User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #15916
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Got some goodies.

sup guys, well i got curious about my popping on decel that bike has had since i got it..figured i'd invstigate. Grabbed my parts carb and found a 140 main, and a 37.5 pilot. ALso found an adjustable Needle (6 position) I pulled plug and looked at it just to see what it indicated...it indicated LEAN!! pretty white actually. thats not cool. SO...anyone got suggestions on what to do here? its all stock as far as i can tell. has the single hole in air box top, factory exhaust. I was only curious. i hate to start monkeying with it, cuz it runs great, but hey...i dont wanna burn the top off it either! Ughh..one of those sick feelings in my stomach now! Looks like ill have to get ahold of Mr Bender for a Carb kit too! haha.

PS, its the CV carb.

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa

mustangwagz screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 03:34 AM Reason: added carb info
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #15917
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Here's my take on float level. I'm sure someone will correct me if I wrong, but it's worked for me for 40+ years. I like to set my float level at factory specs just as a known starting point so I have a known value before I start fooling around with jets for higher altitude applications. In the extremes of float level adjustments, to low of a fuel level will starve the jets and to high will over flow the bowl. Between those limits there is a small level of "adjustment". The higher the fuel level the more head pressure you have on the jets (pressure is dependent on the height of a liquid) and on top of that is air pressure (variable due to altitude) trying to push the fuel up through the jets into the carb throat. When the piston drops and atmospheric pressure pushes air through the carb and Mr. Bernoulli takes over and drops the pressure in the carb throat, the liquid head pressure and air pressure pushing on the fuel can now push fuel into the carb intake flow. I don't know how much difference a mm more or less of fuel level influences rich/lean mixtures (while you are running down a rocky jeep trail bouncing all over the place) has, But I still like knowing I've got my fuel level set in that sweet spot some where in the middle.

Here's a thread on float level symtoms. Unfortunately the link in the referenced post doesn't work anymore, but still interesting and there's lots of discussion on the web on this topic.... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110771
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #15918
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
sup guys, well i got curious about my popping on decel that bike has had since i got it..figured i'd invstigate. Grabbed my parts carb and found a 140 main, and a 37.5 pilot. ALso found an adjustable Needle (6 position) I pulled plug and looked at it just to see what it indicated...it indicated LEAN!! pretty white actually. thats not cool. SO...anyone got suggestions on what to do here? its all stock as far as i can tell. has the single hole in air box top, factory exhaust. I was only curious. i hate to start monkeying with it, cuz it runs great, but hey...i dont wanna burn the top off it either! Ughh..one of those sick feelings in my stomach now! Looks like ill have to get ahold of Mr Bender for a Carb kit too! haha.
Lean popping on decel COULD simply be that your exhaust is too open or has a leak somewhere. My DR does it when the spark arrestor is out but not when it is in. I know what the issue is in the case of mine - I need to go up one size on the pilot jet. Yours may well be the same. Try a 40.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #15919
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Unless the fuel level is so high that it's draining into the overflow tube, or so low that it's below the jets, there is really no reason to adjust the level.
In most cases, an incorrect float height adjustment alone is not sufficient to cause overflowing.
Quote:
As long as it's in that (large) range, the jets and float needle will accept the exact same amount of fuel.
Float height doesn't really make much difference on most slide carbs I've seen. This is not the case with CV carbs, where there are instances when if the float height is incorrect, the carbuertion will never be able to be gotten right. I routinely use float height as a tuning tool, typically when low rpm fueling across all openings is too rich and a smaller needle jet/emulsion tube or jet needle with a larger base diameter is not available.
Quote:
In other words, it will be very obvious when the fuel level needs an adjustment.
If you've got a steady state dyno with at least the ability to read CO%, then that's correct.
Quote:
And if the tab doesn't look clearly tampered with, you probably have another issue like the floats containing debris, the small spring in the float needle is stuck, etc.
If the carb is overflowing, it in my experience has only to do with a damaged float needle, damaged needle seat o-ring, damaged float pivot, dirty float seat, fuel having leaked inside the floats, etc., but never with adjustment.
Quote:
In my experience, I've found that usually the fuel level being off won't cause anything but drastic issues.
I thought you were asserting that it won't cause any drastic issues.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #15920
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 440
Redoing the fork seals on my '95se and the old dust covers are metal topped. Most if the aftermarket ones are all rubber. advantages to the OEM metal ones? BTW I saw a dirt DR350 at Ricks Rondevous this.week and tried to swap my SE for it... He wouldnt listen to my ramblings.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #15921
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
I'm saying that the changes made within that range have never been worth the trouble of messing with it. It usually makes no difference so it is simply a step that I now skip. Not to mention that I have never once found the fuel level to be the cause of an issue.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #15922
Rich667
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
what carb is it, the pumper or the cv?
Rich667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #15923
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich667 View Post
what carb is it, the pumper or the cv?
CV...oops shoulda posted that eh? my bad

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #15924
daverbmxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
What is a good mid range chain and sprocket set? I think I want to gear my '91 at 14/43 for driving around this God forsaken flat land in North Dakota. Will probably get a 12 tooth for the front to swap in for weekend off road trips and what not.

I know that DID is a good brand for chain.. unsure what other brands are good. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.. ideally under $120 for both sprockets and chain. If someone could link me to a good kit or components that would be great.

Is the 14/43 going to possibly be too highly geared for ATV trails?
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #15925
Schneiderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I was trying to remove the case saver bolts in order to re-install the front sprocket guard that the PO had removed, but included with the bike when I bought it. The lower case saver bolt snapped... Upper one did not give me any problem.

Is there anything important I need to know about that lower bolt before I take an ez-out to it?
Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #15926
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverbmxer View Post
Is the 14/43 going to possibly be too highly geared for ATV trails?
That all depends on the ATV trail. I've seen some that are quite easy. Others extremely steep and nasty.

On my 1993 model, I can get away with 15/41 for pavement and fairly mild dirt hills. I'll drop a tooth or two on the counter sprocket for the more gnarly stuff.

I've had really good luck with the inexpensive Primary Drive brand of chain and sprocket that Rocky Mountain ATV sells. Here are some links to consider:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/.../957/-/-/1263/

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/.../957/-/-/1385/

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...958/-/-/35559/

Don't forget a spare one of these:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...958/-/-/35566/

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #15927
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
I was trying to remove the case saver bolts in order to re-install the front sprocket guard that the PO had removed, but included with the bike when I bought it. The lower case saver bolt snapped... Upper one did not give me any problem.

Is there anything important I need to know about that lower bolt before I take an ez-out to it?
No, although - personally - I would never, ever use an easy out. Instead, I would weld a nut onto it and remove it that way. In my experience, an easy out is a good way to make a bad situation much worse. YMMV.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #15928
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
I agree with Greg. That bolt is a 6mm. If you break off a small easy out in there, your screwed. If there's not enough left to weld on a nut, try drilling it out. Be very carefull to get the hole in the center. Lay it on it's side and go slow. If you have a reverse twist drill bit, sometimes the bit will unscrew it as you drill. Use progressively larger bits untill you get very close to the alloy, then try a 6x1 mm tap. Sometimes the little bit that's left will come out. Be careful, easy outs and taps are brittle. Big trouble if it breaks off. If all else fails, you can get it tig welded, and redrill and tap.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #15929
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
Did not have very much luck getting the spare bike running this weekend.
About two months ago I got the bike started by rolling it down the street and popping the clutch. Start after the engine turned over only once. Got it home and was able to kick start it. Great, went and parked it.
Friend was over this weekend so we tried to get the bike rideable. New cables, fixed flat tires, grips, fixed the kick stand rub, levers, buttoned down the seat and gas tank, speedo cable, decomp lever and cable, checked the valve clearance (lose so I am getting full compression). Try to start it but it would not. Took about half a mile of bump starting it before it would go. Towing behind my truck up the hills so that I could bump it going down. Ran horribly when it did. Would buck so hard in the begining it would almost throw me off. Would run better with the choke on. However the chcok would not stay in place. All stock airbox and jeting for a 250 (as far as I could tell). It really pissed me off. We never did get a motorcycle ride in together.
Now I am scratching my head wondering now what.
I still can't figure out how to top out the kick starter to get a full stroke out of each kick.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #15930
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 387
For Airvent...and the rest of you....couple of shots from a recent trip to Deals Gap & surrounding areas. Killboy shot later...

Stock SE suspension....check

Top of the Cherohala Skyway