rules. Be they for sport and civility. I think there is a point where it is OK to finally not give a damn. I wear what is comfortable and if I think I'll be needing a lot of water, I carry it in a pack. Don't care what anybody thinks. They can go fucking thirsty. I prefer comfort. I am willing to make my legs sore, but, am no longer willing to put up with shaving. hell, I don't even shave my face on weekends, or vacation.
Once upon a time I entertained the notion that I could thrive only on a bike. A bicycle. I've found over time and moves I can't.
But, it is still a dream, an ideal.

Eddy was badass. Older and heavier as are most of us, I met him once during a stage race in Colorado. We talked a little as we could. He asked if the motorcycle I was on could wheelie, and was it fast. I answered with a wheelie and no it was not fast. Faster than a bicycle, faster than the earlier models, but not fast by racing standards. he was on a bicycle with just a couple of others. I only ever saw him race as have many this side of the pond on film, "The Stars and the Water Carriers", or "The Hell of The North".

Hinault was a badass too. I met him when he was still racing. He had that Eddy Lawson stare that seemed to turn anybody he looked at to stone.

Price of the bike has little to do with how badass the riders are. One year we met the Russian team. They had almost no kit with them, and what they did have was a mix and match. They were hard men though. Fit and tough. Funny guys too.

Anyway, back to rules. I look at rules as things to be broken. Unless breaking a rule would be a safety issue. As we all know, "Safety Third".

And above all nothing is that serious. You want to ride a wheelie on a $20K CF roadie. Fine by me. As long as it isn't mine.

Mountain bike on big goofy wheels? Fine. I still have 26 inch tires to wear out. I am cheap, and would ride a KLR if they weren't Kawasakis.

Bottom line: I'm going for ride tomorrow. Strava and a few others may record the event, route and document just about how slowly one old man can accomplish that. Screw the KOM, it's a ride not a race. As long as I'm still moving under my own power I am KOM!
Then I'll clean some on the house, and prep the motorcycle for my last stint in the desert. Again another stupid idea it's nearly 100 every damned day here. That helmet is going to smell like goats used it for a toilet, then set it to fester in that desert sun.

..'cause me and Eddy? well, you know we're badass.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #28827
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Old racers are allowed to break the rules 'cause they've already proven what a badass they are/were.

The ones that haven't proven what a badass they are, have to follow the rules.

Speaking of old riders... I saw a dood today on my ride in a Bell V-1! :eek IIRC his bike had exposed brake cables, so the combo fits.

4.5hrs of mixed surfaces. Probably 60/40 gravel. Ugh. Man are my legs beat!

M

edited to add: No WONDER my legs are tired. 7000ish feet of climbing on this route.

Gummee! screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 02:13 PM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #28828
somecallmetim
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I'll be looking at smaller, good quality companies to supply a line of in stock family bikes.
The Mom & Pop LBS around the corner from me carries Redline & the other brands from SBS...

http://www.seattlebikesupply.com/
Old 05-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #28829
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

When ever I've encountered chip seal, (cured) it always takes me back to a ride we did from downtown Denver north along Riverdale road out toward Fort Collins. i forget most of that ride other than there was a point along a frontage road on the East side of I-25 where the pavement had been removed. We hit that gravel at about the same time the sky opened up. This was not the usual afternoon shower, this was mid-morning on a Saturday. We rode 30 miles of washboard roadbase gravel finally hitting pavement when we turned west. We stopped at a cafe and asked if we could use the hose. Then were able to negotiate them bringing food out to the picnic table outside so we would not make a huge mess of their small place. That waitress got a good tip. The locals were entertained by a half dozen guys hosing themselves off, nearly completely covered in mud.
That was our version of Paris Roubaix. Chip/seal always reminds me of that and how great it feels when you hit the smooth stuff again.

The worst road I've ever ridden was the concrete plates between Sedalia and the Springs No idea what the road was now. Man the joints there beat your sore to the touch legs to death. Our wrists felt like they were shattered. rather than ride that ugly road back we tried the East side of I-25, only to be beaten by Castlerock by wind and snow, and a big nasty cold front out of the northwest.
The only one of our wives who happened to be home was the one furthest from us. We had a long cold wait outside that truckstop. I used up the two emergency twenties I carried in my tiresock that day feeding our sorry selves. When we had set off early that morning we had been assured of clear sailing and mild winter weather. Snow beginning as slush turning to sleet/ice/snow lashed by the wind and passing cars and big trucks nearly froze us.
That was back when a hundred miles wasn't far enough to feel like work. We began breaking our rules of no riding unless it was above freezing. That was modified to above 20, and was massively and comically violated at -20F. No body parts were lost but we were bruised from a full team ice-flip onto our collective backs as we turned around at the Buckley gate. At least the guards got a good chuckle.
Taught me the carbon fiber sole of my cycling shoes worked about as well on ice as dull skate blades.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #28830
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
When ever I've encountered chip seal, (cured) it always takes me back to a ride we did from downtown Denver north along Riverdale road out toward Fort Collins. i forget most of that ride other than there was a point along a frontage road on the East side of I-25 where the pavement had been removed. We hit that gravel at about the same time the sky opened up. This was not the usual afternoon shower, this was mid-morning on a Saturday. We rode 30 miles of washboard roadbase gravel finally hitting pavement when we turned west. We stopped at a cafe and asked if we could use the hose. Then were able to negotiate them bringing food out to the picnic table outside so we would not make a huge mess of their small place. That waitress got a good tip. The locals were entertained by a half dozen guys hosing themselves off, nearly completely covered in mud.
That was our version of Paris Roubaix. Chip/seal always reminds me of that and how great it feels when you hit the smooth stuff again.

The worst road I've ever ridden was the concrete plates between Sedalia and the Springs No idea what the road was now. Man the joints there beat your sore to the touch legs to death. Our wrists felt like they were shattered. rather than ride that ugly road back we tried the East side of I-25, only to be beaten by Castlerock by wind and snow, and a big nasty cold front out of the northwest.
The only one of our wives who happened to be home was the one furthest from us. We had a long cold wait outside that truckstop. I used up the two emergency twenties I carried in my tiresock that day feeding our sorry selves. When we had set off early that morning we had been assured of clear sailing and mild winter weather. Snow beginning as slush turning to sleet/ice/snow lashed by the wind and passing cars and big trucks nearly froze us.
That was back when a hundred miles wasn't far enough to feel like work. We began breaking our rules of no riding unless it was above freezing. That was modified to above 20, and was massively and comically violated at -20F. No body parts were lost but we were bruised from a full team ice-flip onto our collective backs as we turned around at the Buckley gate. At least the guards got a good chuckle.
Taught me the carbon fiber sole of my cycling shoes worked about as well on ice as dull skate blades.
I don't have either an upper or lower limit to the temps I'll ride in. ...as long as it isn't icy/snowy, I'm game. ...and even when its snowy, if I'm caught out in it, I'll still keep going. We started one ride this winter at 19deg F. The bridge of my nose froze till I got warmed up!

Drivers around here suck badly enough that riding right after a snowstorm is a risky proposition, so see above for icy/snowy. I'll usually *gasp!* ride a trainer instead. Rode zero trainer days last winter and 2 this winter. Can you tell I HATE trainers?!

All goes back to 'no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate gear.'

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: