Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #46
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Wow, thanks for bringing this post back to life! I would love to continue the thread, and finish the story.

I just pinged Aivars to post something, he is Latvian!
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '04 VW Phaeton, '94 Suburban, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '95 Range Rover Classic, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #47
Fezzy
Back Road Warrior

Oddometer: 3
Man I'd love to do something like this. Looks like you guys are having tonnes of fun! Anybody know how tough it is to get a bike plated/insured in Vietnam? That's really the only hiccup I can think of at the moment. I'd love to hear more of your adventure. Cheers!
Fezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #48
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Alright I found your thread about rebuilding your Minsk now I'm reading this one,you go mate enjoying this immensely.
gunnabuild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #49
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
along for the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1 View Post
Alright I found your thread about rebuilding your Minsk now I'm reading this one,you go mate enjoying this immensely.
And so did I!
Especially the part at the Dog Café. One 's gotta love the picture of the two ladies in fine dresses.
So whenever you feel like taletelling again: continue your story, you have an audience, sir.

By the way. At the start of the thread many pics of scooters, and then you buy... Minsks. Was this planned before? If not, how did you come about to make this purchase?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #50
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
And so did I!
Especially the part at the Dog Café. One 's gotta love the picture of the two ladies in fine dresses.
So whenever you feel like taletelling again: continue your story, you have an audience, sir.

By the way. At the start of the thread many pics of scooters, and then you buy... Minsks. Was this planned before? If not, how did you come about to make this purchase?
Nothing was planned, as this seems to be the best way to ensure total catastrophe/awesomeness.

We actually rented scooters for an afternoon to fart around Hanoi. It was fun, but we went with the Minsks for three reasons: They were faster (unbelievably), had much more suspension travel, and, most importantly, they were the only thing we could afford to buy. The scooters were rental only, and that would have caused problems at the border crossings.

I remember at some point during the trip thinking "wow I am so glad we are not on scooters" because the Minsks handled big bumps and dirt and hills way better than the scooters ever could.

I also remember thinking "wow what a dumb-ass idea it was to take Minsks out into the wilderness, what the hell is wrong with me? Why are we not on scooters ohhhhhh jesus we are going to die out here"
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '04 VW Phaeton, '94 Suburban, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '95 Range Rover Classic, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #51
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5 View Post
Nothing was planned, as this seems to be the best way to ensure total catastrophe/awesomeness.

I read you.
It's how we got into this world, so why not wriggle our way through in a similar fashion?

The Minsk keeps me mystified. Is it its temperament? It bucked you off in a corner, then started up first kick? Is it because it's a misfit? see the awkward stands and other traits. Because it lures one into the big questions: why, what, when, where, who, how?

Would be nice to read more stories from the ride.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #52
bulty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
waiting for update