Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #211
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,492
If I judge from my PR2s you have a long way to go before the cords show. Had one or two with such threads and probably even worse, cords only showed when I got home after a few thousand Kms, last of them on Hwy6. Must have been the chip seal that did it in finally....Hwy 6 and 23 are hard on tires.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #212
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
New Tires

Made it to Astoria. Having contacted MI in Seattle I was told that they are way busy and too understaffed. and it would take days to get tires. Switched to Portland and found the recommended shop no longer dealt with Guzzi and the new Guzzi dealership was not answering the phone or returning messages. Matter of fact, a day later they still haven't.
I decided to Google bike shops in Astoria and found a KTM dealership that would be happy to sell and mount some tires which they could get overnight. Perfect.
I chose the originals, Scorpions, which I actually liked and found they handled occasional dirt quite well. The downside was the longevity but maybe they have improved on that. So, hopefully, they will arrive this morning and I will be well on my way towards Port Townsend by early afternoon.
The Carc boot looks like bad news. I think with rear end collision as ruptured a seal at the CV joint/tranny and, with heading for the land of no dealerships, I may have to consult the lawyer to slap on another five geez to cover what I am going to have to go thru to get the bike to Kamloops or Calgary for repairs, and get it back. I am getting the KTM guy to check bearings, rims and the like.
Soooo......yesterday was a very pleasant, if not a little cold, ride north. Didin't dig out enough 'northern gear' to be comfortable but I will be prepared today.
And now, I'd like to discuss our great Canadian gift to you 'Mericans.

Broom. when I first emigrated to Vancouver Island, I was attacked by this nastyiest of pollens and know first hand how bad it can be. I am told that it was a 'gift' to us from some damn Scotsman who thought his home plant was pretty and brought one over to remind him of home. Being the flowering season, I was surprised to it's spread at least as far down as 33 out of Malibu and have seem whole cliffs totally covered on my way north. Not only is it murder on your sinuses, it completely devastates and natural plants.
I guess it's just our way of getting back at you for McDonald's.
Seriously, I wouldn't wish this 'gift' on anyone.
Blue skies did prevail for a time.

But the view from my motel (nice, huh?) shows the mornings' mood.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #213
borscht zanetti
Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer: 180
One other dealer option is Empire Cycle in Spokane, they do MG, Triumph and Aprilia. I have been dealing with them and impressed at how thorough the mechanic is. And hey, they are only 2 hours south.

http://www.empire-cycle.com/

Another tire option is Conti Trail Attacks. Used to tour and some gravel on my KTM and was very impressed with handling and longevity.
borscht zanetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #214
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

May have to pay them a visit, Jim. The tire change went flawlessly. I asked the tech to look into a couple of issues. The CARC bearing or race or whatever it is is smooth and clean. The front the same. The oil is coming from the CARC. The rims are true but the rear tire had a few sidewall threads showing at one spot I think it kinda got ruptured from the hit. The low speed wobble is gone and was from the rear.
I noticed the 350 and 500 KTMs had identical plate light housings and asked him to check for a bulb. He had one and installed it.
I do like the Scorpions and hope they hold up a decent amount. Went looking for reviews and there were a couple saying from 7 to 14 thousand mile on em. Hope it's true.
How about a joke? A funny thing happened on the way back to the bike shop. I had just received a call the bike was ready and was walking along the noisy highway when the phone rang again. I couldn't really hear who it was but he was asking about the trip and was I still in the US? Then I heard him say the fairing was in and did he want it shipped somewhere? Figured out it was Danny at Fasttrix in Tallahassee who had gone after a number of warranty items for me. What I really wanted was a replacement windshield because I had had to file the holes in mine to bring it into alinement. I had showed Danny where it had made the tiniest of marks on the faring and I guess he put in for replacement on both. Well, being Guzzi and God knows why, they refused to replace the windshield and OKd the fairing. And now, after all these months, they have sent it to Danny.
So, in the next month or so, I will be the proud owner of a new fairing which I will flog. Say, that reminds me, Peter Youngblood. Still got your orig shield? wanna trade?
on to yesterday. Sun came out. Got a late start but pushed myself to Port Townsend.
The mighty Columbia at Astoria.

Good by (for now) Columbia. I say that cause I'm kinda going to live on it.

Hello Warshington.

The roads got ruff.

Naww. Just a peebreak on the old section of the highway.

And up the lovely Hood Canal.

From the Astoria road all the way up to Port Townsend is a lovely ride.
Which brings us to the start of another lovely ride. Hwy 20.

Aching and resting in Port Townsend. (Man, I'm gettin old!)

Jim, PM and texted u. Will be in Winthrop tonight hopefully. Guess being the middle of the week, you are not going on any rides?
Well, see u when I am up there.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #215
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 876
Glad to see you had decent weather in where the mighty Columbia meets the vast pacific.
Actually, it only rains twice a year in Astoria, once all Fall/Winter and once all Spring/Summer.

Former Astorian
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #216
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Well Shoob, high praise to your local boys, L&D Race Tech for their professional and expert service.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #217
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

This Is The End, Beautiful Friend.

Well, not really. (Man, that Jim Morrison was such a downer, man!)
Safely back. Bike parked temporarily at Bubba Zanetti's.
Ferry and ride up Whidby Is. was foggy and COLD!

Kept thinkin, 'Gotta pull over and get some more clothes on.' Or 'It's gonna break. Is that the sun? Do I see the sun? And sure enough, at the crack o noon, it appeared in all it's glory. Temp skyrocketing from that damp, chilly 50 to 85.
Concrete. Nuttin can hurt you here!

And in this kinda weather, Hwy 20 has got to be one of the best rides on the continent.

So I rode down into Winthrop and went back to the great little motel they have there.

This place has all rooms with balconies facing the river. Fantastic!

Winthrop remains the same. I'm sure you've seen a million photos.
Here's one more.

Then it was on down into wine and orchard country.

Warm riding to the border with gently flooding rivers.

Being kind of a semi disorganized sort, it was about 10 minutes out from Canadian Customs that it occured to me that I had spent a lot of money in the US. So, what was the gameplan? Tell em I was just out for a few days' ride or fess up. Well, it wouldn't be the first time my usually too honest mouth has put me on the spot. So, I just sort of blurted out the short form of my story, having gone back down to get my fixed bike for ten days. So, do I have receipts? Hmmmm...
Well, I did on the Pooter but I kinda dumped all that onto my backup drive when I got home. Oh oh.
I dug out the netbook and somehow still had Todd's receipt for work done.
Showed it top him and, because I was gone for more than 8 days I was entitled to an $800 discount on the duty. A measly $68 had me on my way.
I forgot to mention a couple of items and I won't mention em here.
Got into Castlegar leaving the bike at Jim's and picking up the truck at the local Powerstroke Gurus'. The news there was good in that after an extensive lookover, the motor checked out sound. And, altho it was in need of a couple of pretty expensive items (fan clutch,$800, injector $800) it wasn't a must do issue right away.
So... a few more days in this tiny place I am now at and I move into my 'mandominium' overlooking the Columbia and begin my life as a Kootenier in earnest.
It's been quite a ride. Would I do it again? Well, there's that new 1400 Californian.....
And I'd skip Texas.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #218
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,530
All good things come to pause. Ill be looking forward to 2014. Hope to find myself with a long ride with my son someday and all the time to figure it out.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #219
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 876
It is never the end..

Beauty pics Mr. Tride. Thanks for taking us along.