User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #16
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,632
Entries open for Dakar 2014

Entries opened today and are open until July 9'th for newbies like me - unless they close early due to over-subscription, which happens occasionally.

So I've started the process of the on-line entry. What a pollava that is! I see I'll be spending a bit of time at work photocopying 50 million documents and searching the internet for results sheets and searching my albums for good photo's that prove I was at the events I claim I was at.

A tricky bit will be providing the registration details for my bike (it's not registered yet) and providing details of the service vehicle (I didn't think I'd need those details this early in the piece).

I'll post up a piccie of the glossy brochure type "Rider Profile" I have to snail-mail to them (although I cheated and already emailed it to a couple of ASO guys earlier this week).

More soon.
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,290
Awesome!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,361
Heya Jaybo

With our circumstances having changed we will be there.

So, there are a few other kiwis and Ozzies as well so there will be a reasonable group.

While we are on a budget that has taking a pounding so we can't offer you coin but I offer myself and my bike as a helper if needed.

If the Bolivian section doesn't allow cars then maybe it is on the cards to assist with transport of components or whatever if needed via a bike .

Food for thought.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

So here's my Rider Profile I promised to post up:

I transferred 6.000 Euro to the ASO last night (AU$8,416) as a deposit for my entry! I'd better put some thought into fundraising soon huh! It starts getting very, very real.

I also spoke with a Chilean team manager about what they offer in the way of support packages an vehicle rental. They do a package of "just walk off the plane with your gearbag" for about 25.000 Euro (AU$35,067) - that's hiring a KTM 450 Rally and full mechanical and logistical support. Not a bad option ... if I didn't already have a KTM 450 Rally that cost me AU$50,500!!! Worth considering though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis
Heya Jaybo
With our circumstances having changed we will be there.
So, there are a few other kiwis and Ozzies as well so there will be a reasonable group.
While we are on a budget that has taking a pounding so we can't offer you coin but I offer myself and my bike as a helper if needed.
If the Bolivian section doesn't allow cars then maybe it is on the cards to assist with transport of components or whatever if needed via a bike .
Food for thought.
Glad to know you'll be there too. The Bolivia legs will be "Marathon" days, so no outside assistance or support is allowed. You never know what might might eventuate though, and sneaky things have happened in the past to scrape people through, so definitely look me up when you're there. Any idea where you'll be and when? They say the rest day (January 11'th in Salta) is the best place to catch up with the circus, as access to the Bivouac is likely to be easier and the competitors are around (assuming I made it into the Bivvy the night before).

More details as they develop.
Ciao
Old 06-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #20
Karl772
Rally Nut

Oddometer: 26
Looking great Jaybo
I'll be keeping a close eye on your progress over the rest of the year with your preparations & progress then updates through out Dakar itself.

Your in good hands with Don and Ben as your support crew.

Are you still planning to give Safari a miss this year and focus fully on Dakar, I recall us breifly speaking about it in Geraldton after last years Safari

All the best
Karl772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #21
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl772 View Post
Looking great Jaybo
I'll be keeping a close eye on your progress over the rest of the year with your preparations & progress then updates through out Dakar itself.

Your in good hands with Don and Ben as your support crew.

Are you still planning to give Safari a miss this year and focus fully on Dakar, I recall us breifly speaking about it in Geraldton after last years Safari

All the best
Good to have you along for the ride Karl.
I am not planning on riding the Safari this year. The only way I might be a late Safari entry would be if the ASO reject my Dakar entry application. Then I would enter the Safari and enter the Dakar Challenge. The only other way would be if a very generous sponsor came along and paid squillions to enable me to do it. The reason is I simply can't afford the time off for Safari and the Dakar. Every day I take off work is another cut to the funds for Dakar budget. Seeing as I'm already waaay short of what's required, and will soon be putting my hand out in several directions, I can't do both events. I'm even missing the Australian 4-Day Enduro this year, despite it being run in my backyard here in WA, once again because it requires taking time off work.

On the positive side, I did compete in a 2-day Enduro, rounds 2 & 3 of the WA State Enduro Champs, last weekend. I really enjoyed the ride, finishing 15'th in the Masters class on day 1. Day 2 started out great, in fact I felt better the more I rode, until I had a small fall over a log on the 2nd to last loop. I jumped up pretty quickly and picked the bike up and hit the starter button and ... nothing ... dead. Took me a while to repair a torn wire and I ended up losing 16 minutes of trail time. That threw me down to 26'th for day 2. Ah well - I still enjoyed the weekend. It was great to be back out there on the old faithful 530.

I sent Ben a little present yesterday to psyche him up for his trip. Hopefully he'll post a piccy when he gets it. I agree - Don and Ben will be a valuable asset to my effort and I already know I'll be in their debt forever for my successful finish!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Ohh pressies, it's like christmas only better

Great to see your out on the 530 getting some seat time in.

GO BRO GO.......
topo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #23
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Still a bit quiet around here. This waiting to find out if my entry is accepted is a little tedious.
I did manage to get around to Tyres for Bikes in Vic Park this afternoon and pick up my tyre order for Dakar. Packed into my little Land Rover:

...and stacked in the shed:

So I have something like 9 front and 11 rear Michelin Desert tyres. (The Mousses are on order and should be here in a week or two). There are likely to be two Marathon days, that require one set of tyres to last for two days, plus the first day is generally a bitumen liaison from the official start ceremony followed by a day of fairly straight forward dirt roads. So for 14 days of riding, I should be okay. If things change in the meantime, I have a few barely used tyres lying around that I can press into service to take with us.

More soon.
Ciao
JayBo
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,062
Better mileage from Shinko 705's though...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:04 AM   #25
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Better mileage from Shinko 705's though...
Tell you what - come January I'll do a quick check around the bivouac and count the number of Shinko 705s I see and compare to number of Michelin Deserts. Wonder how they'd go in the dunes?
Mileage doesn't count - they only have to last one day, except for the odd two day stint for Marathon days. Think I'll stick with my trusty Michelin Deserts.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
NordieBoy
Armature speller

They go OK in the dunes if they're hard packed and you're gentle with the throttle. I don't see a problem.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Wonder how something like an MT43 would go on the back?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #28
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Wonder how something like an MT43 would go on the back?

I admit that the new era of enduro bikes being turned into quite good Rally bikes is changing the scene for tyres, but for me to be absolutely sure that tyre problems don't end my Dakar dream I'll be sticking with a tried and proven formula - Michelin M02 Rally Mousse inside a 140/80x18 Michelin Desert Race rear tyre and Michelin M14 Enduro Mousse inside a 90/90x21 Michelin Desert Race front tyre. This has served me well for several years of Safari's and served many people well in many years of Dakars.
Michelin have actually updated the technology of the Desert range of tyres to suit the new 450cc limit of the Dakar, so they are committed to being the best tyre for that event. The perfect tyre to suit my perfect Dakar bike!

So thank-you Michelin for helping me out a bit and being a better product than all the "other" brands, for this particular event and bike.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #29
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Not having a dig here sport... wondering
What links dose this Ozzie based KIWI safari team have
with NZ ..

PS... hope yer bikes going to be black....

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 08:45 PM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #30
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
Not having a dig here sport... wondering
What links dose this Ozzie based KIWI safari team have
with NZ ..

PS... hope yer bikes going to be black....

They're all Kiwis, Jaybo1 is just a kiwi based in OZ

My XT225 Build
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote