Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #16
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduronoob View Post
greetings first post here...have a philosophical question...
why would a company like ktm make a bike with forks that dont work well?
so many test hours and engineers with race xp just didnt see what you guys all complain about?
how many bikes did u had that where perfect suspensionwise off the showroom floor? These forks work well for moderate use and the moderate user. Ppl that like to push it a bit harder hit the ceiling on the std setup. Just like anyone that rides a R1 hard, same thing applies. Those breaks and forks are even worse looking at what the bike expresses -> go fast and push limits.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #17
enduronoob
n00b

Oddometer: 4
sound reasonable never thought of it that way...maybe my skills are not pushing the bikes limit then. however i think that the stock setup is very good for riding fast on poor quality tarmac. all these bikes with tight suspension i follow sometimes brake and reduce their lean as soon i they see holes and dirt on the road and i just fly past them
enduronoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 569
Lol, yes. The 990 stock suspension will handle anything tarmac.
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #19
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Re Valve?

I have had many modern KTMs and Japaese dirt and street bikes with highly adjustable suspension; and many older less/non adjustable going back to old Triumphs, Huslys, Bultacos--you name it.

IMHO, many guys don't use all the options available to them before spending the big $ on re valving. I would suggest 3 steps:

1) Get the right springs for your weight and set ride height/sag
2) Be sure seals and oil are fresh
3) FULLY experiment with the full range of adjustments available to you--all 40+ settings on compression and rebound

After going through all of that, you may still find that the stock components don't work for you. Then go with the revalve.

A lot of guys won't/wouldn't do the work to jet a carbureated bike properly. They want someone to give them THE hot jetting setup on a silver platter. Same thing with suspension. As an admitted tinkererer, I see a lot of enjoyment being missed by just sending $ and getting the T shirt/sticker to show how savvy you are. I do get the fact that many "just want to ride".

FWIW and down off the soapbox
Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
turdfergeson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
how many bikes did u had that where perfect suspensionwise off the showroom floor? These forks work well for moderate use and the moderate user. Ppl that like to push it a bit harder hit the ceiling on the std setup. Just like anyone that rides a R1 hard, same thing applies. Those breaks and forks are even worse looking at what the bike expresses -> go fast and push limits.
Just 1, the Y2K Honda CR250.
I read through this thread researching fork adjustment for the 990 Baja and I'd put myself in the "push it bit harder" category. (insert "that's what she said" joke) but there was a post earlier about how bad the bike likes to dive.(feels like I'm about to endo in a 3rd gear sand wash turn going from 3/4 throttle to 1/2) This bugs the shit out of me. I'm 185lbs, I ride hard in desert/Baja terrain but suspension is one area I've never had to work on and I'm curious to see if the stiffer springs are worth installing on a bike with 2200mi or if the stock forks can really be adjusted to help the front end diving. I've tested a few adjustments based on what the owners manual documents but I really didn't notice a difference. Suspension work for me is really the Final Frontier as far as DIY bike maintenance.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
wr37
Woods Racer

Oddometer: 69
Does Factory Connection work on 990 suspension? Might be a good excuse to ride to NH. No dear, I'm getting work done on the suspension, really! The New England Classic and Laconia bike week are coming up soon. Oh, wait...Whitehorse press is right there too......

wr37 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 11:09 AM
wr37 is offline   Reply With Quote