Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #2731
dirtykdx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Spark arrestors in state parks around here is easy, if there is a stamp "USFS APPROVED SPARK ARRESTOR" it's legal. If not, well you have to rely on the ranger not being a moron. Example, the WR300 stock spark arrestor, does not have the stamp. Instead has Krizzman (or however it's spelled) and is dead obvious with the rivet locations and with the nail test. Stick a 12 nail in the exhaust hole, if it hits something, it's good to go.
dirtykdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #2732
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Rain...slab...speed..TR

Left this morning in the rain for a ride through the gorge from Knoxville to Asheville...all slab on the TR..(road over to Eurosport Asheville) brother n law bought new 90th edition BMW r1200R..he was on a '12 multistrada ..over and back...rain slacked off on return...Husky runs better the harder you run it...whole way back ....indicated 80 to 100 mph...pretty solid....great mileage. I'll be keeping the Strada for awhile.

The multistrada was traded in on the R1200R...of course he didn't want to ride a brand new bike back through the gorge in the rain...so next weekend will be another trip...I hope next time it's not pouring rain. Still fun!
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #2733
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Which One?

Okay, Im ready to shoot!

What one should I get?

Stada Out the door $6500
Terra Out the door $6700

I'm torn........because I will probably do mostly Street riding but want to be able to go off the road without problems.....
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #2734
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,849
Get the Strada. Enjoy the ABS on the street. Throw on some more aggressive tires for offroad. The cast wheels will hold up fine for 90% of what most people do off road.

If you decide you want to get more aggressive, order some spoke wheels aftermarket.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #2735
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

and the tire size matches my explorer on the Strada

More opinions????

I think I've come full circle. Didnt seem to remember using the ABS much on this bike. I also couldnt take it off road. Same engine but with 20% less power. The wheels were 17 /17 vs. the Starta 17 / 19. It may be pretty much the same freaking thing. Dammm! Maybe I should by the Terra.....I dont know...

Rayzor61 screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 02:08 PM
Old 05-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #2736
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Rayzor61,

I agree, go for the Strada. Think about the amount of time you'll be riding on the street --- with tubeless tires, you can plug a flat, re-inflate and be back on the road in short order. Also, the tubeless tires will give plenty of warning when they're gradually losing air rather than the very sudden deflation of a tube. On the street, there's no comparison + ABS.

With the 19" front and 17" rear, you can tackle almost any terrain with a bit more aggressive tire -- like the Heidenau K60's.

My opinion only, based upon my current list of singles: KLR650, DR650, DRZ400S, XR250R, WR250R and the Strada.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #2737
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Anybody ride both bike back to back? What would they do? I have an Explorer 1200 Tiger to handle the long runs. It even goes well over boulders at 1 mph. I want to bite the ground and do wheelies here and there but mostly road riding....

I know the strada can get some more agressive tires...

...how bout I buy the stada and trade the black body parts with a terra owner...lol!

When I make the purchase, either one, should I demand that they prove it has the latest map? How can I get them to prove its on there? I dont believe it was on the demo because the first quarter throttle was choked up....
Old 05-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #2738
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61 View Post
...how bout I buy the stada and trade the black body parts with a terra owner...lol!

When I make the purchase, either one, should I demand that they prove it has the latest map? How can I get them to prove its on there? I dont believe it was on the demo because the first quarter throttle was choked up....
Concerning plastics, just order you an extra set. They run from $40-$60 normally. Most people are after the black plastics, so you could probably find more than a few Terra owners to trade with if you choose that route.

Concerning the Moss flash, make sure your dealer actually has the Moss system first. Some dealers have sent them back from what I'm hearing.

You'll know the difference in the throttle response. My throttle does not stumble at idle, period. Those without the flash report a lot of stumbling when cracking the throttle from idle.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #2739
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Moss

One thing I've discovered on the Moss..(before or after treatment)..if you tow the bike any distance much at all.....especially if the elevation changes....when you first start the bike...allow it to idle. Without touching the throttle at all...for several minutes. I reckon it goes into a "learning" mode and does some self adjustment.....sure made a diifference in the way my bike runs.

Another thumbs up to Eurosport Asheville in NC. They know what's what! Rare these days. All that work there seem to be enthusiast too. They like to come to work and it shows.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #2740
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Pretty easy choice...

Rayzor,

Wow....if the Strada was $200 more....it might be a harder decision. But in your shoes with what you've said your "mission statement" of riding on road more...save the $200 for farkles and pull the trigger before they are gone gone!

I am happier each time I get on the Strada. I had a hard time picking between the two as well. Really boiled down to tubeless tires..(easier repair) and abs...which I wanted because I am old and slower....and spoiled by BMW sorta.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #2741
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Rayzor,

Wow....if the Strada was $200 more....it might be a harder decision. But in your shoes with what you've said your "mission statement" of riding on road more...save the $200 for farkles and pull the trigger before they are gone gone!

I am happier each time I get on the Strada. I had a hard time picking between the two as well. Really boiled down to tubeless tires..(easier repair) and abs...which I wanted because I am old and slower....and spoiled by BMW sorta.
Just got back from your neck of the woods. The Smokey Mountain National Park was great as well as the tail.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #2742
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
I test drove a few bikes and liked the Terra and Strada.

Oh well, it was an interesting day here, and here at this forum.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #2743
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

I guess you really can fit anything in a minivan.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #2744
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61 View Post
Okay, Im ready to shoot!

What one should I get?

Stada Out the door $6500
Terra Out the door $6700

I'm torn........because I will probably do mostly Street riding but want to be able to go off the road without problems.....
US differences...

Strada has:

- ABS
- 17/19 Alloy Wheels
- Low Front Fender
- Black Plastics

Terra has:

- 17/21 Spoke Wheels
- High Fender
- Red Plastics
- Spark arrestor in mufflers

The forks and shocks are different between the bikes, the assumption is tuned a bit more toward dirt (Terra) and street (Strada)

Adding ABS to a Terra would be very expensive if it's possible.
Adding spoke wheels to a Strada is about $1k
You can put the hgh fender on a Strada for about $50
Colored plastics swap for about $100

They key deciding points are ABS and wheels. There's a lot of threads about pros and cons of alloys vs spokes, and there's a lot of threads on ABS.

It really comes down to what you want to do. Want a good selection of off road tires and spoked wheels, by a Terra. Want a good selection of tubless road tires, and the option for more agressive 50/50 tubless tires like TKC-80s or Heidanau K60s, get a Strada. Want ABS, get a Strada.

I wanted ABS and Tubeless tires. I've got 4500 miles on my Strada, probably 1000 of that on gravel. It does exactly what I want.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #2745
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
At those prices, Strada with 50/50 tires and call it good.