Looks good Dutch!!!!!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #6722
jdwxly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Any pics of the Shinko 705's mounted? They look like it would give the KLR an almost Super-Motard look.
I'll try to get a shot of my 705 front later this week. I can vouch for the street performance of it, though. Just did a high speed braking clinic last week. On somewhat damp pavement we were stopping HARD from 70 mph and it never chirped or slipped. I was surprised by how well the bike stopped and how well the tire worked.
jdwxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #6723
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
You mean like this? Though thats a pirelli on the front. Spooned on a Shinko 120/17 shortly thereafter. Rear is a 150/17.

What tank bag is that and are those throw over Ortleibs? So how does it rife after putting the 17 on the front? I wonder what the benefit is in running the smaller front wheel.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #6724
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Decided to repaint the already spray bombed plastics. Went with a darker tan instead of the usual green. It just seems to fit the bike IMHO. Just as I was putting it all back together the mail man showed up with my DirtRacks Pannier mounts so I installed them and then got to work putting the mounting bits onto some over sized ammo cans I had left over from my old YJ buggy I had long since parted ways with. I also did the "Wheat-Whacker" mod to the front fairing and will see later on how much of a difference that makes in the wind department. Eventually I want to get a different fairing entirely so this is just a cheap and simple experiment.

that tan is sharp on the gen. 1

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #6725
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,234
I like the tan. Still kicking around doing mine. I even bought the paint last winter but wasn't allowed to spray paint in the living room. Darn women just don't understand. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #6726
_ransom_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Decided to repaint the already spray bombed plastics. Went with a darker tan instead of the usual green. It just seems to fit the bike IMHO. Just as I was putting it all back together the mail man showed up with my DirtRacks Pannier mounts so I installed them and then got to work putting the mounting bits onto some over sized ammo cans I had left over from my old YJ buggy I had long since parted ways with. I also did the "Wheat-Whacker" mod to the front fairing and will see later on how much of a difference that makes in the wind department. Eventually I want to get a different fairing entirely so this is just a cheap and simple experiment.
The tan looks really good.
_ransom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #6727
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Thanks guys. It's Rustoleum Dark Almond Satin if you want to emulate it. I was going to do green but when I was looking at paints the tan just clicked for me.

The wheat whacker mod definitely made a difference. I know have to keep the visor slightly cracked to keep it from fogging in the cold morning air. The air goes just over the top of the helmet. I'm 5'9" and I wound up with just over a 1.75" gap at the rear of the cuts. I think I'll try to make a small dash now across the fairing to mount a clock and thermometer to.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #6728
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
What tank bag is that and are those throw over Ortleibs? So how does it rife after putting the 17 on the front? I wonder what the benefit is in running the smaller front wheel.
Yes, bags are Ortlieb's and tank bag is an RKA http://www.rka-luggage.com/ Both of which I purchased in mid/late 90's and both have been to hell and back a few times. Perfect for an old ugly KLR!

Steering is quicker as the front tire is smaller as well as having a taller 150 rear. Pretty easy to scrap pegs but if you get too aggressive the frame just twists up...typical of early 80's frame designs.

This KLR was simply a project bike and no intentions of keeping it. Turns out I like the stupid thing...
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #6729
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
I also did the "Wheat-Whacker" mod to the front fairing and will see later on how much of a difference that makes in the wind department.

Nice paint job! Looks very sleek!

Can you take a shot or two of the front fender mod please and thank you!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #6730
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
My 88 was the lighter tan color. I like your color combo better. Like the xj too.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #6731
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

I ordered a 16tooth drive gear that I'll hopefully be able to get on this weekend. What kind of rpm should I be expecting at 75?

Anybody running a 685 kit? I'm wondering if the 685 kit plus K&N filter, exhaust, and proper tuning will allow the bike to pull as well or better with the 16 tooth gear as it does stock. Or if you could even go up to a 17 (or the 16 and then lose 2 teeth on the rear) without it being slower than stock.

My Offroad use is dirt county roads so I'm more concerned with on road and highway Performance. I don't want it to be any slower accelerating than stock either though. I'm not looking to make it faster, just drop rpm at 75 w/o losing the acceleration it does have.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #6732
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
I ordered a 16tooth drive gear that I'll hopefully be able to get on this weekend. What kind of rpm should I be expecting at 75?

Anybody running a 685 kit? I'm wondering if the 685 kit plus K&N filter, exhaust, and proper tuning will allow the bike to pull as well or better with the 16 tooth gear as it does stock. Or if you could even go up to a 17 (or the 16 and then lose 2 teeth on the rear) without it being slower than stock.

My Offroad use is dirt county roads so I'm more concerned with on road and highway Performance. I don't want it to be any slower accelerating than stock either though. I'm not looking to make it faster, just drop rpm at 75 w/o losing the acceleration it does have.
Depending upon the tires (indicated speed off the front and rpm off the back), expect about a 250 rpm drop with the 16 tooth. Apart from the intial takeoff, you will not have any issues an dit takes the buzz out of cruising.

Forget the K&N filter and exhaust - the 685 will pull better than and with stock parts.

Cary suggested stock jetting with the 685 too - he was correct. I tried the KLx needle, drilled slide and jets. All it did was use more gas. I reverted back to stock settings. I have 40K miles on the 685 with 16t - very happy.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #6733
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Depending upon the tires (indicated speed off the front and rpm off the back), expect about a 250 rpm drop with the 16 tooth. Apart from the intial takeoff, you will not have any issues an dit takes the buzz out of cruising.

Forget the K&N filter and exhaust - the 685 will pull better than and with stock parts.

Cary suggested stock jetting with the 685 too - he was correct. I tried the KLx needle, drilled slide and jets. All it did was use more gas. I reverted back to stock settings. I have 40K miles on the 685 with 16t - very happy.
Cool man, thanks. Part of my reason for wanting a different exhaust is to lose the chirping/squeaking mine makes. Like I said, I'm not trying to make this thing a hot-rod. Its a "slow" bike and that's fine, I just want to be able to hold higher speeds without feeling like the engine is going to come apart. I don't hit the interstate much, but the main highway going into town is still 65mph posted and if you're not doing 75 you're liable to get ran off the road.
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #6734
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Part of my reason for wanting a different exhaust is to lose the chirping/squeaking mine makes.
Google "detweet klr650" and you will find it's super easy to fix the noise.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #6735
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Farkels

A real KLR Adventurer.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote