Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #6661
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
I miss ordered and got a 3 1/2" wide front tire has anyone tried to fit it on?
It's a Kenda 270 that is what's on there now but 3"

TOM

3.25 X 21? No problem; have mounted 'em on both KLR650 and 250.
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #6662
rhlrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Speaking of tires, has anybody else ran the Michelin T63's? They came on the bike and seem to work well all around. I'll figure out how long they last.
I've got them on right now and I love them. They are not the longest lasting tire around but they are cheap and do everything that I need.

They are a bit noisy on the road but IMO they do very well on the road considering they are a fairly knobby tire....
rhlrdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #6663
DirtyRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I went ahead and ordered the pelican box for my ocean to ocean TAT trip. I'm thinking a set of engine guards might be a good idea, I've seen a few KLRs on here with them, anyone know the best place to buy that kind of thing??
DirtyRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #6664
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRooster View Post
I went ahead and ordered the pelican box for my ocean to ocean TAT trip. I'm thinking a set of engine guards might be a good idea, I've seen a few KLRs on here with them, anyone know the best place to buy that kind of thing??

Happy Trails combo = nerf bars, hwy pegs and bash plate all for $300. I love mine.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #6665
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,783
I ran a set a while back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Speaking of tires, has anybody else ran the Michelin T63's? They came on the bike and seem to work well all around. I'll figure out how long they last.
I liked them, easiest tire I've ever mounted. Lasted 3000 miles (I haven't run any knobbie that lasted more than 3000 miles) dirt and pavement riding. Only reason I don't run them now is they don't last long enough. I now run kenda trackmaster II on my "primarily" dirt KLR and Kenda K270's on my "commutor"
Old 05-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #6666
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRooster View Post
I have the happy trails stuff like was posted above.

I kind of regret getting it. Dollar for dollar I think I should have just got the acerbis 6.6 gallon tank. Should protect the radiator just as good, lighter, and a bit more crash worthy. At least you know the stock stuff wont get damaged in the garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #6667
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 274
Happy Trails

Works for me. Seems to be good quality. The nerf bars may not be as heavy-duty as some other brands, but the combo package is hard to beat on price.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #6668
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Dad has an 08 I have an 04. The 08 is definitely better above 65 mph or so, but a bit of wind and a few semis and it can still get sketchy above 70 or so. The main issue is the height and weight distribution of the bikes more so than the fairings. If you intend to commute and never off road, I'd go for the newer version. Especially if you are in a cool area and can take advantage of the higher output stator (electric gloves/vest). For off-road I prefer the older model, and I much prefer it when it comes to working on the bike. If I never had to take it a part I'd maybe consider upgrading to the newer model (the 2013 blacked out ones are super sexy IMO), but I despise the removal of the 08+ fairings!

The 08+ can still wheel though:

thanks for the reply... it's funny, what you said was EXACTLY what i was thinking just looking at it... so thanks for confirming!

I do plan to ride off road, that's why i am getting ride of my cruiser I honestly prefer the look of the pre-'07 too.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #6669
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Tire Help

So I do most of my riding on highways for commuting to and from school but i do enjoy off road as well... so would you guys advise having a tire for both or one for each, off and on road? I really like the look of some of the road tires, but don't want to look like an idiot getting stuck everywhere and not moving because of my tires not catching dirt... so what you guys think??

thanks!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #6670
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,089
^Why not go for a dual sport tire?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #6671
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
So I do most of my riding on highways for commuting to and from school but i do enjoy off road as well... so would you guys advise having a tire for both or one for each, off and on road? I really like the look of some of the road tires, but don't want to look like an idiot getting stuck everywhere and not moving because of my tires not catching dirt... so what you guys think??

thanks!
My vote Kenda 270's both ends
It will have you covered on both dirt and asphalt.

My rear has +6000 miles and has at least 3 more.
Front 5000 but I should have flipped it at 3000 and it would have been better mileage.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #6672
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,783
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
My vote Kenda 270's both ends
It will have you covered on both dirt and asphalt.

My rear has +6000 miles and has at least 3 more.
Front 5000 but I should have flipped it at 3000 and it would have been better mileage.

tom
Run the K270's almost exclusively at this point, tried a few different brands and settled on these for my style of riding. Dirt vs. street, just lower the air pressure for the dirt to 20-25lbs. works for me. 30-35lbs for the highway. consistantly 8-9000 miles.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #6673
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post

thanks!
I put a set of shinko 244's on my girlfriends klr and like them. Theyre going on mine next.

Very similar to the 270's mentioned above.

Other people may feel different. I'm used to knobbies.

IMO

Road- good handling, quiet enough, tracks well. Not a sport bike tire but good enough.

Gravel- as good as can be expected.

Dirt- I'm not quite used to them. Its weird to me. They feel like a true dirt tire until they slip. Basically they hook up good, but if you get in a slippery section you're going to be spinning a lot. They don't dig in like a knobbie.

Wet grass- umm... have someone ready with a camera. I manged to wreck in the yard the first time I rode it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #6674
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363
Shinko 705

75 / 25 tires. Mostly blacktop, some gravel roads, couple atv trails, no single track

This past summer my budget dictated that I would be shopping for another set of cheap, affordable rubber for my 2009 KLR 650. I ordered them from Motorcycle Superstore. I think the shipping was free.

I ran them over 3,000 miles into the fall. I must say, they are wearing evenly, no cupping, cracking or chunking. They are confident on pavement, they are great on tar snakes and re-assuring in the rain. Like the stock Dunlop's that came on my KLR, I think these are a softer rubber compound, but if that means a great ride, quite tire experience that is safe, affordable and not scary in all conditions, than its a top choice for me, especially based on price, and these are typically available. I don't want to hear about tires like the Continentals that are never available and on back order my whole riding season. If money was no object, I would run Avon Gripsters. But on my current budget, I can get a pair of Shinko's for considerably less than just the back in a Gripster.

They are considered from one source as being a 75-25 tire, which fits my riding style perfectly. About 25% gravel riding is my limit (seldom go very far off road alone) with the 540 pound weight of my bike trip-rigged. I do keep my tires aired down from what they say to run them at. Working great thus far with heavy loads!

Probably going to be a 4,000 mile tire. Thanks for reading. Just one ole rider's humble opinion. I have run 4 different tire brands and must say these are quite reliable with no quirks for the money for my riding style and bike weight.

Rear $57.99
130 X 80 X17

Front $49.00
90 X 90 X21

Old 05-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #6675
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaino View Post
Hello all, i'm seeking some opinions

I was riding my 08 KLR yesterday when, after about a half hour ride my bike just cut out.
I rolled to a stop and tried a quick fix fuel check but all seem fine.
I have to go and retrieve it in the morning and was hoping for a few ideas.
Does the KLR have a low oil cut out?
Thoughts anyone.

Adrian
Possibly the kick stand safety switch? I had the same thing happen in the middle of the Gaspe. I pulled the cover and disconnected the wiring and it worked fine after that. Just remember to put the kick stand up before you take off...

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote