http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #2477
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
One of Ezpeleta's goals with discouraging leased bikes is ending the trend of riders doing it for no salary.

I sometimes wonder what it is about Dorna/Ezpeleta that brings out the "theories" -- is it because his name doesn't sound murrican?
Maybe its because of the crazy ideas Ezpeleta spouts off?

Quote:
And it would be good for MotoGP to have a race winner who isn't Spanish. So far, all nine races - three each in the three Grand Prix classes - have been won by Spaniards, and there are fast and talented Spanish riders in every class. This is a cause for concern to Dorna, who need a broad range of nationalities to be able to sell TV rights around the globe. In an interview to be broadcast on Italian radio, Ezpeleta has raised the idea of imposing a quota, restricting the number of riders from each country in the premier class. He is also rumored to be putting pressure on Yamaha not to sign Pol Espargaro, to prevent the threat of the factory Honda and Yamaha seats being taken by four Spaniards once Valentino Rossi retires.
http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/...d_up_of_f.html

I don't know if Ezpeleta was serious but stuff like this is what makes me question some of his decisions...and his sanity.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #2478
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Maybe its because of the crazy ideas Ezpeleta spouts off?

http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/...d_up_of_f.html

I don't know if Ezpeleta was serious but stuff like this is what makes me question some of his decisions...and his sanity.
That's what you'll get with a DICKtator, right?
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #2479
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Any day now Dorna and Ezpeleta will destroy MotoGP as we know it. It's been about 7,300 days Dorna has controlled MotoGP, but you can see the cracks forming.

That Ezpeleta doesn't know what he's doing.

Kidding aside, he can't win for losing. People complain there are too many Spaniards in MotoGP; people complain about small grids and lack of sponsors; Ezpeleta comes up with a possible solution to the problem.

Bottom line: people complain.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #2480
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Any day now Dorna and Ezpeleta will destroy MotoGP as we know it. It's been about 7,300 days Dorna has controlled MotoGP, but you can see the cracks forming.

That Ezpeleta doesn't know what he's doing.

Kidding aside, he can't win for losing. People complain there are too many Spaniards in MotoGP; people complain about small grids and lack of sponsors; Ezpeleta comes up with a possible solution to the problem.

Bottom line: people complain.
No doubt. I always thought the CRT rule was a good idea and has worked better than any "experts" thought it would with none of the chicken little prophecies coming true. Ezpeleta has guided MotoGP through a very rough time the last few years and he should be applauded for his efforts. On the other hand, he should never be above criticism and a quota on riders by nationality is silly and would never work.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #2481
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,680
Yeeeesss. But talk of 'quotas' and such does nothing for, shall we call it, natural selection? It's a control freak situation. There was a time of English domination, Italian, American, Australian,...let it roll! Every decision seems to be a knee jerk reaction to the normal evolutionary progression of any sport. You have good times, you have not so good times. I say leave the SPORT alone, and put your energies into trying to deal with the outside influences. The sport is SUPERB, maybe the marketing isn't ?

Dunno. But it frustrates me when I see ONE individual in charge of not just MOTOGP, but in the end, a lot of domestic serie/riders around the planet.

Sorry, I'll go to sleep now.........
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #2482
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
On the other hand, he should never be above criticism and a quota on riders by nationality is silly and would never work.
I agree; I just don't agree with the opinion that Ezpeleta is out his depth.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #2483
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I agree; I just don't agree with the opinion that Ezpeleta is out his depth.
Criticism that one is out of one's depth comes with any job as the head, or even figure head, of a large complex organizations. There is no textbook for running a motorsports world championship. Its a thankless job. Much like to trying to be the voice of reason on the internet.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #2484
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Is anyone following the practice sessions on le mans? Hayden up there with crutchlow in fp3!?
The BBC guys were on about a new bike for ducati at Le Mans, let's hope it's for real this time.

Four wheels good, two wheels better
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #2485
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunewar View Post
Is anyone following the practice sessions on le mans? Hayden up there with crutchlow in fp3!?
The BBC guys were on about a new bike for ducati at Le Mans, let's hope it's for real this time.

Four wheels good, two wheels better
Nope, more like CC is having problems: brakes overheating and tire chatter.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #2486
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 367
I still don't get the "limited starting grid" rule...
Why if Suzuki would like to get back in MotoGP they have to push out some other team so the number of bikes on the grid will remain the same? Why not let it grow?
Logistics? Don't think so...
Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #2487
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
I still don't get the "limited starting grid" rule...
Why if Suzuki would like to get back in MotoGP they have to push out some other team so the number of bikes on the grid will remain the same? Why not let it grow?
Logistics? Don't think so...
Money and quality. Dorna subsidizes all of the teams, so there's only so many they can support. And there's only so many good teams capable of being competitive in MotoGP. Look at Moto2, where there's a few good teams and a whole bunch of much less proficient teams.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #2488
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 367
Now it makes sense. Thanks Kropotkin.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #2489
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Now it makes sense. Thanks Kropotkin.
If you go back and look at the results (all on the MotoGP.com website) from the late 70s and early 80s, when grids were full, you see only a few riders finishing on the same lap, and several being lapped multiple times. There are only so many riders/teams/mechanics talented enough to work at the very pinnacle.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #2490
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,258
So what the hell happens if Nakagami wins the moto2 championship this year? He has shown good pace pretty consistently this year. The japanese have never been shy (rightly so) about trying to put a Japanese rider on a somewhat competitive MotoGP bike. Seems like no bikes are available next year but one would think Honda or Yamaha would have ants in their pants to put Nakagami on a bike should we win the championship.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote