User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
pjtiii OP
bigger playground

Oddometer: 14
noob needs help on buying decision

Hi - hope i can get some collective wisdom to get through my buying decision. I rode a 350xl for many years and loved the off road time, but it sucked on the highway - now, I have finally gotten back to wanting a bike after many years on four wheels and the f800gs seems to be perfect.

I am looking at a few used options and maybe new. Here are my chices

2013 new $x
2013 used (<1000 miles) $x -$1800
2012 new $x + 300 - but includes vario cases hand gards and skid plate
2011 used (<1000 miles) $x - 2200 and includes vario cases hand gard, skid plate and GPS

2013 - new and local but $$$
2013 - used - practially new for less long (5hr) dive to go get it - still need to buy cases etc.
2012 - less than new (if accessories are factored in) but not cheap and last years model better color than the 2013 blue better ABS and throttel response than 2011 (so I read on some of these threads)?
2011 - orange has all options I want and GPS least expenseive but less warranty and maybe some bugs that were worked out in 2012 and 2013 models?

Thanks for any input - hope to be again riding soon.
pjtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtiii View Post
Hi - hope i can get some collective wisdom to get through my buying decision. I rode a 350xl for many years and loved the off road time, but it sucked on the highway - now, I have finally gotten back to wanting a bike after many years on four wheels and the f800gs seems to be perfect.

I am looking at a few used options and maybe new. Here are my chices

2013 new $x
2013 used (<1000 miles) $x -$1800
2012 new $x + 300 - but includes vario cases hand gards and skid plate
2011 used (<1000 miles) $x - 2200 and includes vario cases hand gard, skid plate and GPS

2013 - new and local but $$$
2013 - used - practially new for less long (5hr) dive to go get it - still need to buy cases etc.
2012 - less than new (if accessories are factored in) but not cheap and last years model better color than the 2013 blue better ABS and throttel response than 2011 (so I read on some of these threads)?
2011 - orange has all options I want and GPS least expenseive but less warranty and maybe some bugs that were worked out in 2012 and 2013 models?

Thanks for any input - hope to be again riding soon.
Buying new is always poor financial sense. We do it for the illogical reason that it's quite satisfying to own a bike from new, benefit from its warranty, supervise every ride, every bit of maintenance, and every accessory installation. For a bike you plan to keep for years, it's not too hard to ignore the financial logic and buy new.

That said, buying a brand new bike that is a superseded model is the height of idiocy unless you're going to get a SUBSTANTIAL discount. As in, for the same price as a used bike. If you can negotiate this, then it combines the advantages of a new buy with the financial logic of a used buy.

Buying a good-condition used bike is usually the best decision, from a purely financial perspective, provided you can satisfy yourself as to its mechanical condition. It's an even easier decision if you plan to sell or trade the bike within 3-5 years, as you'll have avoided the steepest part of the depreciation curve but still have a bike with some value when you want to move on.

Since choosing between these options involves as much emotion as it does logic, you're really on your own here.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
pjtiii OP
bigger playground

Thanks for the input I agree about buying new mostly left the 2013 in for comparison, I wasn't sure about the 2012 - if the price was a 'good enough' discount.

If I narrow it down to the two used bikes one a 2013 and the other a 2011 both for about the same price but the 2011 includes the extras - is the 2013 a better bike? Is the extra warranty worth the "goodies"? Can I find the extras used and get the newer bike?

Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Thanks for the input I agree about buying new mostly left the 2013 in for comparison, I wasn't sure about the 2012 - if the price was a 'good enough' discount.

If I narrow it down to the two used bikes one a 2013 and the other a 2011 both for about the same price but the 2011 includes the extras - is the 2013 a better bike? Is the extra warranty worth the "goodies"? Can I find the extras used and get the newer bike?

Thoughts?
My thoughts - and experience, selling my bikes over the years - is that extras already fitted to a bike are worth almost nothing. They might make you, as a buyer, choose one particular 2011 over another, but they don't add much to the value. A committed seller will restore the bike to stock and part out its accessories, which will get him more money.

Especially since, unless you're very lucky, the previous owner will have fitted things that you might have done differently. And you have no idea how well they were fitted, if any original parts were removed and are now missing, etc.

I'd go for the newer bike. The warranty is irreplaceable. You can add your own accessories over time. You could even offer the 2011 guy "I don't want your bike, but I'll buy your (insert accessory here)".

YMMV.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
E=MC squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post

Since choosing between these options involves as much emotion as it does logic, you're really on your own here.
I applaud Raider on including the "E" word in the purchase equation.

What was missing for me in your purchase decision equation is insight into what will make you happy. Are you one who will feel best if you make the most logical decision - or are you one who already has a strong feeling for one bike over the others - but you don't want to admit to yourself that it is the most irrational option?...

I think there is value in buying the bike you really want - so out of the options, is there one you are really drawn to more than the others? Maybe it is the color, the seller, the location of the dealer....To me, you have already made the major decisions and that is: #1 To ride again and #2 an F800GS...IMO, the next decision is as much personal as practical and I say if there is one you like more than the others, get that one and then ride.........unless of course, you have a habit of buyers remorse after large purchases.....if that is the case, disregard my post and follow the logic of other posts.

DISCLAIMER: I love my 6 month old Kalamata 2013 F800GS and the dealer I got it from is treating me great!
Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,422
I agree 95% with raider, excellent comments.

You didn't mention how you were going to pay for it. Usually last years model will get a much better interest rate and if you know which BMW accessories you want, throw that in as well. Then factor the cost saved on interest, assuming you want new which Raider has spoken wisely on.

In my experience in Canada, accessories are left on the traded in bikes unless they're unsafe or fugly. If you have decided on Varios anyway, then you will save by already getting them.

Here's our story:

Bought her 658 brand new. She loved and adored it and I maintained it like it was the Queen's ride. Rode it all over Canada without a scratch. Then she hit a car and it was gone. Insurance didn't care it looked like new, it wasn't. She was upset with the settlement on the bike. I found a used bike (private) at a fantastic winter price, called the Dealer and they said it was a great bike, always serviced there and was up to date. The Dealer knew it wouldn't be back since I maintain ours. She now loves the new red colour and and since she's the 4th owner, rides it more off road and doesn't care if it gets scratched. It was fully loaded with accessories so we sold what we didn't want and the bike became even cheaper making it a fantastic deal. No warranty on it but doesn't need it. In short, a better bike.

See old one here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818123 That bike is in China now.

Bought my 800 as a total smash and dent from BMW Canada. A Press bike well tested. This one:

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2009/12...f800gs-part-1/

Got it less than half price with 10K kms on it. Fixed it up and farkled with used parts at half or less. Been awesome with no issues and at 50K kms now.

There's nothing wrong with used bikes if you know the history. If you have lots of cash, go new. The money we saved went for gas which is the best way to spend it on a bike!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
pjtiii OP
bigger playground

Sounds to me like I have a tough decision ahead. I like the idea of the newer bike, but the 2011 has the vario cases that I would want and I might not be as afraid to scratch it. I may try to get the new bike and then ask the other guy if he will sell me the cases - I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks again for your input - i'll try not to rope you into my own mental gymnastics any further.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #8
Wise Guy
Soitenly!

Oddometer: 76
Keep us posted on what you end up with...

Sounds like you're a logical thinking, left brainer, who makes well-researched, methodical decisions - . It's actually possible that we were twins separated at birth

I'm just back riding after 25 yr hiatus. Would have chosen the F800gs as my steed were it not for my 29" inseam and lack of confidence Went with the stock height F650gs instead.

Wrestled with all the same questions you're looking at (price, 2013 vs older, colors I didn't like, warranty length, etc.)

Someone mentioned 'buyer's remorse'. Not an issue for guys like us. We think our decisions through too well for that, thank you. You'll do well with any of these you've listed.

Personally, I liked the 2013, but found a deal on a used 2012 with <400 miles on it for $3,000 less than MSRP. Grabbed a rental car for a one-way trip of 250 miles or so, and drove her home the same day

My suggestions:
You've already talked yourself out of the 2011 model year and the Lava orange. I never understood that color either, and I too, leaned away from 2011 and older. Cut them from your list.

Now you're down to only 2012 & 2013.

Mods are easy enough to add/swap, but you're not wrong to factor them in - as they can really begin to add up Just ask my bank account

Of the remaining, logically-chosen group, allow the right side of your brain to think, er, I mean, FEEL, like it has a voice in this decision, and pick the one that feels right.

Then don't look back, and enjoy the ride!

Wise Guy screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 04:55 AM
Wise Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
Wise Guy
Soitenly!

And to further narrow your list...

Upon further examination...Why pay the extra money for a NEW 2013, when you've found two low-mileage specimens within striking distance? I'd let the other guys absorb that depreciation!

So if you cross off the two new 2013's, you'd be down to just 4 choices:

1) 2013 used (<1000 miles) $x -$1800
2) 2012 new $x + 300 - but includes vario cases hand gards and skid plate
3) 2013 - used - practially new for less long (5hr) dive to go get it - still need to buy cases etc.
4) 2012 - less than new (if accessories are factored in) but not cheap and last years model better color than the 2013 blue better ABS and throttel response than 2011 (so I read on some of these threads)?

From there, I might cross off the 2012 with the Vario cases - provided you have the cash for your own mods. Looks like it's $2,100 more than the used 2013, correct? I'd rather get the 2013 (one year newer for resale value, upgraded features for 2013, and $2,100 in my pocket to put toward mods). And speaking of mods, if you thought the bike analysis was fun, wait until you start comparing mods (4mm or 4.75mm skid plate? Black or silver? Cat coverage, or not? Side coverage, or just bottom?)...and on it goes

But they all come with BMW's 36 month, transferrable warranty, right? So even the 2012's will still have a decent amount of time under warranty to work out any kinks.

You're gonna love whichever one you get. Don't forget to report back when the deal is done!!

Wise Guy screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 04:41 AM
Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
pjtiii OP
bigger playground

ADVNoobie - scary how much it sounds like we think alike - you are correct about the buyers remorse - none ever - look at the decision from every angle up front then pull the trigger with no regrets. The heavy lifting on this decision has been done Bike and F800gs. Now just the details. Looks like I'll have to wait until next weekend to get the bike unless a local dealer gets back to me with an offer I can't refuse. I'll update with a proud daddy pick when the deal is done.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
Wise Guy
Soitenly!

I think you'll be pleased with any of the bikes on your list. Heck, you might even grow to love that crazy Lava Orange one! And if not, I think I saw an inmate on this forum hoping to swap out his body parts for Lava Orange parts (well, not HIS body parts...that would be weird. Even by this forum's standards)

And I saw another who wrapped his parts in black vinyl (man, that sentence conjures up an image that I wish I hadn't thought of)

I'm lovin' the F650GS. Great all-around bike. Mod by mod, I'm resolving all my minor complaints (e.g., snatchy throttle, ergos that need tweaking, skinny grips, lack of skid plate, poor wind protection, etc.). If I really love her, and decide to keep her, I may consider upgrading suspension. But I think the F8GS enjoys better suspenders than its smaller sibling anyway, right? Of course, "better" is a relative term - all depends on how "off-road" you wanna go.

Fun times ahead!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
pjtiii OP
bigger playground

I am the proud new owner of a "used" 2013 with 500 miles on it wahoo!!! Now just need to register and get insurance :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Cool2 Congrats!!!

Congrats ...Photos pleaze.
Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #14
pjtiii OP
bigger playground

Lets hope this works... Nothing fancy just a basic f8
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Lets hope this works... Nothing fancy just a basic f8
Wait... is that a scratch on the side? Maybe you should have gone new... j/k

You basically have wound up with the best of all possible worlds! You have a current model year bike which has very little miles. This gives you an up to date suspension, computer, equipment, etc. Plus you get to enjoy that first break-in period and you got a hefty discount out of it!

Ideally (for anyone following the thread) the best is to let someone else eat the initial dealer cost quickly followed by a dealer who needs to make room for the new and up coming models (2014's). Everything else then just depends on how much money you have floating around (money no issue, get the newest, money an issue, go for the private party models with a credit union loan to finance)
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote