ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
KTM 1190 Adventure R: Anatomy of an Off-Road Superbike

KTM 1190 Adventure R: Anatomy of an Off-Road Superbike

There was a time (doesn't seem like that long ago) when 150hp got you a ticket to the Superbikes. I'll admit that when I first heard of KTM's plans to build a genuine adventure bike with those kinds of specs that it seemed absurd.

After owning one for a couple of weeks it still does! Sure is fun though.

So, in the interests of documenting my learning curve on the orange bottle rocket, I am firing up a thread for all the things I learn along the way. As a dirt rider, my interest is in making the best off road explorer I can. Most likely that will mean that much of this bikes potential as a tar burner is wasted on me but I liked the bike so I bought one.

The base bike seems like a pretty comprehensive package, so the plan is to get things sorted without upping the price tag too much. Rather, I am hoping to tidy up a few area's and just ride the thing.

To places like this.

Tyres

An adventure bike with slick tyres just doesn't seem right so the first thing to go were the standard donuts. I looked around at Tubeless options and they are pretty limited in the front at this stage. According to their website, Pirelli make a Tubeless version of the Scorpion Rally but the Australian importer didn't know anything about it when we rang. So a tube went into the front rim (after unbolting the tyre pressure sensor) and a Tube Type Pirelli Scorpion Rally was fitted to give some extra bite. I was really impressed with these tyres on my previous bike and they are DOT approved to keep the constabulary at bay.

The only drawback to going this way is that the Tyre Pressure alarm pops up at me every time I turn the bike on but it disappears with the press of a button.

The rear was easier. A Tubeless Mitas E-09 Dakar was spooned onto the rim ready to go. Rear tyres are likely to have a limited lifespan on the big KTM so I guess if you try one and don't like it, there will be an opportunity for another in a short period of time. I like the Mitas though so I am thinking about buying them in multiples.

Fitting a tube to the rear would be a bit trickier than the front as the valve stem hole is offset but I think it could be done if you needed to go that way. I like the security of carrying spare tubes front and rear in combination with a tubeless repair kit and some patches.

Burren Rider screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 11:24 PM
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote