ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #35461
GClark
Adventurer
 
GClark's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: SL,UT
Oddometer: 20
Nice ride to Pemaquid today. I like rt 129 alittle more though, less people. Rt 32 right next to Pemaquid looked like a fun road too, but I ran out of time.

__________________
Ducati 695
GClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #35462
Tslapper
#!
 
Tslapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Mainely here
Oddometer: 6,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by GClark View Post
Nice ride to Pemaquid today. I like rt 129 alittle more though, less people. Rt 32 right next to Pemaquid looked like a fun road too, but I ran out of time.

Rt. 32 out of New Harbor/Chamberlain is a hoot and not in too bad shape on the southern end. One of my favorite afternoon runs.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #35463
BKMLWR
Wondering around...
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Carmel
Oddometer: 4,435
KLR back on the road yesterday...
dirt roads are nice for break in riding...

without riding a stock KLR then the 685+ kit to compare I can say there is some improvement, sounds better even in stock exhaust and runs smoother and definitey likes to get the throttle twisted.

ran 20 miles, changed oil then back out for another 50 last evening. A couple rainy rides to work this week and break in will be over and ready for a ride to Weld area this weekend

I call it the 685+ because I advanced the exhaust cam 1 tooth
The addition of the "thermo-bob" which is an automotive thermostat system keeps the temp steady all the time. Temp gage just left of center all the time, no more barely off of cold as usual way of running.
__________________
Sometimes I get off the bike before it has come to a complete stop....
Another Proud Small Scale Faker......
Praise You In This Storm
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #35464
Tslapper
#!
 
Tslapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Mainely here
Oddometer: 6,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
KLR back on the road yesterday...
dirt roads are nice for break in riding...

without riding a stock KLR then the 685+ kit to compare I can say there is some improvement, sounds better even in stock exhaust and runs smoother and definitey likes to get the throttle twisted.

ran 20 miles, changed oil then back out for another 50 last evening. A couple rainy rides to work this week and break in will be over and ready for a ride to Weld area this weekend

I call it the 685+ because I advanced the exhaust cam 1 tooth
The addition of the "thermo-bob" which is an automotive thermostat system keeps the temp steady all the time. Temp gage just left of center all the time, no more barely off of cold as usual way of running.
Sounds like you'll be enjoying many more years of service from your KLR.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #35465
Chris W
Beastly Adventurer
 
Chris W's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Mid-Coast, ME.
Oddometer: 1,022
The Scorpion had a hard weekend....



Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Chris W
IBA #393

"I know I'm getting tired when I start ducking for over passes..." ~ Ardys Kellerman
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #35466
Tslapper
#!
 
Tslapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Mainely here
Oddometer: 6,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
The Scorpion had a hard weekend....



Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
That tire looks like it had a lot of fun wore off it.

Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #35467
BKMLWR
Wondering around...
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Carmel
Oddometer: 4,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Sounds like you'll be enjoying many more years of service from your KLR.
I certainly hope so....

now to get the BMW back on the road..I suspect it will have a very noticable improvement..
and keep the road miles off the KLR tires....
__________________
Sometimes I get off the bike before it has come to a complete stop....
Another Proud Small Scale Faker......
Praise You In This Storm
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #35468
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
The Scorpion had a hard weekend....
Was that new before this ride? How many miles? I was looking at one of those to replace the XCMH on my WR before the RR.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #35469
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
KLR back on the road yesterday...
dirt roads are nice for break in riding...

without riding a stock KLR then the 685+ kit to compare I can say there is some improvement, sounds better even in stock exhaust and runs smoother and definitey likes to get the throttle twisted.

ran 20 miles, changed oil then back out for another 50 last evening. A couple rainy rides to work this week and break in will be over and ready for a ride to Weld area this weekend

I call it the 685+ because I advanced the exhaust cam 1 tooth
The addition of the "thermo-bob" which is an automotive thermostat system keeps the temp steady all the time. Temp gage just left of center all the time, no more barely off of cold as usual way of running.
I had to look up the exhaust cam timing mod. Interesting stuff. I'll have to try that the next time I check the valves, thanks for the tip.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #35470
BKMLWR
Wondering around...
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Carmel
Oddometer: 4,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I had to look up the exhaust cam timing mod. Interesting stuff. I'll have to try that the next time I check the valves, thanks for the tip.
have a new gasket for the chain tensioner ready, you will have to remove the tensioner to move the sprocket.

next event might be a 45T rear sprocket...(virtually same ratio as 14t front but wears better...)
__________________
Sometimes I get off the bike before it has come to a complete stop....
Another Proud Small Scale Faker......
Praise You In This Storm
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #35471
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
have a new gasket for the chain tensioner ready, you will have to remove the tensioner to move the sprocket.

next event might be a 45T rear sprocket...(virtually same ratio as 14t front but wears better...)
I've been using 16-43 the last 10k miles. I swapped the front back to a 15t in preparation for the RR (I'm loaning it to a friend to use). It feels like a rocket now! I don't like the revs on the highway, though. I'll go back to the 16t if the KLR comes back in one piece.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #35472
Chris W
Beastly Adventurer
 
Chris W's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Mid-Coast, ME.
Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Was that new before this ride? How many miles? I was looking at one of those to replace the XCMH on my WR before the RR.
1,200 miles. The first 500 were run at really low pressure, like 18 - 20.

I bumped it up to 32 for the 700 or so this weekend. They're great off road, but I was always pushing them beyond there limits on the tar.

I gotta think they would hold up better on something smaller than the 640 especially if you were nursing them to the start of the RR.

But I don't really know I guess.
__________________
Chris W
IBA #393

"I know I'm getting tired when I start ducking for over passes..." ~ Ardys Kellerman
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #35473
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
KLR back on the road yesterday...
dirt roads are nice for break in riding...

without riding a stock KLR then the 685+ kit to compare I can say there is some improvement, sounds better even in stock exhaust and runs smoother and definitey likes to get the throttle twisted.

ran 20 miles, changed oil then back out for another 50 last evening. A couple rainy rides to work this week and break in will be over and ready for a ride to Weld area this weekend

I call it the 685+ because I advanced the exhaust cam 1 tooth
The addition of the "thermo-bob" which is an automotive thermostat system keeps the temp steady all the time. Temp gage just left of center all the time, no more barely off of cold as usual way of running.

Excellent news Dave, while I am no longer in the KLR owners camp I will always have a soft spot and interest in them. Can't wait to here what you think of the upgrades once the break in is done
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #35474
BKMLWR
Wondering around...
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Carmel
Oddometer: 4,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Excellent news Dave, while I am no longer in the KLR owners camp I will always have a soft spot and interest in them. Can't wait to here what you think of the upgrades once the break in is done
break in will be done today...

I would really need to ride a stock KLR then get on this one to see the real difference but in the acceleration part of the breakin 70mph is coming up much faster and smoother....

the best part is after 180 miles, the oil level is still full.....mission accomplished

did I mention smooth.....rode at steady throttle this evening for a little ways....this engine is incredibly smooth, possibly the best part of this project other than no apparent oil burning....
__________________
Sometimes I get off the bike before it has come to a complete stop....
Another Proud Small Scale Faker......
Praise You In This Storm
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 05:43 PM
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #35475
mikewillsmith
Not the f'g fresh prince!
 
mikewillsmith's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: The real Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 1,827
*cough* page 2 *cough*
__________________
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way... turn.
mikewillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014