Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #18811
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
You're posting on the ADV Rider forum brother, being able to change a tire on the trail with trail tools is a required skill for adventure riding.

With you on that one. Can change tires on both rims in under 30mins on a good day.

On a bad day, well I leave it for the next good day
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #18812
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,366
My 2000 S plastics need a bit of a refresh. Any idea how well Plastidip would hold up on dirt ? (not woods or single track riding)

I could go the new plastic route, which I want to, but thinking plastidip could work out well.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #18813
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy dr View Post
Anyone running a 38 rear sprocket? I have a short 150/60/17 rear tire on my SM setup on my 400E. I am running 15/44 and I can't go 70mph to keep up with traffic unless I'm pinned.

Thanks
yup
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #18814
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 566
My New DRZ400

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd post up some pics of my new DR-Z 400E. When I got it the other day it had 760KM on it. I just did the first oil change today. I was so eager to get back out for a ride after doing the oil change that I forgot to put the force bash plate on before taking these pics.

I'm going to put a after market muffler on it and have decided on the a Yoshi RS-3, that will come a few weeks from now.

Any how, here's the pics

Old 05-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #18815
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,318
Nice tank bag Mark, and the safari 17ltr's are perfect for the DRZ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasca View Post
Hi Guys

Just thought I'd post up some pics of my new DR-Z 400E. When I got it the other day it had 760KM on it. I just did the first oil change today. I was so eager to get back out for a ride after doing the oil change that I forgot to put the force bash plate on before taking these pics.

I'm going to put a after market muffler on it and have decided on the a Yoshi RS-3, that will come a few weeks from now.

Any how, here's the pics

Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #18816
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
Nice tank bag Mark, and the safari 17ltr's are perfect for the DRZ's
Credit to you BygDaddee, the tank bag works a treat and fits in well, thanks for the hand-me-down
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #18817
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 412
I am changing front and rear wheel bearing. Any idea what to get if I want upgraded bearings? Or just to stay OEM bearings? Any advise or links will be appreciated!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #18818
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasExp View Post
I am changing front and rear wheel bearing. Any idea what to get if I want upgraded bearings? Or just to stay OEM bearings? Any advise or links will be appreciated!!!
I order from vxb bearings in Cali. You can get 3 full set for around $30. When you get then just repack them.

Most times a spec bearing is just that a specification. You can go spend $10 a bearing and they come out of the same bin as the 5 for $10.

Vxb is easy to order online from ship fast and have good bearings. Every set on the DRZ has outlived OEM
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #18819
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 845
chain issue advice needed

I just replaced the chain on my DRZ 400 tonight. I bought this bike in December and have ridden it next to none. Chain was rigid and bad. Bought a new one from an inmate here. It seems like it does not want to roll off the sprocket teeth easily. Like the teeth are too long. That makes no sense I know. The old one said
TYC 520H
the new one is a D I D 520 VT2. I haven't had a bike with a chain drive in ages. Do I need to replace the sprocket too? I really need some help form you drz chain maintenance pros. Please. Thanks in advance. The sprocket is in very good shape I think.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #18820
DRZ RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
You should always replace the chain and sprockets as a set. A worn sprocket will wear out a new chain.
DRZ RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #18821
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasExp View Post
This article may be of help: Choosing wheel bearings for adventure bikes
Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #18822
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Bearings

Interesting read ADVGD.

With my bearings: swingarm & shock linkage = OEM, for everything else I just knock the bearings out and take them to my local industrial bearing supplier & ask for replacements.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #18823
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Welcome to the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ RIDER View Post
You should always replace the chain and sprockets as a set. A worn sprocket will wear out a new chain.
I noticed that's your first post.... Welcome.

What part of the world are you located in?

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #18824
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
This article may be of help: Choosing wheel bearings for adventure bikes
That's a nice advertisement. While partially true not completely. Paying 5-10 times the price does not ensure quality. Bearings are rated for speed and load. Spend lots and install the wrong rating they will crap out quickly regardless of who made them.

Bearings require proper service. Adding good waterproof grease does wonders. It also helps to get sealed bearings. The thrust bearing in a DRZ rear hub isn't. It may be one side at most.

Most bearing houses carry good bearings. Your market will not tolerate failures. In some areas the local northern tool or farm supply shop has what you need for a fraction of the OEM.

The bearings I've got form vxb were Russian. Not say any given order is. If the order comes from Kowloon worry. Don't let $ alone scare you.

OEM bearings can also be a funny size. Suzi likes 13mm. Standard are 12 mm. The only difference? Suzuki is the only one who'll sell you a 13.

Finally given the average life expectancy of DS tires you should be checking them every tire change. If they are not perfect change them. That's a no brainer when you have 2 more sets in the toolbox.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #18825
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 845
drz

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyGS View Post
I just replaced the chain on my DRZ 400 tonight. I bought this bike in December and have ridden it next to none. Chain was rigid and bad. Bought a new one from an inmate here. It seems like it does not want to roll off the sprocket teeth easily. Like the teeth are too long. That makes no sense I know. The old one said
TYC 520H
the new one is a D I D 520 VT2. I haven't had a bike with a chain drive in ages. Do I need to replace the sprocket too? I really need some help form you drz chain maintenance pros. Please. Thanks in advance. The sprocket is in very good shape I think.

Never mind, took mine off, they are shot. I can see it now. ordered new. As you were!

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote