Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #3166
990west
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Lycan, just wanted to say thanks for the gps tracks you posted. It's great to have some ideas as I am new to the dual sport bike though I have spent a fair bit of time at Waiparous and Maclean in the past with my 300EXC. I rode your Calgary to 532 - The Hump loop today and enjoyed it a lot. I don't have a proper gps unit yet but found a decent app for the iphone that can import gps tracks and it worked pretty well. Now to see if I can embed a couple pictures.

I shrunk these as I'm not too sure on convention?

990west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #3167
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Sweet spot off Hw 520 in the forest reserve. This is all open riding. Talked to some campers and they report great riding off Trout Creek Road. It's far from Calgary but worth a trip back for sure.

where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #3168
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
Thanks Lycan.
Internet or is there a good place in town?
I usually order online as you should replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time. If I was only replacing a chain I might bite the bullet and pay Calgary prices but usually I order everything.

http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/...-gs-08-12.html

You are on an 800 right?

I have ordered a few kits from these guys and the last one I ordered was about $40 to ship it here. I think just a good chain around Calgary is about $150 so I can get everything shipped to my door for just under $200.

Another option is;
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/ek-5...led-chain.html

I have ordered many tires here. Prices are good and you get free shipping over $100. You will have to search and see if they have the right sprockets for your bike though.
Cheers
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #3169
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,855
Ride South!

Couple of us S10 guys rode down the 940 south to Coleman today. Rode Sartoris RD east and then Snake Tr north to Skyline Tr to 520 east and zig zagged north on Meridian Rd to High River and back to Calgary on the east side of #2. All gravel roads in fantastic condition and perfect weather conditions (maybe a little wind) but absolutely no dust. 650km. What a day!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #3170
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Lycan1

Judging by your pics, you seem to hit all the good spots too. I'm sure we'll bump into you eventually.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #3171
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
What?!

No Starshmucks?

I don't even have the XRR on the road yet. Still need to get registration and a new plate. I'm also wanting to lube the bearings at some point soon.

I do have 11 days on my dirt bike either bush or track this year. Having way too much fun on it at the moment waiting for passes to melt.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 07:42 PM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #3172
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
A couple of years ago there was a great green lane south of 242 ave. south of the Red Deer Lake Processing place. It was a lot of fun, but people (and I use the term loosely) were using it to party, leaving broken glass, make-shift fire pits, and other garbage along the lane. I once saw a old dryer and other household garbage dumped not far up the lane, disgusting! Well the land owners, rightly so, were pissed off at these slobs, and put up fences with locked gates. Thanks to the AssHoles, the responsible riders who just like a little exploring (leaving nothing but tracks) can't ride these anymore.

If I ever see someone dumping garbage or having a drinking party on a country lane, I'll take your plate and your picture and give it to the cops. Not that anyone on this site will be on the receiving end, but I hope you will do the same and get those kind of scum what they deserve. Unless you like seeing these.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

Other than that irritation it was a good day's riding.

Isn't that a road allowance? If it is, it's a public roadway that doesn't have a road on it yet and no private land owner has the right to block it off. I agree with you on the pigs that leave a mess for everyone else to deal with though.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #3173
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Lycan 1

Maybe if we slow down you will catch up. Did a lot of that route last week!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #3174
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Looks like a nice ride Lycan. Sorry more of us couldn't make it.

Cheers
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #3175
jorich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Well there should be lots of weekends to come. I want to do an over-nighter to the Hinton area in June, and one to the Trout Creek area in the Porcupine Hills, to do a little exploring. Maybe more of the group can make those.
I would love to join in on a couple overnight rides like those... if I'm not imposing I move back and forth from Alberta and Vancouver every 2 years. Last time I was living out here I was based in Strathmore and got to ride with a few people from Calgary. It would be great to get out with a group again.

'10 KTM 690R:)
jorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #3176
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I second that. Would love to do some overnight trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post
I would love to join in on a couple overnight rides like those... if I'm not imposing I move back and forth from Alberta and Vancouver every 2 years. Last time I was living out here I was based in Strathmore and got to ride with a few people from Calgary. It would be great to get out with a group again.
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #3177
jorich
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
I second that. Would love to do some overnight trips.
Quote:
No problem at all, when the ride is scheduled I'll post up, and send you a PM. I imagine a ride north of Calgary would work better for a regular weekend, and south for a long weekend, considering your location. Looks like you have a great bike for dual-sporting.
If we're not careful this could get carried away and end up becoming a plan...

Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #3178
Kinger7
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Just found this

Hey guys,

Just came across this thread. I would be interested in finding out about some rides or trails in and around the Calgary area.

New to dual sporting (just picked up my bike this year). I have been riding different bike for awhile now, just thought I would give the dual sport a shot as they've always intrigued me.

I'll keep checking in for updates.
Kinger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #3179
jorich
Adventurer

Quote:
Well this weekend looks bad, weather-wise, but the following Weekend (June 8th and 9th) might work. Any preference as to what direction (Hinton / Mountain Park area or Porcupine Hills)? There are lots of opportunities for commando camping, either way.
That weekend I am riding (bicycle) in the Johnson MS Bike Tour Fund Raiser, it's a 2 day ride... But the weekend after I am up for an overnighter.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #3180
Kinger7
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Well this weekend looks bad, weather-wise, but the following Weekend (June 8th and 9th) might work. Any preference as to what direction (Hinton / Mountain Park area or Porcupine Hills)? There are lots of opportunities for commando camping, either way.

That sounds like a good trip, the only problem is this is weekend off then back to work the following week. Tough luck for me. I'll stay tuned for some upcoming rides.
Kinger7 is offline   Reply With Quote