ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #8746
rdkyote
Adventurer
 
rdkyote's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
On the move, no problem. Slower technical or in traffic my '12 get damn hot. It has never gone past 11 bars and the fan seems to bring it back down quickly but I noticed the other day a little coolant leaked past my rad cap (??) Gave the cap a little twist to tighten it up and will monitor. Likely when I shut the hot bike off the heat kept building without the benefit of the fan coming on. Seems to me having it run a bit cooler with the fan coming on lower would be a benefit. I know there was some debate about whether lower the operating temp was good or not but I think changing the switch doesn't result in the bike being taken out of it's operating temp range so I can't see the issue. Probably going to order the Kawi switch.
Anybody know what the temp actually is at 11-12 bars. Mines been there in the same situation and hasn't blown up. Maybe that's in the manual if i can find it...
__________________
2012 KTM 690 Enduro R
2007 KTM 250 XC
rdkyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #8747
MAXVERT
Rough Rider
 
MAXVERT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Sun Valley Idaho, Baja Arizona
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
The 500 is amazeballs feels like a 250 the way it handles goes like hell , best suspension ever ,
Plus one on that.
KTM has done wondrous things with the 500xcw.
It's perfect for riding to the trail head and having a day of single track.

But I can't thing of a more capable bike to do rides like the CDR
and other multi day DS rides.

Max
__________________
Da oggi la strada
senza limiti
MAXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #8748
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kiffernathan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: S'toon, Canada
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
KLX250 w/351 BB, stroker, pumper carb, KX250 suspension AND modified subframe
That's all fine and good, but for those without a pile of mechanical ability and time that KLX is going to cost as much as a new 690. Probably close to double the price of a KLR. Plus the 690 has a TON more power than any KLX could ever hope to make.

Maybe when Kawasaki makes that bike from factory for a reasonable price (why on earth don't they??) I'll consider it, but for now my 690 is the way to go.
__________________
Chris
2009 F800GS
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #8749
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GezwindeSpoed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The land of the Dutchmen
Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
On the move, no problem. Slower technical or in traffic my '12 get damn hot. It has never gone past 11 bars and the fan seems to bring it back down quickly but I noticed the other day a little coolant leaked past my rad cap (??) Gave the cap a little twist to tighten it up and will monitor. Likely when I shut the hot bike off the heat kept building without the benefit of the fan coming on. Seems to me having it run a bit cooler with the fan coming on lower would be a benefit. I know there was some debate about whether lower the operating temp was good or not but I think changing the switch doesn't result in the bike being taken out of it's operating temp range so I can't see the issue. Probably going to order the Kawi switch.
Got my fan running all day long during the kings stage on the Tuareg rally 2011 (250km of dunes) never got it to boil over. Neither in very technical and slow riding in Spain. So why fix something which aint broken.
__________________
FE570; CB500X; KLE500
GezwindeSpoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #8750
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
On the move, no problem. Slower technical or in traffic my '12 get damn hot. It has never gone past 11 bars and the fan seems to bring it back down quickly but I noticed the other day a little coolant leaked past my rad cap (??) Gave the cap a little twist to tighten it up and will monitor. Likely when I shut the hot bike off the heat kept building without the benefit of the fan coming on. Seems to me having it run a bit cooler with the fan coming on lower would be a benefit. I know there was some debate about whether lower the operating temp was good or not but I think changing the switch doesn't result in the bike being taken out of it's operating temp range so I can't see the issue. Probably going to order the Kawi switch.
+1

Try Engine Ice - the local dealership reckon it's the beez knees for hot Katos ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #8751
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Way off topic but I think the KLX makes the KLR obsolute. Along with my 690 I have a KLX250 w/351 BB, stroker, pumper carb, KX250 suspension AND modified subframe that can easily carry 150lbs.

On the freeway top speed is the same as the KLR, vibes are about the same, I can pack MORE weight if I wanted to AND I've got 90,000 KM with no mechanical problems! I can't comment on which is easier to work on but the KLX is pretty easy.

Off road it's 150 lbs less than the KLR650 (45 less than my 690) and of course the suspension beats the 690 (not fair - KX250 suspension customized to me vs stock 690) and absolutely blows away the KLR.
I put 50,000km on a KLR over 18 months, and wouldn't have swapped it for any other bike - gravel roads mostly, and some bitumen as well - never missed a beat - have only ridden a KLX250 for a short spell, but have difficulty seeing the comparison ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #8752
blakrj
Need to ride
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Way off topic but I think the KLX makes the KLR obsolute. Along with my 690 I have a KLX250 w/351 BB, stroker, pumper carb, KX250 suspension AND modified subframe that can easily carry 150lbs.

On the freeway top speed is the same as the KLR, vibes are about the same, I can pack MORE weight if I wanted to AND I've got 90,000 KM with no mechanical problems! I can't comment on which is easier to work on but the KLX is pretty easy.

Off road it's 150 lbs less than the KLR650 (45 less than my 690) and of course the suspension beats the 690 (not fair - KX250 suspension customized to me vs stock 690) and absolutely blows away the KLR.
I must have been riding a completely different KLX. The stock suspension is the worst I've ever experienced off road. Its soft, wallows, and instills a complete lack of confidence. The WR450 suspension was a league above and the YZ450 a league above that. Yes, the 690 stock suspenders are a bit harsh, but easily remedied and I'm very happy with how they're performing right now. Maybe its different strokes for different folks.
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R (stolen)
2008 Yamaha YZ450, 2002 Yamaha YZ426
www.bruneibikers.com
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #8753
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post
What does the fan switch do? Thanks
Makes your battery run down faster from switching the fan on more often.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #8754
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkyote View Post
Anybody know what the temp actually is at 11-12 bars. Mines been there in the same situation and hasn't blown up. Maybe that's in the manual if i can find it...
Mines been doing it for 5 years and 29K miles and hasn't blown up yet.
Back when I had a rad leak, it never overheated running around some technical stuff with the rad only half full. Contrary to what some of the chicken littles would have you to believe, it really doesn't make any difference if the fan kicks on a little sooner. Heck, I have a water cooled bike that doesn't even have a fan.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #8755
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffernathan View Post
That's all fine and good, but for those without a pile of mechanical ability and time that KLX is going to cost as much as a new 690. Probably close to double the price of a KLR. Plus the 690 has a TON more power than any KLX could ever hope to make.

Maybe when Kawasaki makes that bike from factory for a reasonable price (why on earth don't they??) I'll consider it, but for now my 690 is the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I put 50,000km on a KLR over 18 months, and wouldn't have swapped it for any other bike - gravel roads mostly, and some bitumen as well - never missed a beat - have only ridden a KLX250 for a short spell, but have difficulty seeing the comparison ...
My earlier point was I thought my KLX"351" made the KLR650 obsolete - not the 690. I threw it out there cuz I couldn't think of any category where the KLR keeps ups with the KLX - reliability, ease of maintenance, how much you can carry, freeway manners etc (not to mention blowing it away off road). Kiffernathan brought up something I was missing - the entry price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
I must have been riding a completely different KLX. The stock suspension is the worst I've ever experienced off road.
I'm sure you were. The KLX 250's claim to fame is massive room for improvement! I know of no other bike that can be improved as much, as easily, as cheaply and still be reliable. Stock it makes about 1/3 the HP of the 690; for $1500 USD it nearly doubles that power to almost 2/3 in a package probably 3X as reliable and 10X easier to work on as the 690.
Suspension wise I've got custom KX forks reworked to my weight. I would still say the 11 1/2" of the older KLX was on par with my 690E but not even close to the R's suspension. Back on topic to the 690 I don't think there is any comparison to the R and the E's suspension. In my opinion the R is 300% better off road and the E is 15% better on road.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #8756
StepOnIt
Assitoner
 
StepOnIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Huntsville ON.
Oddometer: 1,026
Laugh Big fan of the fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Makes your battery run down faster from switching the fan on more often.
The thermo died awhile ago and I just put in a switch to turn the fan on.
So any time I go off roading I just flick a switch and leave the fan running.
I also have the switch set up to turn off with the key so it won't drain my battery just in case.
__________________
The road less traveled is the road I travel more.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #8757
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.
 
v8toilet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest U.S.
Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
My earlier point was I thought my KLX"351" made the KLR650 obsolete - not the 690. I threw it out there cuz I couldn't think of any category where the KLR keeps ups with the KLX - reliability, ease of maintenance, how much you can carry, freeway manners etc (not to mention blowing it away off road). Kiffernathan brought up something I was missing - the entry price.



I'm sure you were. The KLX 250's claim to fame is massive room for improvement! I know of no other bike that can be improved as much, as easily, as cheaply and still be reliable. Stock it makes about 1/3 the HP of the 690; for $1500 USD it nearly doubles that power to almost 2/3 in a package probably 3X as reliable and 10X easier to work on as the 690.
Suspension wise I've got custom KX forks reworked to my weight. I would still say the 11 1/2" of the older KLX was on par with my 690E but not even close to the R's suspension. Back on topic to the 690 I don't think there is any comparison to the R and the E's suspension. In my opinion the R is 300% better off road and the E is 15% better on road.
While I fully understand your points, your KLX is no longer a KLX. Modified subframe, different forks, BB kit. The stock klx is a mediocre underwhelming bike. I'm glad there's an aftermarket to save it, if I find a cheap one I might pick it up just for fun. Even comparing it to the KLR is apples to oranges. Different mission, flat and Phillips are both screwdrivers but one won't replace the other without modification or compromise. Compromise is really is what this whole forum is about, no bike is the ideal tool for every job so we pick one that is closest and either fix the faults with $$ or live with them.

Now back to the 690 thread.

v8toilet screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 09:13 AM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #8758
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 200
I'm thinking of getting a set of roxx bar risers (1.5") but down the line want to add a Scotts dampener. And idea whether there will be conflicts or not? I understand I can raise the bars 3" and will have to rotate the throttle downwards but other than that there shouldn't be an issue. Correct?
__________________
2010 KTM 690 Enduro r (Current)
LOADED 2008 KLR (Sold)
2000 Ducati Monster 750 (Sold)
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #8759
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.
 
v8toilet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest U.S.
Oddometer: 1,741
My 08 had the ROX anti vibes and a Scotts with no issues that I can remember.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #8760
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I threw it out there cuz I couldn't think of any category where the KLR keeps ups with the KLX ...
I think you might need to try some long distance touring ... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

The KLX 250's claim to fame is massive room for improvement! I know of no other bike that can be improved as much, as easily, as cheaply and still be reliable.
DR650 ... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

Stock it makes about 1/3 the HP of the 690; for $1500 USD it nearly doubles that power to almost 2/3 in a package probably 3X as reliable and 10X easier to work on as the 690.
Double the HP ... ? Are you replacing its engine ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015