Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
pnw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
WABDR zip files

I downloaded the WABDR tracks from the Backcountry Discovery Routes web site into my PC. They are in zip files that Windows 7 can't seen to open and I wasn't able to find a way of loading them into BaseCamp. I ended up with some malware/fraudware while trying to find a program that would open the zip files assuming the files have to be opened to install into the BaseCamp program. A search on this site and a general Google Search hasn't gotten my anywhere. There must be something simple that I am missing since I couldn't find others who have posted on the same problem.

This is for a Garmin Oregon with the 100K topo maps. I might spring for the 24k maps, has anyone who that has done the WABDR or similar used the 100K maps?

Thanks for any help.
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Not sure why you would be having a problem, I just went to the site and;

1) Selected the download and "open" from the windows 7 pop-up and it showed 2 each .gbd files and a .gpx both of which are BaseCamp compatible.

2) Selected the download and "save" from the windows 7 pop-up and a zip folder is saved to my PC. A simple double left click opens the folder and again the same files show.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Have you had a problem with any other zip files? Which version of Win 7? The Starter version is crippled in some ways, not sure if unzipping is one of the things that are crippled.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
pnw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the help. I'm sure just stupid things I'm doing or not doing but I cant seem to get the WABDR tracks into My Collection where I suppose it goes, either zipped or unzipped. I did order the topo 24k dvd so hopefully we will just be able to use the Oregon to be more certain of location rather than using the tracks. It is a nice GPS and I used it hiking in the Columbia Gorge and on a 50+ mile bicycle ride last weekend. Hopefully the 24K topo map will have much better trail and forest service road coverage than the 100K.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
pnw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got it to work, for some reason the file wouldn't unzip clicking on it but using extract it opened in a new file which worked for basecamp. I think I'm going to have a beer

Thanks