Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #211
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
The other thing that's not fully clear to me is which of the three products will be the most popular.

RB
Good question. A lot will depend on the combination of price and ease of installation. With that in mind, I'm betting #2 will be the big seller.

Regarding all of these options, do you these as mods that would be used in addition to the 'air intake temp' mods, or instead of. I had been thinking that they would be used in addition to ('air intake temps' mods impacting open loop performance, and 'O2 sensor' mods impacting closed loop performance) but this post has me questioning that assumption.

Quote:
Inside the intake air box is an ideal spot. A hole and some silicone seal would work well. If you like the gains you get with an "air" device you'd like this more: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887052

This well known guy who I helped did: http://guzzitech.dk/category/bmwf800s/
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #212
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
Good question. A lot will depend on the combination of price and ease of installation. With that in mind, I'm betting #2 will be the big seller.

Regarding all of these options, do you these as mods that would be used in addition to the 'air intake temp' mods, or instead of. I had been thinking that they would be used in addition to ('air intake temps' mods impacting open loop performance, and 'O2 sensor' mods impacting closed loop performance) but this post has me questioning that assumption.
Although an LC-1 or one of the other solutions could be used on its own, I think that a BoosterPlug and LC-1, etc. are better as a pair.

Through the process of Adaptation Values, the BMS-K will learn how much fuel it needs to add to reach the new, richer Closed Loop target. It will then apply that to Open Loop fueling. But that takes time, maybe several tanks of gas.

However, if you have a BoosterPlug installed, it already has a 6% headstart on the Adaptation process because every value in the BMS-K fuel table is made 6% richer. So for example if you were running gasoline without ethanol, and a lambda setting of 0.94 and had a BoosterPlug, you would start out with a 6% richer system. Then the adaptation process of the BMS-K is just fine tuning.

Does that make sense or was I completely confusing?
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #213
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Does that make sense or was I completely confusing?
Yep. Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #214
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Solution #2, the fixed Wideband is back from beta testing on an r1150. I could set it up for an f800. It would require removing the old sensor and screwing in the new one. Also plugging and unplugging the O2 connector. Finally, it needs a ground lug attached.

Is there anyone with a stock f800gs that's running well who would like to beta test the unit?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #215
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Solution #2, the fixed Wideband is back from beta testing on an r1150. I could set it up for an f800. It would require removing the old sensor and screwing in the new one. Also plugging and unplugging the O2 connector. Finally, it needs a ground lug attached.

Is there anyone with a stock f800gs that's running well who would like to beta test the unit?
PM sent.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #216
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
PM sent.
Got your PM, thanks. Anyone else also interested, let me know.
RB
Old 05-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #217
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,689
I may be interested in testing it, but it would be in July for me. I'm swamped right now through the end of June. I have a booster plug installed in the air box if that matters.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #218
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. July should work if we're not already in production by then. You're on the list. RB
Old 05-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #219
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
I'm totally down to be a beta as well! Bike is in great shape with around 10,000 miles. I've done Megasquirt kits on a few VWs a few years ago, so I'm not a totally newb when it comes to FI. Good luck with the project!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #220
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
I'm totally down to be a beta as well! Bike is in great shape with around 10,000 miles. I've done Megasquirt kits on a few VWs a few years ago, so I'm not a totally newb when it comes to FI. Good luck with the project!
I've looked at the megasquirt stuff dozens of times but never thought I had the depth needed to install and tune one of them.

The game plan at the moment is to get a supply of r1100, 1150 and 1200 OEM connectors so that they are plug n play. At this point the family of products have been on enough different bike that we know the concept is very sound.

I'll post when an f800 beta is ready to go.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #221
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

I wanted to update the thread with a status report. The narrowband-shifting device manufacturer continues to make progress. Below is a photo of the device, with a generic connector to which a model-specific (R1100, R1150, R1200, F800) cable harness with OEM connectors gets attached. The installation procedure will be: plug in the OEM connectors (and connect a ground wire in some cases).

Inside the "black box" is a small data acquistion and digital processor that intercepts the stock signal and sends a modified version to the Motronic.

There should be a production version with a small first run in about a month. This probably seems like a slow process but the manufacturer is handling this in a professional manner which takes time.

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 01:07 PM
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #222
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

I wanted to update the thread with a status report. The narrowband-shifting device manufacturer continues to make progress. Below is a photo of the device, with a generic connector to which a model-specific (R1100, R1150, R1200, F800) cable harness with OEM connectors gets attached. The installation procedure will be: plug in the OEM connectors (and connect a ground wire in some cases).

Inside the "black box" is a small data acquistion and digital processor that intercepts the stock signal and sends a modified version to the Motronic.

There should be a production version with a small first run in about a month. This probably seems like a slow process but the manufacturer is handling this in a professional manner which takes time.

The gating item for the F800 will be the OEM connectors. There will probably be a couple F800 betas sometime in the next month.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #223
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
I've looked at the megasquirt stuff dozens of times but never thought I had the depth needed to install and tune one of them.

The game plan at the moment is to get a supply of r1100, 1150 and 1200 OEM connectors so that they are plug n play. At this point the family of products have been on enough different bike that we know the concept is very sound.

I'll post when an f800 beta is ready to go.
Its pretty simple these days. Their technology has come a long way in terms of being user friendly. When I did my first one, they didn't even have a real spark control. I think it was version 1 back then and you had to build the board. That was crazy, it took weeks just to get the thing to crank. But now, I would just go with the Microsquirt. Its perfect for motorcycles and comes pre assembled. Most people get their projects to start and idle first or second try. On an already fuel injected bike, (ie: F800GS ), its a really simple project (in terms of the FI). Mostly just data logging really. The CANBUS is the real sticking point. Once my warranty is up, I'll be putting a LOT of thought towards nutting up and installing it on my GS. I'm going to warm up this winter by doing MS on the gfs bike.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #224
ToPointsUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
drool
ToPointsUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #225
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid