User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #31
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,487
Very nice!

This shows how the variator should work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wKEri_SwjQ

It's a variable width pully, much like a snowmobile clutch, controlled by the lever with the notches. When working correctly, it is used to vary (Variator) the ground speed of the tractor in each gear.
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #32
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
185 Hydro

Just picked this up for $375.00 . Its in great shape and runs awesome.

">
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Thanks, that was the problem. Got it free and adjusted as per instructions on the web.

The variator is either on or off right?

All the way back it slows down, forward it is faster. The clicks in the handle don't seem to back any difference. It is either on or off. Is that right?
No, it should have 3 or 4 levels or speeds. Full back should be slower, full forward fast, with steps in between.

I forget which notch you set it in to adjust it, but 3 back seems right.

Once you get it right you can change ground speed without changing gears. It's nice when mowing, when you go from thick heavy grass to lighter grass.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #34
chacha OP
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
I brought it home yesterday. Apparently it was a good deal because there were lots of people wanting it. I was just lucky enough to email the owner first and he thought I should have dibs.

I'm happy with it. The variator is not working. Owner though that controlled the speed of the front PTO but I have come to find it is the speed of the tractor. I am going to take a look at it today.

I was looking at a new battery, belts and starter for my old Monkey Wards lawn tractor to get it working again. Much happier with this.

Nice. Looks like a brand new seat on that thing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm View Post
Just picked this up for $375.00 . Its in great shape and runs awesome.

">

The hydro took some getting use to on mine. The brakes will not stop my 318, they are more there to slow the wheels for tighter turns and for the parking brake. Trying to work the plow blade, steer and control speed some times becomes a juggling act.

Put my little mean green machine to work yesterday. We had 8 tons of rock delivered and used the plow to push it all into place. Learned I could use some more rear weight though.

Final shot. the panorama function stitched the picture together funny.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #35
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha View Post

Put my little mean green machine to work yesterday. We had 8 tons of rock delivered and used the plow to push it all into place. Learned I could use some more rear weight though.

Does your blade have Hydraulics? If so .

I had 6 tons of gravel for my driveway delivered this spring and I was surprised how well my little 110 did with it. There is a bit of a learning curve, it's not a D8, but it did pretty well for all manual and no extra weight.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #36
chacha OP
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
Does your blade have Hydraulics? If so .

I had 6 tons of gravel for my driveway delivered this spring and I was surprised how well my little 110 did with it. There is a bit of a learning curve, it's not a D8, but it did pretty well for all manual and no extra weight.
Oh yeah she does, 4 way hydraulics with float.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #37
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
"Weekend Freedom Machines"

There's a web site similart to this one called weekendfreedommachines (or there used to be anyway.)

I have two mid-60s JD 110 "Round Fender" tractors with mower decks, one snowplow AND a set of wheelweights on one. PO started restoring one of them and lost interest (His dad in Iowa passed away and let him a large collection of pre- 1955 IH and JD tractors - all restored). It supposedly runs but I have to put the tank (had it checked for leaks and sealed and powder coated) back on and put a new wiring harness in.

The other one has a broken rod - I got it for parts for the other one but it seems to be complete other than the rod. Thinking of putting it back together too.

Nice to see some other folks in the younger generation appreciation fine machinery! :)

J
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #38
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha View Post
Oh yeah she does, 4 way hydraulics with float.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
There's a web site similart to this one called weekendfreedommachines (or there used to be anyway.)

I have two mid-60s JD 110 "Round Fender" tractors with mower decks, one snowplow AND a set of wheelweights on one. PO started restoring one of them and lost interest (His dad in Iowa passed away and let him a large collection of pre- 1955 IH and JD tractors - all restored). It supposedly runs but I have to put the tank (had it checked for leaks and sealed and powder coated) back on and put a new wiring harness in.

The other one has a broken rod - I got it for parts for the other one but it seems to be complete other than the rod. Thinking of putting it back together too.

Nice to see some other folks in the younger generation appreciation fine machinery! :)

J
Weekend Freedom Machines is still around. (if we would read the whole thread we would know it's listed on the 1st and 2nd pages...so I'll link it here as well...)

I can usually find what I need with their search, so I don't post much there. Love the classifieds though.

mjydrafter screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 04:59 PM
Old 05-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #39
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Another option: 140

This is also a pretty popular model. Prices seem to go up, especially for accessories like the 3 point hitch.
Here's mine, a 1971 H3, (it has 3 hydraulic valves)

mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #40
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

^^^^Holy crap, that's a show tractor (I hope) not a worker.^^^^^
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #41
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
nice tractor ... but way over priced!
$1,650 and doesn't include plow ($750) or other attachments.

too many deals pop up on craigslist to consider spending that much $$$...

was an exceptional deal, but just scored an International harvester with 40hp diesel, excellent tires with front end loader, included bucket and brush hog for $850 ... starts right up, runs strong with no smoke... hydraulic rams leak, but that's $100 for parts fix.

needless to say that deal lasted all of 15 minutes ... lucked out by being first caller.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #42
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
^^^^Holy crap, that's a show tractor (I hope) not a worker.^^^^^
It is a worker, it has mowed my lawn for the last 5 years.
Caught on fire too! The float bowl bolt got loose and gas started dripping on the engine block. Oops.
But that'll buff right out

mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote