User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #23866
Dirtwoman
Plexus Princess

Oddometer: 221
This past weekend in the mountains

Our Chief aka as Kevin did a WONDERFUL job cooking for all of us Floribama Riders shin dig that we had in Suches, GA Saturday night. Eventhough his help BAILED on him, he still managed to feed all of us with the best food you will ever have in the mountains!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1072124...FBRSpringRally

Doug and I rode street bikes this past weekend with my friends/riders I haven't seen in a looong time, too long! Friday, was a few hundred mile ride in North Carolina lead by an 80 year old that will leave you in the dust on street and dirt! I hope to ride like that when I grow up, lol. Plus I caught up with a couple of fast girls that I haven't seen in a long time too. Saturday we took it a little easier and road locally in north georgia. Went to three sisters winery... I am not a wine drinker, but YUM YUM! We managed to miss the rain, so still good riding for us on Saturday. Then the shin dig put the icing on the cake!

It always has amazed me how it can be foggy and crappy looking in one place and sunny and beautiful just down the road in the mountains. Finally for ONCE riding in the mountains, I didnt have to endure pouring rain while riding!

AND ALL YOU SUCKERS THAT BAILED OUT....... WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??? time is priceless! good times are limited! And to get good company there all at one time is down in the books without you!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #23867
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,815
Last of the cool weekends

Glad you guys had fun. Great time to be in the mountains.

Gonna be hot hot hot from now on.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #23868
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,202
Laugh Great time in the Smokey Mountains

Morris has been after me for many years to squeeze in a week to go riding with him at his cabin in Morganton, Georgia. At long last time and work allows me to take advantage of his generosity.
Brad, Melvin and Roy join in and we leave early the monday after Mothers day.

He has a beautiful 3 story cabin near the top of a mountain.

Also a two car garage with loft.

We arrive in time for a little afternoon ride near the Toccoa River.

Morris plan was for us to gather enough supplies for two nights away from the cabin. Roughly the route would appear on a map as a triangle first heading toward the northeast into North Carolina then east into Tennessee then back southeast into Georgia to his cabin by way of forest service roads with as little pavement as possible.
I didn’t sleep very well Monday night thinking about the days to come.
Don't think any of us did.
Tuesday morning, the temperature is in the high 30’s.
The sun is shining,,,,,the birds are singing and we’re riding our scooters in a beautiful place.

At one place, we're stopped for a few seconds where the forest service is cutting down trees that have been killed by some kind of beatle. They were felling the trees toward the road so they could be recovered easier.

About then, Brad notices that his luggage pack is coming apart at the base and we apply some ties to keep it together.
Not a problem.

Too bad I don't have a Go Pro camera. Making photos of the challenging places is entirely impossible with my setup simply because you have to keep moving until your out of such places to regroup, laugh and re-hash the blow by blows of the section you just went through.
That's when I can snap a picture.

At one pee stop, we spot a bee hive hanging high in a tree. Guess is was to protect it from the bears and other varmints.

Sure could have asked Spertz a bunch of questions about the plant life along the way. Spotted hundreds of these mushrooms in one location and wondered if it was those expensive Morrels I’ve heard about:

One section near Franklin had a Forest Service study place that measured stream flow with a series of Weirs. I thought that was cool because in my line of work we run into that kind of thing. (measuring/controlling flow, temperature,pressure.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weir

A little video of us crossing one of many steams.

Sometimes we'd hit clouds of little bugs and I snapped a shot of Morris’ useless headlight with baked-on bug goo.
Melvin commented about a recent world news report regarding the use of bugs as a human food source.
I cracked up when he said that perhaps “General Bug” with red sauce would be available at the Chinese buffet one day.

Next morning, we’re up and at it doing a bit of bike prep. Roy is knocking off a few pounds of mud off his DRZ.

Morris’s route would take us deep into the forest with no signs of anybody anywhere. At just one of these places I spotted this bunch of freshly picked flowers just laying right where we had stopped.

Brad had the only flat of the trip and was lucky not to crash because of it. Only took a little while to fix and we’re off again.

Morris studying his maps.

Gosh, this is taking too long……………………

That night we make it to Andrews, North Carolina. Grab some pizza at a sports bar and talk about the ride so far and how much fun its been. Next morning, we continue west through the forest towards Tellico Plains and head south from there. More pictures:

Ever dream of owning a place in the mountains with a waterfall and a lake? Here you go:

This was probably the most challenging day. Morris' route took us to just before the entrance to the Cheraholla Skyway road. Just past where the Last Chance Gas Station is,,,we turn left and begin a climb up a torn up mountain road.
Then it got bad and soon got worse.
At the top, Melvin and Roy were estatic!

I guess I was smiling too because Morris asked what I thought of it too and I said I hated a challenge.

He told me from the look of my expression that I was lying.

Brad was bringing up the rear and when he arrived on top of the mountain, he asked me for my pistol......
I asked him what for,,,,,,,, and he told me so he could shoot himself.
Seriously though, everybody stayed together and looked after one another.

This is where I spotted this little fella with its butt sticking out of the ground:

I touched it with a swig and his stinger came stickin out. It couldn’t back up out of the hole and it couldn’t go in deeper for some reason. I guess its wings acted like a barb and prevented the backing up part so I dug him out and he flew away. It was a big wasp of some kind after whatever was in the hole.

Saw this nice piece of stump up there too. Wish I could have brought it home:

This is where it got real hard. Only picture I got is this one exiting the closed gate at the Cherahola road. We picked our bikes up over those boulders and around the side of the gate.
No gate going in.
Gate coming out.
It was a pitiful trap.

Roy showed us how to do it the easy way.

Roy is in his mid 60's and what a talented enthusiastic rider he is! I'll be 60 years old in a few months and get increased mental strength and inspiration hanging with Roy, Brad and Melvin.
A joy to be around these fine men!

We pass Bald River Falls on the way to Tellico Plains:

A couple hours later, we make it to Tellico Plains and eat at the Bakery. A great place and I’ve been there before and know what to order. The Pecan Chicken salad on sourdough bread.

I gobble down my sandwich and go across the street to the Tellico Outfitter shop to check out the neat stuff there. In the meantime, Melvin and Roy are finishing up and about to make their way over when a fella rolls up to the Bakery on a big Harley Trike with a electric wheelchair on the back. This fella hasn’t any legs and appears to struggle a bit to get situated from the trike to the electric wheelchair. Melvin needs to be telling you this story,,,,,,,anyway, Melvin ask the fella can he lend him a hand and the fella replies “No,,,but I sure could use a couple legs” and everyone bust out laughing.

On we go. Butterflies are everywhere up here this week.

We smush dozens.

And Morris captures one on his helmet.

Saw plenty of wildlife of all kinds. Some encounters I remember worth mentioning was a hawk flying by me holding a squirrel he had just captured. Morris showed us a mother bear with her cub climbing a tree.

We were getting close to the end of the ride the last day and following Roy, I noticed only one bolt was holding his tag on. A couple beeps of my horn and we were stopped figuring out the quickest way to make a temporary fix to get home. I offered up a long tie strap and before you know it we’re off again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,down some really rough stuff.

At the end, I look to see how well the strap did and it was gone and spotted it in his spokes along with his left blinker. Cord in one hand, the blinker in the other. Sorry about that Roy!

My thanks to Morris for his excellent efforts. Will never ever forget this week till the day I leave this earth.

We're all very fortunate to have so many quality friends to ride with and I'm forever grateful for you all.

Madhouse screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 04:00 PM
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #23869
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,979
first to quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Morris has been after me for many years to squeeze in a week to go riding with him at his cabin in Morganton, Georgia. At long last time and work allows me to take advantage of his generosity.
Brad, Melvin and Roy join in and we leave early the monday after Mothers day.

He has a beautiful 3 story cabin near the top of a mountain.

Also a two car garage with loft.

We arrive in time for a little afternoon ride near the Toccoa River.

Morris plan was for us to gather enough supplies for two nights away from the cabin. Roughly the route would appear on a map as a triangle first heading toward the northeast into North Carolina then east into Tennessee then back southeast into Georgia to his cabin by way of forest service roads with as little pavement as possible.
I didn’t sleep very well Monday night thinking about the days to come.
Don't think any of us did.
Tuesday morning, the temperature is in the high 30’s.
The sun is shining,,,,,the birds are singing and we’re riding our scooters in a beautiful place.

At one place, we're stopped for a few seconds where the forest service is cutting down trees that have been killed by some kind of beatle. They were felling the trees toward the road so they could be recovered easier.

About then, Brad notices that his luggage pack is coming apart at the base and we apply some ties to keep it together.
Not a problem.

Too bad I don't have a Go Pro camera. Making photos of the challenging places is entirely impossible with my setup simply because you have to keep moving until your out of such places to regroup, laugh and re-hash the blow by blows of the section you just went through.
That's when I can snap a picture.

At one pee stop, we spot a bee hive hanging high in a tree. Guess is was to protect it from the bears and other varmints.

Sure could have asked Spertz a bunch of questions about the plant life along the way. Spotted hundreds of these mushrooms in one location and wondered if it was those expensive Morrels I’ve heard about:

One section near Franklin had a Forest Service study place that measured stream flow with a series of Weirs. I thought that was cool because in my line of work we run into that kind of thing. (measuring/controlling flow, temperature,pressure.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weir

A little video of us crossing one of many steams.

Sometimes we'd hit clouds of little bugs and I snapped a shot of Morris’ useless headlight with baked-on bug goo.
Melvin commented about a recent world news report regarding the use of bugs as a human food source.
I cracked up when he said that perhaps “General Bug” with red sauce would be available at the Chinese buffet one day.

Next morning, we’re up and at it doing a bit of bike prep. Roy is knocking off a few pounds of mud off his DRZ.

Morris’s route would take us deep into the forest with no signs of anybody anywhere. At just one of these places I spotted this bunch of freshly picked flowers just laying right where we had stopped.

Brad had the only flat of the trip and was lucky not to crash because of it. Only took a little while to fix and we’re off again.

Morris studying his maps.

Gosh, this is taking too long……………………

That night we make it to Andrews, North Carolina. Grab some pizza at a sports bar and talk about the ride so far and how much fun its been. Next morning, we continue west through the forest towards Tellico Plains and head south from there. More pictures:

Ever dream of owning a place in the mountains with a waterfall and a lake? Here you go:

This was probably the most challenging day. Morris' route took us to just before the entrance to the Cheraholla Skyway road. Just past where the Last Chance Gas Station is,,,we turn left and begin a climb up a torn up mountain road.
Then it got bad and soon got worse.
At the top, Melvin and Roy were estatic!

I guess I was smiling too because Morris asked what I thought of it too and I said I hated a challenge.

He told me from the look of my expression that I was lying.

Brad was bringing up the rear and when he arrived on top of the mountain, he asked me for my pistol......
I asked him what for,,,,,,,, and he told me so he could shoot himself.
Seriously though, everybody stayed together and looked after one another.

This is where I spotted this little fella with its butt sticking out of the ground:

I touched it with a swig and his stinger came stickin out. It couldn’t back up out of the hole and it couldn’t go in deeper for some reason. I guess its wings acted like a barb and prevented the backing up part so I dug him out and he flew away. It was a big wasp of some kind after whatever was in the hole.

Saw this nice piece of stump up there too. Wish I could have brought it home:

This is where it got real hard. Only picture I got is this one exiting the closed gate at the Cherahola road. We picked our bikes up over those boulders and around the side of the gate.
No gate going in.
Gate coming out.
It was a pitiful trap.

Roy showed us how to do it the easy way.

Roy is in his mid 60's and what a talented enthusiastic rider he is! I'll be 60 years old in a few months and get increased mental strength and inspiration hanging with Roy, Brad and Melvin.
A joy to be around these fine men!

We pass Bald River Falls on the way to Tellico Plains:

A couple hours later, we make it to Tellico Plains and eat at the Bakery. A great place and I’ve been there before and know what to order. The Pecan Chicken salad on sourdough bread.

I gobble down my sandwich and go across the street to the Tellico Outfitter shop to check out the neat stuff there. In the meantime, Melvin and Roy are finishing up and about to make their way over when a fella rolls up to the Bakery on a big Harley Trike with a electric wheelchair on the back. This fella hasn’t any legs and appears to struggle a bit to get situated from the trike to the electric wheelchair. Melvin needs to be telling you this story,,,,,,,anyway, Melvin ask the fella can he lend him a hand and the fella replies “No,,,but I sure could use a couple legs” and everyone bust out laughing.

On we go. Butterflies are everywhere up here this week.

We smush dozens.

And Morris captures one on his helmet.

Saw plenty of wildlife of all kinds. Some encounters I remember worth mentioning was a hawk flying by me holding a squirrel he had just captured. Morris showed us a mother bear with her cub climbing a tree.

We were getting close to the end of the ride the last day and following Roy, I noticed only one bolt was holding his tag on. A couple beeps of my horn and we were stopped figuring out the quickest way to make a temporary fix to get home. I offered up a long tie strap and before you know it we’re off again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,down some really rough stuff.

At the end, I look to see how well the strap did and it was gone and spotted it in his spokes along with his left blinker. Cord in one hand, the blinker in the other. Sorry about that Roy!

My thanks to Morris for his excellent efforts. Will never ever forget this week till the day I leave this earth.

We're all very fortunate to have so many quality friends to ride with and I'm forever grateful for you all.

Hate to add this last paragraph but it recently seems necessary:
I like to share pictures/comments with you all and know this is a long report so please show some consideration to others that frequent this thread by not quoting this over and over and over again.

Lets just get on to the next subject of posting riding oppurtunities and reports/pictures by others.
Back me up here Vic if you will please.
They might listen to you.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #23870
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,896
Great Ride Report

I will never be able to see the Pickens Nose sign again without thinking of Barney and I arriving there last fall on our trek! And of course the photo of him ......

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #23871
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,855
T. Great ride report, and beautiful pics! Livin the life Sir. One day I'll get to actually put some miles on again. Life happens.

Hatch,
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #23872
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post

Hatch,

Swallowed that hook!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #23873
waysherr
Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer: 445
My scroll wheel is hot Thanx Hatch
Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #23874
Dirtwoman
Plexus Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Glad you guys had fun. Great time to be in the mountains.

Gonna be hot hot hot from now on.
You are right about that... I left the mountains with warm clothes on and had to peel them off the closer we got to home and it was HOT in my house!!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #23875
Dirtwoman
Plexus Princess

Hatch

I heard you and Dan walker placed....CONGRATS!

Now humor me.... did you do it on that "girl's bike"??
Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #23876
Dirtwoman
Plexus Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by waysherr View Post
My scroll wheel is hot Thanx Hatch
Wayne, what you and hatch do on your own time is your business... TMI
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #23877
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,979
ahh im sure weldin man waysherr is used to hot buttons..

and yes, the lil old wore out girls bike rode row 01 all the way to 2nd place in B200

aaaand needs a suspension rebuild.. there's more fork oil on the forks than in them..
Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #23878
waysherr
Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer: 445
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
im sure weldin man waysherr is used to hot buttons..

Seasoned pro
Old 05-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #23879
DevilManCalling
Thumper Pumper

Oddometer: 14
Puke Looking for people to rip shit up with

I'm looking for some solid dudes to do some fast trail riding with around Eglin. I've been riding in Blackwater by myself (which is unwise), but I would be thrilled to join a group of fellow orange monsters for some offroad adventure time. Let me know what's happening!
DevilManCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #23880
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilManCalling View Post
I'm looking for some solid dudes to do some fast trail riding with around Eglin. I've been riding in Blackwater by myself (which is unwise), but I would be thrilled to join a group of fellow orange monsters for some offroad adventure time. Let me know what's happening!
Careful what ye ask for

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote