ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #196
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer
 
rmhrc628's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The high country VIC
Oddometer: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshott View Post
I was told the USA isn't getting the " Launch Edition". MSRP for a loaded one will be $15,545.
Wow so maybe it's a Europe only thing.

$15500 is 35% cheaper than our loaded version. (Assuming dollar is at parity)
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #197
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Wow so maybe it's a Europe only thing.

$15500 is 35% cheaper than our loaded version. (Assuming dollar is at parity)
This is always a tired argument. BMW dealers in California alone will sell more bikes next month than BMW Australia will in all of 2013. Assuming their staff salaries, building rents, utilities charges etc are pretty comparable, then the formula FIXED COSTS / UNIT SALES = MINIMUM PRICE is always going to work out cheaper if you live in the USA than in Australia. Combine that with the fact those fixed costs AREN'T comparable - salaries, rents, mortgages, and taxes are all less in the USA than here - and you end up with more expensive bikes. It's the price you pay for living here, not there.

Be glad you don't live in any part of Asia or South America, where the import duty on foreign bikes can cap 100% of the retail price.
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #198
JSEARS
Armed Adventurer
 
JSEARS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Marysville CA
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
This is always a tired argument. BMW dealers in California alone will sell more bikes next month than BMW Australia will in all of 2013. Assuming their staff salaries, building rents, utilities charges etc are pretty comparable, then the formula FIXED COSTS / UNIT SALES = MINIMUM PRICE is always going to work out cheaper if you live in the USA than in Australia. Combine that with the fact those fixed costs AREN'T comparable - salaries, rents, mortgages, and taxes are all less in the USA than here - and you end up with more expensive bikes. It's the price you pay for living here, not there.

Be glad you don't live in any part of Asia or South America, where the import duty on foreign bikes can cap 100% of the retail price.
Yup, A&S BMW in Sacramento CA is the highest selling BMW motorcycle dealer in the US and possibly world, and I believe the big dealer in LA is #3, not sure who holds #2 but it wouldn't surprise me if BMW San Diego was #2....a lot of GSs and RTs running around San Diego County.
__________________
08 KAWASAKI KLR650
05 HONDA CRF50
98 YAMAHA YZ125

http://www.youtube.com/user/SJulianYZ125/featured
JSEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #199
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSEARS View Post
Yup, A&S BMW in Sacramento CA is the highest selling BMW motorcycle dealer in the US and possibly world, and I believe the big dealer in LA is #3, not sure who holds #2 but it wouldn't surprise me if BMW San Diego was #2....a lot of GSs and RTs running around San Diego County.
These guys must be right up there:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/

always wondered why some of the stuff never makes it to the US.

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #200
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer
 
rmhrc628's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The high country VIC
Oddometer: 2,317
New F800GS ADVENTURE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
This is always a tired argument. BMW dealers in California alone will sell more bikes next month than BMW Australia will in all of 2013. Assuming their staff salaries, building rents, utilities charges etc are pretty comparable, then the formula FIXED COSTS / UNIT SALES = MINIMUM PRICE is always going to work out cheaper if you live in the USA than in Australia. Combine that with the fact those fixed costs AREN'T comparable - salaries, rents, mortgages, and taxes are all less in the USA than here - and you end up with more expensive bikes. It's the price you pay for living here, not there.

Be glad you don't live in any part of Asia or South America, where the import duty on foreign bikes can cap 100% of the retail price.
I think your argument is well wrong and doesn't stack up. Why did BMW take an axe to pricing on October 2012? Taxes rent and wages haven't decreased by 10-15%. In fact they have all gone up!!!



http://www.bikesales.com.au/news/201...s-prices-33177

This article shows a 10-15% price reduction across the whole range. Is that not real evidence of pricing what the market will bare? Of course it is.

The bike is made in Germany and shipped to Australia. Rent wages etc are but a tiny % of selling price.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #201
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 704
To add to this argument, if BMW bikes were lower people who are in the market for yamaha, honda, etc.. may look at buying a comparatively priced motorbike. I mean its not like they have to convert them to RHD is it? ;)

they can only fit so many bikes in a container from germany and its not like aust is going to order only half a container of bikes So then it surely doesn't come down to shipping..

Same as touratech germany to aust pricing
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #202
JSEARS
Armed Adventurer
 
JSEARS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Marysville CA
Oddometer: 324
The current exchange rate from USD-AUD is 1:1.03, so by the prices I am seeing on that chart, ADV riders down under are getting raped when they buy a new BMW.
__________________
08 KAWASAKI KLR650
05 HONDA CRF50
98 YAMAHA YZ125

http://www.youtube.com/user/SJulianYZ125/featured
JSEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #203
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer
 
rmhrc628's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The high country VIC
Oddometer: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSEARS View Post
The current exchange rate from USD-AUD is 1:1.03, so by the prices I am seeing on that chart, ADV riders down under are getting raped when they buy a new BMW.
Yeap and most the dealers are arseholes
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #204
philratton
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brazil
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Yeap and most the dealers are arseholes
Please guys, here in Brazil I paid about 22k usd for my f800.
With only abs and TC, no ESA or any farkles. And this is because the bike is now assembled here. Before that it was about 32k usd.
Come to brasil, the country of the rich!
As you see on TV!

philratton screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 05:25 PM
philratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #205
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer
 
rmhrc628's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The high country VIC
Oddometer: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by philratton View Post
Please guys, here in Brazil I paid about 22k usd for my f800.
With only abs and TC, no ESA or any farkles. And this is because the bike is now assembled here. Before that it was about 32k usd.
Come to brasil, the country of the rich!
As you see on TV!
What the 800 is made in brazil?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #206
philratton
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brazil
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
What the 800 is made in brazil?
Sad huh?
The 800 I don't know but the politicians are full of shit, that's for sure!
It's not BMW's fault, the taxes are too fucking high for what we get in return.
We are the second country in the world in paying taxes but are still a third world country with all the problems you can't even imagine.
Go figure!
philratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #207
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM
 
ararat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: East of Melbourne Arse-trail-yeah
Oddometer: 1,906
Can someone elaborate on this strange data?


Fuel consumption at 55 mph
BMW F 800 GS Adventure - 55mpg
BMW F 800 GS - 62mpg

Will make the 8 extra liters go really fast.
__________________
"Ask nasty questions!" gerard t'hooft
ararat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #208
DS Rider
Adventurer
 
DS Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: South Oz
Oddometer: 70
wouldnt surprise me to find thats:
A: larger windscreen and massive wind catching radiator area
B: Knobby tyres as standard (at least here in aus, dunno about OS)
C: extra weight
DS Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #209
philratton
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brazil
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Rider View Post
wouldnt surprise me to find thats:
A: larger windscreen and massive wind catching radiator area
B: Knobby tyres as standard (at least here in aus, dunno about OS)
C: extra weight
I think that's about right.
But the difference is still a good 80 miles.
That's a lot.
philratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #210
DS Rider
Adventurer
 
DS Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: South Oz
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by philratton View Post
But the difference is still a good 80 miles.
That's a lot.
sure is, and probably one reason why fuelly.com figures are real world compared to what the manufacturers suggest. Most peoples bikes are different to how they came off the showroom floor and most people dont ride like they run the tests at
DS Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014