Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
firebug24k OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Attempted murder charges filed...

http://www.10news.com/news/2-injured...cycle-05192013

This is incredible. I know these things happen out there, but this just scares the crap out of me.

For those that don't know, the Coronado Bay Bridge is a very tall bridge connecting San Diego with Coronado "island". It's a few hundred feet high and pretty long (maybe half a mile?), with concrete barriers in the middle and on the sides, and usually a lot of traffic (especially at 5PM). So the normal techniques of just plain avoiding bad drivers are a lot harder to execute (but of course not impossible) in a situation like this where you're quite restricted in where you can go to get away.

I live about 5 minutes away from there, so this is right in my backyard. Scary.
firebug24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,947
Dang.

Quote:
10News tried to speak with the woman moments after the driver was arrested.

When asked about her side of the story, the woman said, "Honestly, I have pneumonia. I have no idea what's going on."

The woman told 10News she was not sure what happened. When asked about what she saw, she said, "I didn't see anything. I was on my phone."
Doh.

In my younger days I was a bit more assertive/aggressive, but no more. Against a car, a motorbike brings nothing to the picnic.

--Bill
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,864
Nice work by the copper!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
psychopompos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Think of all the times when shit like this happens and there isn't a an off-duty cop there to witness it...

On the bright side, this quote is pure gold: When asked about her side of the story, the woman said, "Honestly, I have pneumonia. I have no idea what's going on."
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,850
Quote:
"Honestly, I have pneumonia. I have no idea what's going on."
Further proof that starting a sentence with "Honestly," means "I'm about to say some lying shit."
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
mneblett
Professional Lurker

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
On the bright side, this quote is pure gold: When asked about her side of the story, the woman said, "Honestly, I have pneumonia. I have no idea what's going on."
Followed by something like "I was on my phone, I didn't see what was happening."

My question is why didn't the reporter respond with: "Do you really think anyone is going to believe you were in a road-rage incident that stretched over a mile with verbal exchanges, wild lane changes and a collision, and you don't know what happened??"
mneblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Riding up 5 over the cause way the other day on the BMW and I was thinking..."That rail sure is awfully low.", those two are lucky to be alive.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Further proof that starting a sentence with "Honestly," means "I'm about to say some lying shit."
Probably... Or, and this is really scary, she sat through the whole incident and really didn't see or understand anything. She sure doesn't sound like someone who's suffering from pneumonia, pretty hale and hearty with a clear voice. Probably just covering for her husband/boyfriend and his maniacal driving. How cool is it that this asshole was caught??? I wonder what his sorry road-raging ass felt when he looked into the barrel of a gun in the hand of an apparent OTHER road-rager before he realized he was a policeman? I hope that gave him pause, maybe scared him shitless. And bravo to the prosecutor for filing attempted murder charges! Damn right...

I am happy the rider and his passenger weren't killed, and thrilled that the jerkoff car driver was caught. I completely agree with the poster above who said you can't win against a car. I watch like a hawk for erratic behavior and just try to stay out of it's way.

Doug
Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
A woman and a little boy were also inside the car.
Great way to raise a child.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 304
Mental note. Buy GoPro/Contour and record every commute.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
D R
----

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by red450 View Post
Mental note. Buy GoPro/Contour and record every commute.
While in principle this sounds like a good idea be careful what you ask for. If you produce as evidence a segment of video which shows one particular traffic incident, be prepared for every second of every video you have ever recorded while riding your motorcycle to be subpoenaed and scrutinized for any and all traffic infractions you may have made.

If you're going to record your commutes as a means of legal protection/evidence, be certain you stick rigidly to ALL traffic laws, to include the speed limit.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
While in principle this sounds like a good idea be careful what you ask for. If you produce as evidence a segment of video which shows one particular traffic incident, be prepared for every second of every video you have ever recorded while riding your motorcycle to be subpoenaed and scrutinized for any and all traffic infractions you may have made.

If you're going to record your commutes as a means of legal protection/evidence, be certain you stick rigidly to ALL traffic laws, to include the speed limit.
just delete the videos after each non-eventful commute.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post

Most people who record their commutes for this purpose delete each day where nothing significant happens.

It's what I would do...what's the point of having thousands of hours of video lying around that is all boring commuting?

That said, if something noteworthy DID happen in a video, you had better hope you weren't being an ass 15 minutes prior doing something stupid because it will look really suspicious if you edit the video to only include the part you need

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,479
talk about lucky that off duty cop was there ... otherwise that road rage driver would probably gotten away with attempted murder.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
firebug24k OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Here's the bridge - I agree they're lucky they didn't get knocked over the side. It's not a real high rail.

firebug24k is offline   Reply With Quote