Originally Posted by calus View Post
looks great. low budget fun!
Thanks Cal
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Fear not the naysayers as you tread uncharted ground. Find what works for you and head down that path. your build is more akin to what you would have done back in the 70's before everyone got blinders on.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
brian72 OP
A Loner. A Rebel.

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
Fear not the naysayers as you tread uncharted ground. Find what works for you and head down that path. your build is more akin to what you would have done back in the 70's before everyone got blinders on.

Good luck and have fun with it!

You know?
I really appreciate the kind words. I can't take credit for blazing new roads, as everything has almost been done before, I do try though.
Respects.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
brian72 OP
A Loner. A Rebel.

A ride on Sunday with the new tank paint and riders/bars
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
What that bike needs is some clip on bars. That would get you the look you are hunting for.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
brian72 OP
A Loner. A Rebel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
What that bike needs is some clip on bars. That would get you the look you are hunting for.
I do like clip-ons. Only the pegs are factory semi forward. That would be an awkward position. Without modification to the shifter and rear brake and peg position I can't find a more comfortable position for the bars than where they are.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I don't know if clip-ons would be the way to go, but I think it might be beter with lower risers, or with just MX bars.

A set of longer rear shocks would be a big help for sure, and I think I'd trim the front fender a little.

It looks great though, I really like the new seat you put on it. Is that something you custom made?

You've got a nice project on the go, and I'm with you, I'm surprised more people aren't doing stuff like that.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #23
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,840
That riser setup looks iffy for any off road use. I understand you need to compensate for the forward pegs but it's (risers) got to be rock solid when you hit a washout or obsticle on a dirt road. With the minimal travel that bike has, control will be critical first time you bottom it out and it will happen if you ride it off the pavement with any frequency.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #24
brian72 OP
A Loner. A Rebel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
That riser setup looks iffy for any off road use. I understand you need to compensate for the forward pegs but it's (risers) got to be rock solid when you hit a washout or obsticle on a dirt road. With the minimal travel that bike has, control will be critical first time you bottom it out and it will happen if you ride it off the pavement with any frequency.

SO far so good with the risers. I have them mounted pretty solid and they are in a rubber mounting so they flex just enough, but don't move beyond that. Really though it's just wide dirt paths for this bike nothing serious. Also just added a front plate.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
brian72 OP
A Loner. A Rebel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
I don't know if clip-ons would be the way to go, but I think it might be beter with lower risers, or with just MX bars.

A set of longer rear shocks would be a big help for sure, and I think I'd trim the front fender a little.

It looks great though, I really like the new seat you put on it. Is that something you custom made?

You've got a nice project on the go, and I'm with you, I'm surprised more people aren't doing stuff like that.
The seat is an eBay purchase 1971 cb350. I considered new shocks, but haven't been bottoming out with the stock pair yet so haven't needed to upgrade.

I hear you about the front fender. I have three sizes and prefered the one that is on it (to each his own).

Thanks for the kind words though.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #26
Dirtsampler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Very interesting project. Please keep the updates coming.

Steve
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #27
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
If you can handle the riding position, I would definitely go with low bars, I mean really low, like several inches lower, about even with the top of the headlight. The high bars on risers still give it a cruiser look.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #28
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtsampler View Post
Very interesting project. Please keep the updates coming.

Steve
Ditto.

It's very cool. I liked the low risers and straight bar idea, but I have long arms.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
brian72 OP
A Loner. A Rebel.

I have since parted with this bike, like so many before it.

The risers did not fail me on the trail though I do agree that if ridden agressive the bars mounted lower would be better. I really like higher bars so I'm sure that's why I was willing to sacrafice some asthetics for comfort.

Here is a video walk around, with work done in the description, that should show every angle of homemade mods.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #30
mpescatori
n00b

Oddometer: 4
You need mid-rear sets

Hello Brian, this is mpescatori from the SuzukiSavage Forum, I don't know if you've ever visited but we have TONS of useful (and vital!) information dedicated to the Suzuki Savage.

http://www.suzukisavage.com

I personally have a 1988 4-speed which, among things, I have converted to chain drive.
Belt drive is nice and quiet for city riding but if you pick up a pebble on a dirt road the least that can happen is a hole punched right through the belt, or else... the belt may snap in the middle of nowhere...

Also, with chain drive you can easly fiddle with your final drive ratios, i.e. a 17 tooth front sprocket for road and a 15 tooth for dirt roads.
I used to do that with my dirt bikes when I was a teenager (I'm 53 now) OEM #14 replaced with #15 for the road and #13 for dirt.
I even experimented with #12 but #12 4th gear was no better than #15 3rd gear, so riding on the open road was limited to the minimum.

May I suggest you consider fitting mid-controls in order to have your ankles more or less under your hipjoints when riding seated: this allows for much improved control and maneuverability of the bike on dirt/gravel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If you can handle the riding position, I would definitely go with low bars, I mean really low, like several inches lower, about even with the top of the headlight. The high bars on risers still give it a cruiser look.
I sincerely disagree. If you are to do any dirt riding, you will want your handlebars to give you full control of the bike even when standing on the footpegs (which you won't be able to do unless you fit mid- controls).
Lowering the handlebars with shorter risers will cause you to bend forward, with more and more load on shoulders and wrists rather than hips and feet.
Less control of the bike.

I love your tool box - actually looks like an old ammo box, right ?

Your exhaust ... you can leave it as is unless you plan to/need to ford creeks - only you know that.
Eventually, a short length of pipe bent 30 or 45 will allow for the "raised exhaust" you need, in 1960's scrambler style.

Keep us posted !
mpescatori is offline   Reply With Quote