Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #166
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
Skitch - thanks for the info. Now I have to figure out how much weight I can bring. I think it's 1/4 my normal HHG total, which would be about 4,000 pounds, so 500 pounds worth of motorcycle isn't bad at all.
I went on a one year remote, and I think I was allowed 10% of the JFTR allowance. I was under with no problem.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #167
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Another quick question for military and/or anyone who might know: Will I register the bike in Korea, or keep the Florida registration? Thanks!
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #168
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Another quick question for military and/or anyone who might know: Will I register the bike in Korea, or keep the Florida registration? Thanks!
You will register it with the Provost Marshal. They will provide new plates and registration. Keep you current title, but your Florida registration is no good here.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #169
Squelch
Everyday People

Ok, good to know. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #170
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
You will register it with the Provost Marshal.

They will provide new plates and registration. Keep you current title, but your Florida registration is no good here. Not sure what documentation they will need when you register for the first time on-post. You will definitely need insurance though. Also a vehicle safety inspection (which can be done by AAFES car care center or the MWR Auto crafts shop).
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #171
Squelch
Everyday People

Well I'm picking up a new F800GS on Saturday, so it should pass inspection no problem! I'm half tempted to throw the plates from one of my old bikes on there for the month or so I have it here before it gets shipped just so I don't have to register it for that month. But I wouldn't do that...
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #172
Squelch
Everyday People

The transpo office here is telling me I can't ship the motorcycle, because my orders specifically say it's an unaccompanied tour, and that I am not authorized to ship a POV. So now I've got to figure out WTF to do - I was supposed to pick the bike up tomorrow, but not if I can't bring it.

So...who has shipped a bike by themselves? How much did it cost? Would it be better to wait and see about buying one over there? F**k, this really throws a monkey wrench into my plans.

Ok, I've called a few places - looks like it'd be about $3000 to ship the bike from Kansas City. But then I've gotten a few places quote me $900 from LA to Pyong Taek. I could ride the bike to LA (1600 miles) and then fly home...

Squelch screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 01:54 PM
Old 05-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #173
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
The transpo office here is telling me I can't ship the motorcycle, because my orders specifically say it's an unaccompanied tour, and that I am not authorized to ship a POV. ...
Are you authorized Household Goods? If you are you should be able to ship it in HHG. It does not ship as a POV.

What is your rank? If you are on an unaccompanined tour and are not E-7 or above you may not be authorized a POV in country, and they wouldn't let you register a vehicle anyway.

If you are only here for one year may be best to just forget about it. Do you plan to stay more than one year?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #174
Squelch
Everyday People

I'm an O4, so that's not an issue. I plan on staying a couple of years, maybe longer depending on what jobs I can get while I'm there.

I am authorized to ship HHG, but I'm on an unaccompanied tour, and it says specifically "The shipment of a POV is linked to the movement of dependents." The guy at transpo explained to me that since I am going unaccompanied, I am not authorized a POV. He quoted PPCIG country instructions for Korea. Maybe it's changed since you all got over there?

I think the main point of it is in this document:

Quote:
7. For shipment authorizations by Branch of Service and restrictions, see the applicable paragraphs below.

a. Army Active Duty Members:

(1) Unaccompanied Tour. Shipment of a POV is not authorized.
Apparently even though I'm Priority One, because I'm unaccompanied, the Army expects me to use mass transit and government vehicles when I need to go anywhere in Korea. Thanks, Army.

Squelch screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 08:01 PM
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #175
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
The guy at transpo explained to me that since I am going unaccompanied, I am not authorized a POV.

I think you got the wrong guy at transportation. Maybe you could elevate this issue? Motorcycles are not shipped as POVs, they are shipped as household goods.

Maybe you could try this angle... don't ship it as a motorcycle, ship it as "motorcycle parts". Might require partial disassembly to convice them though.

I have two friends that PCS'd here in the past 6 months (one from Fort Hood and one from Wisconsin), unaccompanied, and it was no problem to ship thier bikes in HHG (one guy is a E8 with a Harley bagger, the other an 0-4 with a Harley Softail). If you need some details we can go to PM and I can tell you where you can get information from them directly.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #176
Squelch
Everyday People

HotStuff, I just sent a PM, thanks.

I still think it's a lost cause because the SDDC documents say that, 1. a motorcycle is a POV, and 2. a POV is not authorized for an unaccompanied tour.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #177
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
Finding a bike in Korea

If you can't ship a bike, there are options.
There are used SOFA registered bikes that come up for sale. Mostly Harleys but sometimes other stuff.
On the Korean economy you can find just about anything. Very good deals on older Honda Transalp bikes, Honda standards 400cc and 600cc. those can be had for $2000 to $4000 www.passo.co.kr

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #178
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,273
One p Robles you're having is there is little commonality between provost or one stop shops in different parts of korea. If you can determine wheter yiu can use camp Humphreys, ill ask for you when i get back (soon).

Even though they all follow usfk regs, they don't...
SR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #179
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
HotStuff, I just sent a PM, thanks.

I still think it's a lost cause because the SDDC documents say that, 1. a motorcycle is a POV, and 2. a POV is not authorized for an unaccompanied tour.
I went over on a one year unaccompanied as an O4 and I was able to ship my bike as part of my HHGs. I'm AF and got assigned to Osan AB, so not sure if that changes anything, but it should not, as the regs are joint regs. I'd fight this and get into the JFTR yourself, as i think your TMO is incorrect (would not be the first time).
To be honest, once you are assigned a shipper, coordinate with them what you will be bringing, and let the know a motorcycle will be in the shipment. I can't see how TMO would care or know as long as you stay within your authorized weight limit.
Good luck!
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #180
Infidel
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,077
Mid July

I'm on deck for a 90 day rotation. I'll be there the week after Laguna Seca. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to bring the bike, but I don't think it'll be worth it for 90 days.

Even though I'm TDY- I'm still subject to furlough... so I'll get three day weekends while I'm there

I am SO looking forward to this!

Oh, and- No matter how good life is, It never ends well.
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote