Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #8791
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post
What does the fan switch do? Thanks
Makes your battery run down faster from switching the fan on more often.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #8792
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkyote View Post
Anybody know what the temp actually is at 11-12 bars. Mines been there in the same situation and hasn't blown up. Maybe that's in the manual if i can find it...
Mines been doing it for 5 years and 29K miles and hasn't blown up yet.
Back when I had a rad leak, it never overheated running around some technical stuff with the rad only half full. Contrary to what some of the chicken littles would have you to believe, it really doesn't make any difference if the fan kicks on a little sooner. Heck, I have a water cooled bike that doesn't even have a fan.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #8793
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffernathan View Post
That's all fine and good, but for those without a pile of mechanical ability and time that KLX is going to cost as much as a new 690. Probably close to double the price of a KLR. Plus the 690 has a TON more power than any KLX could ever hope to make.

Maybe when Kawasaki makes that bike from factory for a reasonable price (why on earth don't they??) I'll consider it, but for now my 690 is the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I put 50,000km on a KLR over 18 months, and wouldn't have swapped it for any other bike - gravel roads mostly, and some bitumen as well - never missed a beat - have only ridden a KLX250 for a short spell, but have difficulty seeing the comparison ...
My earlier point was I thought my KLX"351" made the KLR650 obsolete - not the 690. I threw it out there cuz I couldn't think of any category where the KLR keeps ups with the KLX - reliability, ease of maintenance, how much you can carry, freeway manners etc (not to mention blowing it away off road). Kiffernathan brought up something I was missing - the entry price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
I must have been riding a completely different KLX. The stock suspension is the worst I've ever experienced off road.
I'm sure you were. The KLX 250's claim to fame is massive room for improvement! I know of no other bike that can be improved as much, as easily, as cheaply and still be reliable. Stock it makes about 1/3 the HP of the 690; for $1500 USD it nearly doubles that power to almost 2/3 in a package probably 3X as reliable and 10X easier to work on as the 690.
Suspension wise I've got custom KX forks reworked to my weight. I would still say the 11 1/2" of the older KLX was on par with my 690E but not even close to the R's suspension. Back on topic to the 690 I don't think there is any comparison to the R and the E's suspension. In my opinion the R is 300% better off road and the E is 15% better on road.
rickypanecatyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #8794
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
Laugh Big fan of the fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Makes your battery run down faster from switching the fan on more often.
The thermo died awhile ago and I just put in a switch to turn the fan on.
So any time I go off roading I just flick a switch and leave the fan running.
I also have the switch set up to turn off with the key so it won't drain my battery just in case.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #8795
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
My earlier point was I thought my KLX"351" made the KLR650 obsolete - not the 690. I threw it out there cuz I couldn't think of any category where the KLR keeps ups with the KLX - reliability, ease of maintenance, how much you can carry, freeway manners etc (not to mention blowing it away off road). Kiffernathan brought up something I was missing - the entry price.

I'm sure you were. The KLX 250's claim to fame is massive room for improvement! I know of no other bike that can be improved as much, as easily, as cheaply and still be reliable. Stock it makes about 1/3 the HP of the 690; for $1500 USD it nearly doubles that power to almost 2/3 in a package probably 3X as reliable and 10X easier to work on as the 690.
Suspension wise I've got custom KX forks reworked to my weight. I would still say the 11 1/2" of the older KLX was on par with my 690E but not even close to the R's suspension. Back on topic to the 690 I don't think there is any comparison to the R and the E's suspension. In my opinion the R is 300% better off road and the E is 15% better on road.
While I fully understand your points, your KLX is no longer a KLX. Modified subframe, different forks, BB kit. The stock klx is a mediocre underwhelming bike. I'm glad there's an aftermarket to save it, if I find a cheap one I might pick it up just for fun. Even comparing it to the KLR is apples to oranges. Different mission, flat and Phillips are both screwdrivers but one won't replace the other without modification or compromise. Compromise is really is what this whole forum is about, no bike is the ideal tool for every job so we pick one that is closest and either fix the faults with $$ or live with them.

Now back to the 690 thread.

v8toilet screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 09:13 AM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #8796
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I'm thinking of getting a set of roxx bar risers (1.5") but down the line want to add a Scotts dampener. And idea whether there will be conflicts or not? I understand I can raise the bars 3" and will have to rotate the throttle downwards but other than that there shouldn't be an issue. Correct?
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #8797
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,701
My 08 had the ROX anti vibes and a Scotts with no issues that I can remember.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #8798
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
I threw it out there cuz I couldn't think of any category where the KLR keeps ups with the KLX ...
I think you might need to try some long distance touring ... :-)

Quote:

The KLX 250's claim to fame is massive room for improvement! I know of no other bike that can be improved as much, as easily, as cheaply and still be reliable.
DR650 ... ?

Quote:

Stock it makes about 1/3 the HP of the 690; for $1500 USD it nearly doubles that power to almost 2/3 in a package probably 3X as reliable and 10X easier to work on as the 690.
Double the HP ... ? Are you replacing its engine ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #8799
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Perfect man, thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
My 08 had the ROX anti vibes and a Scotts with no issues that I can remember.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #8800
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
few days back installed the CJdesigns' fuel filler, LOVING IT.

one minor problem thou, so far did 4 fill up. About 5 mins after filling up the bike, it started leaking fuel from the overflow (about 100ml or so?)

didn't had this problem with the stock filler cap. fill up with nozzle fully inserted and stop upon click.

anyone encountered this?
13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #8801
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Seth,
Please check your PM's
I need to speak to you !!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #8802
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,217
It is important to use a one way valve on that cap. Since I don't have the canister for the overflow I plugged that side hole and installed a regular tank one way vent with nipple.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #8803
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Can't say that's happened to me. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13x View Post
few days back installed the CJdesigns' fuel filler, LOVING IT.

one minor problem thou, so far did 4 fill up. About 5 mins after filling up the bike, it started leaking fuel from the overflow (about 100ml or so?)

didn't had this problem with the stock filler cap. fill up with nozzle fully inserted and stop upon click.

anyone encountered this?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #8804
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
The thermo died awhile ago and I just put in a switch to turn the fan on.
So any time I go off roading I just flick a switch and leave the fan running.
I also have the switch set up to turn off with the key so it won't drain my battery just in case.

seems your parts and my parts are all dying at the same time... looks fishy
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #8805
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
I have the evo1 map with the full akrapovic exhaust. I originally purchased the slipon and recently purchased the header. After installing the header I did the 15 minute reset. It was dark out so I was able to see the first 8 inches glow. Any reason why it would run leaner after putting the header on? I have a local shop that said they would remap it with a custom map for $150. Should I just go ahead and have them do it?

Also, what kind of coolant is in these bikes from the factory? Would it be wise to flush it and refill with engine ice?
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'10 Yamaha TW200 '07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote