Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,337
Scrambler over a high end shitter...I guess that was a no brainer! LOL enjoy the ride.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,506
can't wait for the updates, but i can appreciate the fact that you dont wanna take any electronics with you. takes you out of the adventure when you're looking for WiFi, charging devices, yada yada yada...

you're supposed to be enjoying yourself and immersed, do so.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Good on you and best of luck. If you are traveling through the Pungo area this weekend for a shakedown run, let me know. I'll pay for your passage on the Currituck Ferry (free) and buy you a beer. Thanks for your service!
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
bartonbrett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I'm in Norfolk, VA and I rode cross country on my 2010 Scrambler last Spring. Bike also had TKC's on it. Don't expect much help from the headlight at night in complete darkness.

Other than that, bike is awesome and perfect for what you want to do.

Let me know if you need any help or have any questions. I frequent D&D and look forward to your report!
1974 RD 350
1975 RD 250
bartonbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
Skrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Thank you for your service!

Nice bike! Enjoy the wind in your face.
Skrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
Thanks for your service.

It you make it to the left coast there are plenty of folk here that will be happy to put up with you, I mean put you up.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
dreadly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by St_rydr View Post
Scrambler over a high end shitter...I guess that was a no brainer! LOL enjoy the ride.
ditto!

Enjoy the journey
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #23
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,570
Welcome home Jim. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Those TKC's do look nice. I ran them on my KLR for awhile, love the looks and performance, hate the price.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #24
dirty savage
n00b

Oddometer: 2
LostJim, I have a very similar story. I cut the cord and my losses......and got back into motorcycles after a 10 year break. It's great therapy I can sure tell you that. And I just picked up a matte graphite 2013 Scrambler 3 weeks ago. This bike has a lot of character and is fun to ride (sounds great too with the right pipes). And since my buddies recently paid our their asses on new BMW GSAs, I like to make it a point to ride wheelies past them around town, take them in the twisties and handle my own in the dirt with something I paid 1/3 the cost. Feels like an ultra heavy dirtbike, but I've had her in some sticky situations on trails where I probably shouldn't have been and she produced!

Reach out if you want to explore California. We have it all out here......and beautiful women who like guys on retro looking bikes
dirty savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,371
Red is really hard to read.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #26
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 450
Hi LostJim,

Sorry to hear of your situation. Enjoy your Scram ADVenture; don't worry about posting as you go, it's your chill out trip. Just tell us all about it when you can.... looking forward to it... subscribed.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #27
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Red is really hard to read.
Right click in front of the first word, scroll to the bottom of the post. Voila ! White script on blue background !

Very interested in the personal story and the Scrambler.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #28
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,371
That's what I did. Kind of helps make my point, as white on blue is much easier than red.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #29
LostJim OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Prologue -

What an incredible month; 30 days and 6,933 miles in the saddle. This was my first multi-day motorcycle trip and I must admit there were a few times that I thought that I had bit off more than I could chew. I took this trip to find some answers, deal with my wife leaving me, and to have a little adventure.

Did I find any answers? No, not really. There was no moment of epiphany, no light bulb. The answers to life's big questions are not out there on the road. At least not in the literal sense. What I did find was a new appreciation for life, fell in love with my country all over again, and had time to reflect on how good my life really is. I am a lucky guy, and realize that more than ever.

Did I deal with my wife leaving me? Sure. I talked to and flirted with a lot of pretty girls. It was nice to be reminded that there are plenty of fish in the sea. But most importantly, I came to the realization that I need to get to know myself again, get comfortable with being single, and cross a few things off my bucket list. Do I miss the ex? Sometimes. Would I change my situation? No.

Did I have a little adventure? Absolutely. I mean, how can you not have some adventure riding almost 7,000 miles on a bike that is designed for riding around town? I was stopped at just about every gas station and restaurant. People saw my bike, then me, then my Virginia license plate. Most people said I was crazy, or tough. no one said I was stupid, not to my face anyways. The best looks and conversation I got was after riding through a pretty intense dust storm in west Texas. Stuck between two towns, I had to press on. When I finally rolled into a McDonalds, walked in and ordered a snack and a sweet tea, the entire restaurant was just staring at me.

I figured out why when I went into the bathroom and got a look in the mirror. Dirt and sand was caked on everywhere except the rings around my eyes where my goggles were. I looked like a madman.

I learned a lot during the past month. Like it's impossible to not spill gas on my tank at any Exxon gas pump (not sure why their pumps spray gas everywhere); Rain pants will melt to an Arrow exhaust in less than 3 miles; don't let your grandmother apply chain lube while you push the bike (unless you want her to use half the can and somehow get the stuff all over your muffler); crazy stuff can and will happen, like a wild turkey flying out of a ditch and doing its best to run you off your bike; riding on a bridge, over a lake, in a thunderstorm, gives you about the same "pucker-factor" as driving through Iraq or Afghanistan in areas known for IEDs; when on the interstate, keep your mouth closed or wear a bandanna around your face; and no matter how tired/lazy you feel, take off the bandanna before walking into a convenience store to buy a drink (yeah.. actually, that was probably the "best" looks I got all trip).

I rode some pretty awesome roads and some pretty dismal ones. Explored some neat little towns and cities, and got stuck in a couple of places I probably won't visit again. I took the scrambler off road a bit.. Something I will do again in the future, but on a limited basis. The TKC-80's will stay, but mostly because they look bad-ass.

I left Virginia Beach, VA and rode to Ocean City, MD. From there I took (mostly) Hwy 50 west to Colorado. After a few days with my folks, I rode through New Mexico and Texas to Oklahoma City. Then to Dallas, San Antonio, Memphis, Deal's Gap, and Emerald Island, NC. For my last leg, I rode up the NC coast, riding the ferries to the Outer Banks and on to Virginia Beach.

I didn't get to New Orleans, Savannah, or Charleston like I wanted; but I have no regrets. I got to spend time with family and friends instead. Besides, now I know where my next trip will be.

It was a wonderful experience; one that I plan to replicate often. I will complete a day-to-day account with photos (and maybe some links to video from the GoPro) over the next couple of weeks. Stay Tuned.
LostJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #30
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Oh did I laugh reading about the dust storm and the bandana. Can't wait for the details of your trip.
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote