Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #31
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
If not

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpus
I've got a 2005 950 that's now out of warranty by a year, and of course my starter is finally eating shit. It's always had the nasty CLACK!, but apparently not bad enough to warrant a replacement while the warranty was still valid. Now it's stranded my twice (makes a noise like an impact wrench), but still starts the bike most of the time.

Has anyone gotten KTM to replace the torque limiter out of warranty? My local dealer is less than helpful, and I'm concerned they still won't approve a replacement since it doesn't clack every single time. All I want are the parts, I'll gladly replace it myself. Should I contact KTM directly? Any advice?

Thanks.
If you can't get the parts (fast enough or at all) others have welded the stock one (makes it like an 04), or use the washer fix for temporary or longer.
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #32
tn-steve
Addicted

Oddometer: 1,550
Worst case is $180

Your dealer should replace it, even out of warranty.

Worst case scenario is you have to buy the kit yourself. It's $180. I ordered mine from ktm-parts.com.

Again, if it's clacking every start or completely failed, the dealer should replace it regardless of warranty status.
tn-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #33
jimrazz
No Big

Oddometer: 85
I have an '04 and it's doing the clack-clack-whirl! I haven't taken it apart yet, but I want to have parts on hand for when I do.

I talked to Cory at KTM hutt prior to looking at this thread, and he explained a little about it and was very helpful, but now after reading this I feel very educated on the matter, and somewhat at ease as far as the fix.

I'm not sure of the differences in the "04 mentioned in the thread, but just know that it has the exact same issue as described. I have 18K on the odo.

I may be giving Cory a call back. I know he mentioned a one way bearing as suspect, but if there is a kit perhaps he can order one up for me.

Thanks for all the great info and pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'04 950 adv
'92 R100GSPD
'07 WR450 plated
+assorted others

jimrazz screwed with this post 10-12-2007 at 05:20 PM
jimrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #34
zedtours
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
[QUOTE=jimrazz;5480477]I have an '04 and it's doing the clack-clack-whirl! I haven't taken it apart yet, but I want to have parts on hand for when I do.

I talked to Cory at KTM hutt prior to looking at this thread, and he explained a little about it and was very helpful, but now after reading this I feel very educated on the matter, and somewhat at ease as far as the fix.

I'm not sure of the differences in the "04 mentioned in the thread, but just know that it has the exact same issue as described. I have 18K on the odo.

I may be giving Cory a call back. I know he mentioned a one way bearing as suspect, but if there is a kit perhaps he can order one up for me.

My 04 is completely different,did it change at some point and does the newer design fit? Mine had probs some time ago and from what I remember it had a cage and roller design that only allowed rotation one way when starter operated but free wheeled when running???
zedtours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 AM   #35
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Don't confuse the starter sprag clutch with the torque limiter.

The sprag clutch is the "cage and rollers" thing that allows the starter to turn the engine but freewheels in the other direction (ie the engine doesn't turn the starter). If this fails, the starter will just spin and the engine won't turn when you press the button.

If the old style torque limiter fails, you get the "clack clack" symptoms, the starter still doesn't turn the engine but it's a different part that needs to be replaced.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #36
zedtours
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse View Post
Don't confuse the starter sprag clutch with the torque limiter.

The sprag clutch is the "cage and rollers" thing that allows the starter to turn the engine but freewheels in the other direction (ie the engine doesn't turn the starter). If this fails, the starter will just spin and the engine won't turn when you press the button.

If the old style torque limiter fails, you get the "clack clack" symptoms, the starter still doesn't turn the engine but it's a different part that needs to be replaced.
So what does the limiter actually do..........does it act as a shock absorber when starting? I shall have to get my spare cover out for a good look and refresher course!
zedtours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #37
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedtours View Post
So what does the limiter actually do..........does it act as a shock absorber when starting? I shall have to get my spare cover out for a good look and refresher course!
The limiter was designed to slip before the sprag broke duing engine kickback, open throttle starting, hydrolock, etc.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #38
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
Anytime the starter button is pushed and the throttle is twisted. Gradually (or sooner), the noise will occur without the throttle twisted. You WILL know it when it happens.
Yup. Ordered the kit today. I was cheering my friend in a marathon. Went to hop on the bike and it sounded like there was a roll of quarters in there. It has been loud latley and I almost ordered the kit the other day when ordering some other bits. That'll learn me. hopefully will get it this week.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #39
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Kit #?

Bringing an oldie back from the dead!

Does anyone have the Part Number for the "KIT" to fix the clanking?

The part number 600.40.016.044 does not seem to show up when searching part numbers on KTM Twins. Is the kit still available?

http://cpmodem.smugmug.com/Motorcycl.../TB0634-X2.jpg
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #40
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
Bringing an oldie back from the dead!

Does anyone have the Part Number for the "KIT" to fix the clanking?

The part number 600.40.016.044 does not seem to show up when searching part numbers on KTM Twins. Is the kit still available?

http://cpmodem.smugmug.com/Motorcycl.../TB0634-X2.jpg
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-lc8-torq...it-60040016044

Yes it still exists since it's laying on my desk right now. :)
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #41
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-lc8-torq...it-60040016044

Yes it still exists since it's laying on my desk right now. :)

Thanks Katoom...guess the search function did not like extra dots.
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #42
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlsor View Post
SpeedsStar - I don't have the part in front of me now; I'm at work. But the gasket was no different from the original, and in fact, the replacement generator case / cover had the same part number as the original. Hmmm...

I compared part numbers from the pieces in my replacement kit with those in the Spare Parts Manual for my 2005 -S, and going from memory, they are the same.

That said, this is my 2nd gasket re-install (first replaced the stator, re-used original gasket), and this time I did replace the gasket with the new one that came in the box when I replaced my torque limiter.

I didn't experience any leaks after the first time, but it was tricky getting the gasket to stay in place. I mangled it a little bit, but apparently not enough to count.

This time I used a hillbilly trick that helped with the gasket. Pics shortly...

When I did my conversion I looked at the generator covers and thought "hell why did they send a new cover? These things look just alike!". So smart me re-used the old cover and guess what? It bound up the works and locked up the motor until I put the new cover on. I have not done a detailed measurement to see just what the differences are but I can tell you that there is a good reason to use the new case.
kingrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #43
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrj View Post
When I did my conversion I looked at the generator covers and thought "hell why did they send a new cover? These things look just alike!". So smart me re-used the old cover and guess what? It bound up the works and locked up the motor until I put the new cover on. I have not done a detailed measurement to see just what the differences are but I can tell you that there is a good reason to use the new case.
Some parts are wider, think im gonna do the swap today so il make some measurements on the new parts.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #44
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 722
I did mine last week. So cool that the 950 now starts like any other motorcycle. none of that clanking if you crack the throttle the least bit. So much easier to start when you can whack the throttle slightly as you start it. Should have replace it years ago.

Pretty easy swap.

I think the new method of limiting torque is like a friction clutch built into the new case. The old method was those rounded gear slipping that were replaced.

The kit is less $$ at CheepCycleParts.com than KTMtwins.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #45
howl
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 94
There was a recall in the UK,I had my 06 990 one replaced free of charge but that was back in 06/07.
howl is offline   Reply With Quote