Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #1936
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
JD as my thoughts are going to dual discs for pad life and road performance
does it look like using a left leg on the right of the drz setup would be a go.
thanks again for this thread and the info it contains freely and clearly shared.
in the context of the way i use the bike, i don't view the double rotor as necessary, or even desirable. i'm using the 310mm DL/SV rotor, braided brake line, and OEM ER6 caliper with OEM pads. the bike stops fine with that combo, with the next upgrade being after market pads, and beyond that, a 4 pot caliper, another easy swap. i have a 4 pot caliper ready to go, but have not bothered yet. coincidentally, i just checked the front pads for wear last week, and they still looked ok after 30,000 miles. i guess i don't use the brakes much...yikes.

the bike stops well on pavement, but i use controlled two finger braking on gravel all day without concern of locking up the front. factor in other issues like unsprung weight, and additional parts and brake lines subject to damage when that moto is ridden on rough "roads", or inadvertently parked upside down...i'll stay with what i have, at least until i find a good reason to make a change.

since you would be starting from scratch, you could go large rotor, braided line, 4 pot with upgraded pads. the caliper adapter is easy to fabricate either way.

changing out the right DRZ fork leg has been discussed, but no one has said they actually did it. we'll need a report/photos if you make the swap.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #1937
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i'd laugh at the stupid stuff men do if there wasn't so much pain and money involved...sometimes risk too.
Sometimes laughter is the only thing keeping me say. I'ffen I live as long as you I will have plenty of stories to tell.

Quote:
i see those weather fronts coming through out there. Red River flooding again, Missouri high.
Yep, the last few fronts have had lots of moisture. Pretty good odds Fargo will flood again. Missouri will get high, not excessive flooding.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #1938
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I'ffen I live as long as you I will have plenty of stories to tell.
damn, y'all have a long way to go.

i could write a book about spending my entire adult life training grown men not to do downright stupid stuff. at least i brought 'em all home, and i'm kinda proud of that.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #1939
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

That is something to be proud of.

David
Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #1940
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,337
JD, I'm nearing completeion (except for paint) and had planned to leave the muffler stock. I just read the stamping on thye muffler & there is no mention of a spark arrestor. With the cat intact, I feel it's safe, but I don't believe it'll be legal on the trails. I have been checked a couple of times on my KTM.
Thoughts/ideas?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #1941
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
JD, I'm nearing completeion (except for paint) and had planned to leave the muffler stock. I just read the stamping on thye muffler & there is no mention of a spark arrestor. With the cat intact, I feel it's safe, but I don't believe it'll be legal on the trails. I have been checked a couple of times on my KTM.
Thoughts/ideas?
question has been asked, and the answer was that with the OEM muffler in undamaged and unmolested condition, it satisfies that requirement. i say "unmolested" because these mufflers have been split, decatted, and welded back together.

i happen to like the OEM setup, even though heavy. it's quiet, robust, and tucked away under the bike so that the panniers can be fitted tight to the bike with less chance of major damage if ya flop that poor moto.

these bikes weigh 400, and if your experience is like mine, your added ground clearance with the big suspension tends to keep the muffler away from hazards on road conditions where you could expect to run a 400 pounder. the V649 has been in some nasty stuff over the last 30K, and the last time i looked, nary a scratch.

plenty of water crossings, no problems, and i also like the fact that i can throw a floor jack under the thing and lift the bike if necessary.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #1942
4play
Next?

Thanks!
I was hoping to hear the stock system was legal. I agree with all of the attributes you mentioned for the stock system. I don't care for the weight, but it's carried so low I doubt anyone would notice the difference. One gallon less fuel in the tank would be about the same weight difference & carried much higher...
Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #1943
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i also like the fact that i can throw a floor jack under the thing and lift the bike if necessary.
Really? Is this due to your modifications or is the stock Ninja muffler just that strongly attached?
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #1944
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Really? Is this due to your modifications or is the stock Ninja muffler just that strongly attached?
my header and muffler are both OEM and use the stock mounting points.

the ER6/Versys mufflers are strongly built by design and fabrication, so lifting with a floor jack causes no harm, although i place a block of wood between the muffler and lift pad on the jack.

i've changed rear tires many times while traveling by lifting the moto this way, either balancing the bike on the jack, or dropping the bike onto conventional automotive jack stands via the paddock stand bobbins. the bike could be lifted with any style of jack, but floor jacks are seemingly found everywhere. for a traveling moto, those bobbins are an important accessory, and also work with my shop built adjustable trail jack.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #1945
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

here's a pretty cool deal that recently came up...

i've been "commissioned" to deliver the bike in the photo, together with all the gear, to Anchorage. an inmate here had a big trip scheduled, work got in the way (seems to happen alot), and rather than miss the entire trip, decided to have me run his bike up to Alaska. he'll fly in later, pick it up, and continue on his route.

seems logical...i know these bikes front to back and don't even need a map to get there.

fly-ride-fly, a first for me. i feel that ol' rock-n-roll fever comin' on.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #1946
4play
Next?

Yeah, but no cop motor
Old 05-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #1947
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Yeah, but no cop motor
i'll make do, it's only 4000 miles of mountains and north country, i think i can stand it for that long.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #1948
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Sounds like a nice trip. Have fun. You coming through this area?

David
Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #1949
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Sounds like a nice trip. Have fun. You coming through this area?

David
a little west of you. PM sent.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #1950
fasteddiecopeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Dave - glad you posted that pic. I'll try to "keep an eye out for you" in Dawson.
fasteddiecopeman is offline   Reply With Quote