Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #76801
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
No. How do I know? I spent all summer chasing a stumble at idle. I had the o-ring between the spring and washer. It's spring, washer, o-ring. Think about that o-ring getting chewed up by the end of the spring.

Oh sorry, I should have put them in order. My point was Tuckers did not mention a WASHER in his post. I'm not sure of the order, just wanted to list what is in there.

When I did mine I just copied the OEM set up after pulling out stock fuel screw, re-installed extended fuel screw, putting spring, washer and O ring in the order they came out in.

I think you've got it right ... the O ring is first, then the washer, which holds it evenly in place, then the Spring to act as a sort of detent for the screw so that your adjustment stays put. Is that right?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #76802
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Thumb

Yep.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #76803
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,629
Yeah the O ring sits in the carb as gasket

I had inadvertently left the old O ring and washer in and put the new o ring and washer on top.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #76804
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Got it!
We have two DR's. I am doing most every mod twice. Prepping them for long distance good road surface travel. Tierra Del Fuego is the dream!

Flipped both to Factory lowered
Done both air filters/fuel screws
Two Acerbis tanks (2 taps)
Two mid pipes/2 GSXR 750 cans
Two front sprocket retainer
Two 16T fronts
Two neutral safety switch mod
Two sets side case protectors
Dozens of Stainless Socket head Allens
Two shortened side stands

Looking for recommendations on skid plates

Still not decided on luggage. Have left over TT top boxes but no sides yet.

Also thinking about Dash Boards. May move the IGN, idiot lights and remove Speedo and use GPS. Can barely see the idiot lights and IGN is a pain to use with gloves on.
You'll be an expert in No Time. Congrats on proving again it's hard to screw up the DR650 ... its most always a simple fix!

Awesome on your prep. Good to do long shake down ride, testing out all the gear and see how the bikes do. In a week or two on the road you'll learn LOTS about what you two like and don't. Then you can come home and spend even MORE MONEY! Be very careful if you re-do dash and electrics. Should be Pro done or very close ... and make sure YOU can diagnose and fix it on the side of the road ... in Bolivia, at night ... in the rain!

Keep in mind a South America trip will be mostly paved roads. At least 60%, unless you really go out of your way to seek out dirt routes. If you wanted to you could probably do 90% paved roads ... but you'd be skipping some cool sections ... like North Eastern Peru' and the Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, the Death Road, to mention just a few.

If doing some off road (mostly easy dirt roads) then I'd go with Soft Luggage. Much lighter weight. Limits what you can carry. (a good thing)

I've been prepping for a little Grand Canyon ride next week. I'm sure as soon as I mention this something will screw up ... then you guys can laugh at me. Here is my set up with "new to me" Nelson-Rigg bags and duffel bag on top for camping equip.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #76805
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

I've been prepping for a little Grand Canyon ride next week. I'm sure as soon as I mention this something will screw up ... then you guys can laugh at me. Here is my set up with "new to me" Nelson-Rigg bags and duffel bag on top for camping equip.
Thanks for posting this picture. I have finally found a rider who puts more crap on his bike than I do.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #76806
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah the O ring sits in the carb as gasket

I had inadvertently left the old O ring and washer in and put the new o ring and washer on top.
Sucks to be human. I ended up divorced because my ex laughed AT me instead of WITH me.

Quote:
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #76807
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
The NZ/AU spec emulsion tube is brass.
As far as I can tell, all markets except the US don't have nickel plated emulsion tubes. I think it's interesting to consider why that might be.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #76808
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,629
It was my wife Colleen who phoned our local friend and fellow DR rider Milano Bambino and he had me pull the fuel screw first, good call.

Colleen and James are both experienced BMW R Boxer GS riders with a combined 360,000 miles. We carry a lot of crap and camp.

On the DR's we are going to have to go with a lot less! We will make a few Baja shake down trips and see how we do.

Colleen is NOT a happy off roader. She gave it her best shot with our now sold Yamaha TW200's...and she did quite well...but as she says...."it doesn't make me smile"

That's what it's all about for us, miles and smiles. So we will seek out the best surface roads and do what we have to do to keep smiling through it.

I love the DR650. I've taken it on our local mountain ride and it is no slower on that run than the BMW R1200GS. The road holding is superb and the power not too shabby. I have a 16T front sprocket so have to keep it on the boil...it sure does like to run.

What does the collective here say about skid plates? I want good ones.

The dash wiring will be fun for me, I love that stuff. I will simplify it and understand it so I will know what's up.

I have a low Corbin seat on the 2009 and we shaved the OEM seat on the 2007. We haven't decided yet who is going to have what bike. They are basically the same and both low miles.

I have been riding and loving the 2009 as it has had more of the mods finished, but now the 2007 is up to par.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #76809
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,255
A little word about the mighty DR. I now own a V Strom 650 along with my DR650, and it's been a back and forth thing on which gets ridden more. It's usually the Strom to be honest, mostly when I'm going somewhere just on-road.

Well, we headed for Moab last week, and of course I took the DR. One day we made a long morning ride, and in the afternoon the girls headed for the lake and my buddy and I ran a fairly difficult trail with many creek crossings, rocky obstacles, sand bottoms, etc. The only other bikes we saw on this trail were 250's with real suspension, and here we are on big tanker 650's with some luggage. I have a 16 tooth front sprocket on mine as well.

So we get through this trail, which took 2 or 3 hours, and the big bike does it just fine. Never dropped it once. But once we got up out of the canyon, and I got back on the highway for the ride back to town, I settled in rolling 70 or so, just smiling ear to ear, realizing this bike in one ride has proven to me that it will do god damn near anything and do it pretty darn well.

When I first bought my DR, I figured this was the bike to have thinking I'd only have one bike. Even though I now have more, I was right. It's the best "one bike" bike, at least for me.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #76810
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It was my wife Colleen who phoned our local friend and fellow DR rider Milano Bambino and he had me pull the fuel screw first, good call.
Does Colleen have a sister?

Quote:
Colleen and James are both experienced BMW R Boxer GS riders with a combined 360,000 miles. We carry a lot of crap and camp.
Too bad they wasted all that time on a BMW.

Quote:
Colleen is NOT a happy off roader. She gave it her best shot with our now sold Yamaha TW200's...and she did quite well...but as she says...."it doesn't make me smile"
It's cool that she said it and you acknowledged it.

Quote:
That's what it's all about for us, miles and smiles. So we will seek out the best surface roads and do what we have to do to keep smiling through it.

Quote:
I love the DR650. I've taken it on our local mountain ride and it is no slower on that run than the BMW R1200GS. The road holding is superb and the power not too shabby. I have a 16T front sprocket so have to keep it on the boil...it sure does like to run.
Running a 16t front (+1) and a 42 rear (stock) is almost too tall for my 6k + foot altitude. Not what I'd consider having to 'keep it on the boil'?

Quote:
What does the collective here say about skid plates? I want good ones.
It's been years since I bought mine, but if I remember correctly, it's a Utah sometin' and I got it from Kientec. I made that choice because it's 3/16", NOT 1/8".

Quote:
I have been riding and loving the 2009 as it has had more of the mods finished, but now the 2007 is up to par.

Quote:
Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #76811
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
A little word about the mighty DR. I now own a V Strom 650 along with my DR650, and it's been a back and forth thing on which gets ridden more. It's usually the Strom to be honest, mostly when I'm going somewhere just on-road.

Well, we headed for Moab last week, and of course I took the DR. One day we made a long morning ride, and in the afternoon the girls headed for the lake and my buddy and I ran a fairly difficult trail with many creek crossings, rocky obstacles, sand bottoms, etc. The only other bikes we saw on this trail were 250's with real suspension, and here we are on big tanker 650's with some luggage. I have a 16 tooth front sprocket on mine as well.

So we get through this trail, which took 2 or 3 hours, and the big bike does it just fine. Never dropped it once. But once we got up out of the canyon, and I got back on the highway for the ride back to town, I settled in rolling 70 or so, just smiling ear to ear, realizing this bike in one ride has proven to me that it will do god damn near anything and do it pretty darn well.

When I first bought my DR, I figured this was the bike to have thinking I'd only have one bike. Even though I now have more, I was right. It's the best "one bike" bike, at least for me.
I LOVE the desert scenery in southern Utah. I run a 16t when I visit Kalif, but in Utah a 16t is pretty tall; glad/surprised you were able to ride that terrain.

I can relate how nice it must have been running 70 on the way back. At that speed with a 16T, my DR feels like my ex-FJR (well, ok, almost).

Quote:
Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #76812
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,712
Skid Plate

ER70S-2,

That's a Utah Sport/Ricochet plate. I have the same one, and have put them on at least 3 different bikes now. Bought from Jesse, too.

Sarah
Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #76813
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Got it!

Milano Bambino phoned me and told me to pull the fuel screw, I did
I thought you were making a play on my name since I posted that two pages ago suggesting that a lot of people do the same.

I guess we M B's think alike?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #76814
richeyroo
34L King of bikes !

Oddometer: 112
Evening men

Thanks to some serious abuse of my credit card, the good people at Procycle, about 5 hours spannering, and some outrageous lies to my wife, my 2012 stock DR650 now looks like this......

20l Acerbis tank, TM40 pumper, DG end can, 1" bar risers, bash plate, handguards, opened up airbox all the usual stuff

And I live in Muscat, Oman so I can now go here again...(that's me on my old CRF450X - I got bored with 10 hour oil changes and a new piston every couple of days so bought a mighty DR instead !)

So, a couple of questions........................

Seriously does anybody ride with the DG can, WITHOUT the quiet insert ? Mine came without one and it is blisteringly, awesomely, incredibly loud. I sort of like it but I'm not so sure. In Oman we don't have many Highway Regs, just so long as you have insurance, the Boys in Blue leave you alone. Full throttle, in 2nd or 3rd is almost unbearable, even with an open face lid and ear plugs. But I think I'll keep it that way. Plus the quiet insert costs 40 Dollars, so LOUD it will be I think.

Secondly, I've put a right hand petrol cock on the Acerbis and the fuel line runs under the tank to say hello to carb. And that gets soooo hot, I almost can't touch it ! It is 45 in the daytime here, mind. Should I be worried ? I've used the 1/4" fuel lines that Acerbis/Procycle supply - I guess they are good up to 50 degrees or so

Anyway, love my new DR and love Oman, one of the best countries in the world to own a Dual Sport

(it used to look this this......before the credit card took a whack.....................)

richeyroo screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 10:21 AM
richeyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #76815
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,712
DG exhaust

Nice bike, richeyroo!

For a cheap and easy way to tone down the DG pipe, check out this thread and read about Heavy's mod:

http://drriders.com/topic1014-110.ht...41c1aaa8522781

Worked well for me, made for a nice-sounding pipe.

Sarah