Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #6691
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
This is my 2008 DR200SE that I modded up a little bit.

The old duck-bill fender and square 1980's headlight surround wasn't doing it for me. So I put the surround from a DR400SM on it, and an Acerbis SuperMoto fender. I also put on black side panels instead of the white and remove the decals.

I put a ThumperTalk skid plate on it as well.

I also put an FMF Q4 exhaust on. Made it feel a little bit more peppy, and a whole lot louder. Going to do the Keintech intake and carb stuff to it at some point. For now I'm looking a putting on the Baja Designs tail light assembly on it.

very nice!!

does that bolt up without any modification?

I went riding the other day with a DRZ400sm owner, and we were trying to figure out if that headlight fit

northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #6692
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Handlebars

I'm planning on replacing the stock handlebar with one that is less swept back (and maybe a bit higher). If you've changed your handlebar:

1) What type of riding do you do (e.g., mostly on-road, mostly-off, etc., etc.)
2) What make and style of bar did you get?
3) Are you happy with the new bar?

If you can post a photo of the bar on your DR that you be really helpful.

JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #6693
MountainMike
n00b

Oddometer: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
very nice!!

does that bolt up without any modification?

I went riding the other day with a DRZ400sm owner, and we were trying to figure out if that headlight fit
The SM surround required quite a bit of trimming to fit. I had to trim out the bottom 2 corners a bit, and cut the guard that goes around the gauges. I used the SM's bottom mount bolt and had to make some small brackets to move the top two bolt holes. It really took an afternoon to fit. The fender came with a little template. Turns out I stink at measuring anyways so it required some "tweaking" to fit.

The exhaust did obviously

Here's my build thread over on TRS: http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=102122
MountainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #6694
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
I've had great experiences with the Pro Taper Evo2 line. They survive some HARD crashes (haven't bent one yet on 3 bikes). I build my bikes for offroad use, but they end up seeing far too much pavement. Great bar, I went with the CR High bend which is the 2nd tallest in the lineup. Vibration decreased from stock and I shaved off 3/4 of a pound in weight.

Weight comparison: http://2wheelsplz.blogspot.com/2012/06/dr-diet.html

12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #6695
AleXtz
Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer: 70
i had the oem petcock installed but it continues to "transpire" gasoline out... i donno but this dr200 has been problem after problem. The oil leaking got worst also, low mpg, shakes a lot, rear shock noise, weak handlebar that bents easily

wont recommend this bike to a friend, ever (unless taken out from dealer store)

sadly, Alex

2+1 months living in Oaxaca's sierras and beaches:
http://motoviajero.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2695
AleXtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #6696
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleXtz View Post
i had the oem petcock installed but it continues to "transpire" gasoline out... i donno but this dr200 has been problem after problem. The oil leaking got worst also, low mpg, shakes a lot, rear shock noise, weak handlebar that bents easily

wont recommend this bike to a friend, ever (unless taken out from dealer store)

sadly, Alex

The OEM petcock is junk which is why this forum's recommendation is to replace it with a petcock from a Yamaha Raptor.

Oil leaks don't get better unless you fix the problem, and yeah, the leak usually gets worse. Any engine can leak oil. Some, like an old 1600 VW, will always leak. You likely have a bad o-ring or gasket somewhere (didn't search back through your posts to find out where the leak is). Fix what's wrong and you won't have a leak anymore.

Low mpg? Can't say as I've ever heard anyone say this bike has that issue. If you're constantly lugging it a gear too high, or maybe have jetting that's pretty off then that may cause that issue. Most have the opposite problem of trying to use a full tank of gas before it goes bad.

Shaking. You're looking at 3 possible issues here. If its engine vibration then yeah, the DR is pretty buzzy but not worse than many other single cylinders. If its shaking at speed, change the front fender and balance your tires. If its road vibration, run a different tire.

A squeeky rear shock is common. Annoying, but one of the flaws of this bike.

Handlebar that bends easily? I have yet to see an OEM bar that didn't. My post above on the pro taper EVO2 is an excellent replacement, and I've put some serious R&D in trying to bend it without success.

I'm the 1st to admit these bikes have some significant flaws. But IMO the complaints you've listed for the most part just aren't on that list.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #6697
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
A little squirt of silicone spray on the suspension bushings does wonders for the squeaking.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #6698
cidd
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
You know guys Iv never had a 4 stroke always been riding 2 stroke dirt bikes so when I got this dr I was very disappointed it was slow as a slug and just didnt have the get up and Rip I was use to. I just couldn't believe that it would go thru the gears so fast and barley hit 50mph . I just put it off to the fact that it was a 4 stroke almost sold it !! Then I decided I would try a couple of small upgrades first and if that didnt do it then it was gone !! Well I'm glad I tried Just got done putting a Dg O series exhaust on and WOW did this thing WAKE UP its a totally new bike it'll hit 50 easy and the gears dont wind up as fast this little upgrade is what the bike needed I have the carb kit for it but I'm going to run it like this for a few miles b4 I think of messing with the carb it just runs to good right now

cidd screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 05:57 PM
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #6699
MountainMike
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I've had great experiences with the Pro Taper Evo2 line. They survive some HARD crashes (haven't bent one yet on 3 bikes). I build my bikes for offroad use, but they end up seeing far too much pavement. Great bar, I went with the CR High bend which is the 2nd tallest in the lineup. Vibration decreased from stock and I shaved off 3/4 of a pound in weight.
What did you do for the mount?
MountainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #6700
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
What did you do for the mount?

A set of these: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...+bar+clamp+kit
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #6701
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
You know guys Iv never had a 4 stroke always been riding 2 stroke dirt bikes so when I got this dr I was very disappointed it was slow as a slug and just didnt have the get up and Rip I was use to. I just couldn't believe that it would go thru the gears so fast and barley hit 50mph . I just put it off to the fact that it was a 4 stroke

The DR is heavy for it's engine size, weighing more than most 450 4 strokes - including the dual sport ones. Plus its an air cooled tractor engine. Basically what I'm saying is its a poor example of what kind of power you can get from a 4 stroke. On the upside however, they last forever and get great gas mileage.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #6702
inuvik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
The DR is heavy for it's engine size, weighing more than most 450 4 strokes - including the dual sport ones. Plus its an air cooled tractor engine. Basically what I'm saying is its a poor example of what kind of power you can get from a 4 stroke. On the upside however, they last forever and get great gas mileage.
The DR200SE is not any heavier than anything else in the same class.
These are all dry weights except for the DR-Z400S:

DR200SE: 249lbs

TW200: 260lbs

XT225: 238lbs

KLR250: 258lbs

WR250X: 280lbs

DR-Z400S: 317lbs (wet)

You are right it is no powerhouse but there are some performance improvements available. I agree that it is extremely reliable and fuel efficient and a lot of fun to ride. I smile everytime I ride!
2005 DR200SE: Ricochet skidplate, Spitfire S-06 Windshield, Suzuki Handguards, Tusk handlebar risers, Cycleracks rear rack, Chase-Harper B-Alaska Bag, DG Performance Exhaust, Tutoro Chain Oiler, Garmin Etrek GPS.
inuvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #6703
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
has anyone gotten any narrow bars?

I used to have narrow ones on older dirtbikes, and prefer them over the wider ones on full size bikes
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #6704
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:

I used to have narrow ones on older dirtbikes, and prefer them over the wider ones on full size bikes
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Ha...r-Measurements
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #6705
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I think most aftermarket bars come with measurement lines to cut the bars several inches narrower. Just need a sawsall or at worst, a hacksaw.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross

Wallrat screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 08:56 PM