Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #6646
swaino
08 FLHT

Oddometer: 39
KLR cut out

Hello all, i'm seeking some opinions

I was riding my 08 KLR yesterday when, after about a half hour ride my bike just cut out.
I rolled to a stop and tried a quick fix fuel check but all seem fine.
I have to go and retrieve it in the morning and was hoping for a few ideas.
Does the KLR have a low oil cut out?
Thoughts anyone.

Adrian
swaino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #6647
jayareus
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Do the 09 models burn oil? Also...... what does it mean to say that bike "burns oil?"
From what I've read this seems to be mostly a problem with the 08 models, but some people have complained about it in 09s. Is there a way to tell which 09s burn and is there an easy fix? I'm thinking of buying from someone on craigslist with 700 miles and they say they haven't noticed anything with the oil...

jayareus screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 06:05 AM
jayareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #6648
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaino View Post
Hello all, i'm seeking some opinions

I was riding my 08 KLR yesterday when, after about a half hour ride my bike just cut out.
I rolled to a stop and tried a quick fix fuel check but all seem fine.
I have to go and retrieve it in the morning and was hoping for a few ideas.
Does the KLR have a low oil cut out?
Thoughts anyone.

Adrian
how many miles on your KLR brother?

Sounds like it could be an electrical short or fault as much as anything else. Check the big 20 A main fuse, it's not in the fusebox under the seat. If it's blown and blows right away when you replace it, report back. You have a fault in your harness somewhere.

Unstable Rider screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 06:23 AM
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #6649
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayareus View Post
Do the 09 models burn oil? Also...... what does it mean to say that bike "burns oil?"
From what I've read this seems to be mostly a problem with the 08 models, but some people have complained about it in 09s. Is there a way to tell which 09s burn and is there an easy fix? I'm thinking of buying from someone on craigslist with 7000 miles and they say they haven't noticed anything with the oil...
I would not necessarily be suspicious. Those are no miles, and someone decided it was just not for them, needs the money, or moved on to a bigger bike.

The 2009 is just fine. Kawasaki changed the piston and or rings, as the 2008 models had some potential oil use issues. When they say "burns oil", it typically means there is space or slack between the piston rings and cylinder wall, we are talking 100 thousands of a inch or less, but enough from a fault, worn area, etc to allow engine oil from the crankcase below the cylinder or "jug" to sneak through around the piston or rings, and the oil makes it topside above the piston and ends up "burning up" or getting fired in sort of a gas oil mix near the spark plug. The result may be the bike smokes a little after it is warmed up (many normal bikes can smoke a couple seconds when they first start). The end result, a bike with this fault or "wear" will use or "burn" oil at a more rapid rate than other bikes. You have to really watch the oil level on a KLR (and all bikes), as the KLR is a fatty massive single cylinder, a lot of constant freeway riding can "consume" more oil that slower riding, but it's still considered normal "consumption", you just have to watch it. Check the oil when you stop for fuel, always. Check it in the morning before a ride. Check it at lunch time if you stop somewhere when the bike has cooled off a bit. My riding group carries some oil in those aluminum drink bottles that the kids carry water around in. Walgreen's, Menard's, etc has them for cheap, Walgreen's has a shorty version for $2.99 that is easily toted, mine has never leaked and I carry it in a tool tube. The consumption may only be a tablespoon or so for several hundred miles on a good engine, or it can be a half a quart on a really bad engine.

One thing that the manual may be incorrect on is, when the KLR is standing straight up and down erect () and not leaning on the side stand, the oil "goats eye" window should be covered or almost covered, but not overfilled. The manual I believe says "half way" and that has been argued as not being safe. The manual also for years has said we have six gears, and we certainly have only five.

The KLR is a fine utility bike, it's rolling farm machinery that is dead simple and reliable, but they are the bike that is made GREAT by their riders.

Pick up that 2009 with confidence, and join us brother.

I want to insert a disclaimer here stating that not all 2008 models had oil consumption problems. Many, many of the 2008's were just fine. Much of the stigma of KLR's in general burning or using oil really has as much to do with how it's RIDER-OWNER took care of it. If you ran it low on oil on an occasion or two, the bike is not going to be happy with you. That has nothing to do with the quality of the bike, that could happen on a KTM, BMW, etc.

I serviced a very late model BMW GS650 at work (when I was still working). It had been liquidated at our dealership, the guy stated he bought it to recon mountain bike trails in his remote area, he did not have any bags or anything on it and kept the bike stock. Nice bike, the little GS650 a quality machine. It had only 400 miles on it, he said it really never even had seen blacktop much, he mostly trailered it to the "target", rode and mapped potential wilderness routes for his fellow mountain bikers, took notes and returned home.

That story so far would have most of us reaching for our wallets to snag that bike. I checked the oil, and I swear it took a quart to bring it up to level. I personally, would not have bought that bike for the world, not sure why a bike with 400 miles on it would be that low on oil, and it may have been a warrantied thing, but that kind of thing would always bug me. My boss auctioned the bike off and it sold to someone in Canada...

End story, I own a 2009 KLR, two of my riding chums have the 2009's as well. We collectivly must have sixty or seventy thousand on these things, I have 26K on mine, and the oil thing or the running order of the bike has never been a concern. You do want to replace the doo hickey and doo spring. I will let someone else explain that one...

Unstable Rider screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 06:24 AM
Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #6650
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
From what I've read this seems to be mostly a problem with the 08 models, but some people have complained about it in 09s. Is there a way to tell which 09s burn and is there an easy fix? I'm thinking of buying from someone on craigslist with 700 miles and they say they haven't noticed anything with the oil...
With only 700 miles on it they probably didn't notice anything about the bike.
Woodenveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #6651
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
I get a lot of KLR's through my shop. I've seen excessive oil burners (1qt every 1000 miles) up through 2010's. Not many 2010's but enough to raise an eyebrow. Commonality to oil burners is lots of high speed highway riding.

Personally, I'd seek out an 08 due to bad reputation (lots of other first year issues - all easily fixed in your own garage). The discount you can get on one can more than make up for the cost of a big bore kit which solves for good any future oil burning issues. www.eaglemike.com

On a side note...the 08-09's sure have driven up the costs of used OEM heads. Owners need to check their oil EVERY TIME they fuel up.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #6652
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
I miss ordered and got a 3 1/2" wide front tire has anyone tried to fit it on?
It's a Kenda 270 that is what's on there now but 3"

TOM

EDIT 3.25 my tablet changed it on me for some reason

fat fingered on a droid

tommu56 screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 12:54 PM
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #6653
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
I get a lot of KLR's through my shop. I've seen excessive oil burners (1qt every 1000 miles) up through 2010's. Not many 2010's but enough to raise an eyebrow. Commonality to oil burners is lots of high speed highway riding.

Personally, I'd seek out an 08 due to bad reputation (lots of other first year issues - all easily fixed in your own garage). The discount you can get on one can more than make up for the cost of a big bore kit which solves for good any future oil burning issues. www.eaglemike.com

On a side note...the 08-09's sure have driven up the costs of used OEM heads. Owners need to check their oil EVERY TIME they fuel up.
On a KLR it's so easy to check the oil I do it all the time,mine isn't a burner but I just tilt it up level often and look,I have spent my life on heavy equipment and checking oil is part of my routine,but ya folks at least every fill up if not every morning!
I see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #6654
jayareus
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Oh man, thanks so much for all the helpful replies, and for taking the time to type it all out for a newbie.
So it sounds like even if the bike starts burning too much oil, I can either just carry some with me and top it off to make sure it's always above half full? Or I can get it fixed with a big bore kit?
I'm mostly going to use the bike for commuting, so I figure this will not be a huge issue as it'll be a while before I add another 1000 miles to it, but how often should I be changing the oil otherwise?
...I guess what I'm asking for is a good resource for very basic newbie maintenance questions. I have zero mechanical experience, only driving cars where you don't really have to worry about this sort of stuff. :/
jayareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #6655
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

PM coming your way.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #6656
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Oh man, thanks so much for all the helpful replies, and for taking the time to type it all out for a newbie.
So it sounds like even if the bike starts burning too much oil, I can either just carry some with me and top it off to make sure it's always above half full? Or I can get it fixed with a big bore kit?
I'm mostly going to use the bike for commuting, so I figure this will not be a huge issue as it'll be a while before I add another 1000 miles to it, but how often should I be changing the oil otherwise?
...I guess what I'm asking for is a good resource for very basic newbie maintenance questions. I have zero mechanical experience, only driving cars where you don't really have to worry about this sort of stuff. :/
If you ever owned a aircooled Volkswagon than owning a KLR will be a treat,and KLR valve adjustment intervals are longer than a VW.I know cause I used to do VW's now it's KLR's.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #6657
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

That is effing funny.

Growing up in the 60's, I know what you are speaking of.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #6658
8lives
Runnin on wonder

If John Muir was still around he would be writing How To Keep Your KLR Alive.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #6659
JBradley500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I check the oil on my '05 every time i ride, whether it's before or after the ride i don't care but i try and make a habit of it.
JBradley500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #6660
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradley500 View Post
I check the oil on my '05 every time i ride, whether it's before or after the ride i don't care but i try and make a habit of it.
Me too!Full is more important than clean,well unless you let it get to dirty,but we are just talkin full fer now.