Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #1066
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
Rats, I'm at work, and can't see your diagram. Will check when I get home. Good suggestion though, Chris. When I bought the bike, it already had the RS stator and the BD kit installed. Does the BD kit replace the stock harness, or is it still there, but has just been added to? In other words, can I remove the BD kit and end up with the stock harness? Also, I'm assuming then that the stock harness is robust enough to handle the increased wattage of the RS stator?
I've never used the BD harness so I'm not sure if the stock harness is still there. I ran 100W ac through the stock harness with no problems, I could see that the connectors had gotten a little warm (discolored) but no melting, there must have been some resistance (corrosion) at the bullet connectors to cause that. Typically the switches are the most effected by the increased current, I try and use a handlebar switch off a XR650L for the lights, the OE switches handle the extra power much better than most of the aftermarket switches I've seen.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #1067
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
Will the stock harness support running a KTM 990 Adv. head light?
mikejohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #1068
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
Will the stock harness support running a KTM 990 Adv. head light?
I can't see why not unless you're connecting up 200W stator (single output) to it.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #1069
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 399
Hey yall,

Need a little help, I have a BD Dual Sport kit on my XR, has the small battery pack and such. I mainly ride trails so I have ditched the Turn signals, I Order a 8" BD HID light and a 200watt ricky stator. It is the dual 100Watt output. My question is can I run one 100w leg to the BD Kit ( Headlight and Taillight ) and then run the second 100w leg to a 12v charger. I just want to be able to charge my (phone or GPS) Thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #1070
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
just uncovered my bike after 3 months...

I will have to read all this again. I bought a BD new Squadron and Skeen controller. I need to connect them and blinkers, brake light and a 12volt for a phone charger.

P.S. I work at bikebanditdotcom
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #1071
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson757 View Post
Hey yall,

Need a little help, I have a BD Dual Sport kit on my XR, has the small battery pack and such. I mainly ride trails so I have ditched the Turn signals, I Order a 8" BD HID light and a 200watt ricky stator. It is the dual 100Watt output. My question is can I run one 100w leg to the BD Kit ( Headlight and Taillight ) and then run the second 100w leg to a 12v charger. I just want to be able to charge my (phone or GPS) Thanks for the help.
I have a similar system.I ran 100 watts thru a regulator (ac power)to run my 8" race light. I ran the other 100 watts thru a regulator /rectifier (dc power) to run signals, brake light,tail light and charging ports. I operate the hi and lo beam of the head light by way of the BD light switch (dc side) thru a relay. Make sure to float the ground on the ac side.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #1072
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
Make sure to float the ground on the ac side.
You can float ether one.

Henderson, I'd run 100W to the headlight through the AC reg, connect the other 100W to the BD system, tap in to 12V on the BD system and run a USB converter off the 12V. You'll get allot of power for bright headlight 100W and the remaining (100W) will easily power what's left.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #1073
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
I will have to read all this again. I bought a BD new Squadron and Skeen controller. I need to connect them and blinkers, brake light and a 12volt for a phone charger.

P.S. I work at bikebanditdotcom

Good, you will have access to all the parts. And you need to get some swag for your friend at ADVrider.

The only advice can give you is add up your max power requirements and make sure it doesn't exceed the stators output.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #1074
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
Swagologist here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Good, you will have access to all the parts. And you need to get some swag for your friend at ADVrider.

The only advice can give you is add up your max power requirements and make sure it doesn't exceed the stators output.
I have a dual output Ricky Stator stator installed.
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #1075
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 212
It might already have been covered in here, but where exactly are the stock grounding points on the XR650R? A diagram would be nice, if at all possible.
Thanks.
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #1076
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Any grounding point is good as long as it's on the frame itself and has a good connection (bare metal). That's one of the reasons I choose to float the DC, the AC harness and it's grounds gets left intact OE style.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #1077
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Any grounding point is good as long as it's on the frame itself and has a good connection (bare metal). That's one of the reasons I choose to float the DC, the AC harness and it's grounds gets left intact OE style.
Yeah, I like that way better as well. My question though is where is/are the stock grounding point(s)? I believe there is one on the frame backbone near where the coil mounts? This is for the ignition circuit, right?
Then what about the other two AC legs coming off the stator (I have BD 125W x2 stator)? I assume they are ungrounded until I find one for them? If so, and I ground one (keeping it AC for the lights) to same frame, will it interfere in any way with the ignition ciruit? Sure don't seem like our puny frames are enough metal to ground that much wattage.
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom

Rydah screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 06:50 AM
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #1078
Ruprect
Got me a Big Red Pig

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
After doing a couple different bikes, I've found the simplest way is to add a DC harness, leaving the OE harness untouched. I've done both and the seperate harness was by far the easiest and most reliable. You'll only add the wires that you need to run the items you've chosen to include and depending on where you decide to locate the reg/rect the under seat area can be left uncrowded. Troubleshooting the ignition remains the same as stock and you're not at the mercy of your wiring job when it quits in the middle of nowhere. I prefer to gnd the AC as it's already grounded and the dc items always come with a (+) and (-) which makes it easy to run them back to the battery. Just a personal preference though.
I really like this idea and have (2) quick questions if you don't mind. Here is the breakdown: I'm planning to run a standard 55/60 headlight and a small incandescent taillight on the stock AC wiring, and the LED turns, brake light, horn and trailtech computer and maybe a GPS on DC. I have an old DS kit that will allow me to mount a small lead-acid battery, reg/rec, etc behind the headlight. I don't really have any plans to add any more power hungry accessories.
Question #1 - I have 18ga wire to rewind my stator with, how would you recommend dividing the AC vs DC sides re: # of poles each & turns to get enough AC to run ignition, headlight and tail & leave the rest for DC ?
Question #2 - I have the reg/rec from the old DS kit as well that has (2) red wires, (2) yellow, (1) blue and (1) black coming out of it. One of the reds has ben trimmed off flush. How would you recommend I wire this up to the DC side of the stator ?
Question #3 (I lied) - any advice on separating the AC hi/lo headlight circuit from the rest of the DC stuff in the handlebar switch. I bought a BD replacement switch with Hi/Lo, Turns and horn. Could I run dc from hi/lo to a relay with the AC thru it, and if so would I need (2) relays to enable lo and hi settings ?

THX a ton for any advice !!

Ruprect

We're gonna need a bigger boat . . . . . . .
Ruprect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #1079
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
BD Kit Issues

Great thread, thanks to the OP for getting it started. I bought a 03 BRP with a BD kit already installed and it is turning out to be a headache. When I use the right turn signal, everything is normal. But when I try the left switch, the head light blinks. I have traced the wires and everything seems to be in order. BD says I probably have a worn out handlebar switch and I need to replace what I have. Funny thing is, I started to work on it this morning and what do you know, the left blinker starts working. Problem solved, right? I take out the small ni-cad battery to put a trickle charge on it, put it back in and test again....and its back to the blinking head light. And now my rear running and brake light are out.
Has any one come across something like this before? I'm almost ready to tear the system out and start over again, as there is no telling what the original owner did.
The bike has the stock stator (as far as I can tell).
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #1080
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
+1 on starting over. Then you will know your system front to back. Ridefreak has posted some excellent wiring diagrams on this thread. I kind of remember reading about guys having similar issues due to bad batteries or reg/rect.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
LVCJT is online now   Reply With Quote