Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,154
5chord, Where do you ride that it is sx around here?
I am 53 and can def tell if I don't ride for awhile how hard it is to build your wind back up. I'm going to get one of these to see how I do?
pvangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
220-age=max HR is not always accurate. For instance that formula gives me a max of 180, yet a treadmill test gave me a max of 188.

What is true is that if you are exercising at the upper end of your HR you should consult with your doctor to make sure you don't have any conditions that would make the activity contraindicated.

Also, excessive time spent at the other reaches of your HR can cause bad thins to happen. Often there are effects felt from lactic acid build-up that help cue the exerciser to back off. You may not be getting those cues.

I'm guessing that if you looked back over your moto and correlated that to your HR you might note that your HR pegged out during a time when you really had to muscle the bike. If you can recall how you felt at that specific time you might be able to recognize those physical cues next time.

- Ken
Which is why I said approximately regarding the formula, and to go get an exam.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
5chord, Where do you ride that it is sx around here?
I am 53 and can def tell if I don't ride for awhile how hard it is to build your wind back up. I'm going to get one of these to see how I do?
I belong to 10th Street MX in Ronkonkoma. .81 mile track ...Here's a few laps from last summer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQrhWw8AZps $500 bucks a year for non-islanders, $1000 if you live on the island.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord View Post
Yeah according to that formula I'd be dead.....If you look at the activity (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/314110889) you can clearly see on the heart rate time line where each 5 lap moto begins and ends as well as the recovery period (which is almost non-existent before the last moto). I'm between 165-186 bpm the entire time I'm out there. The track I ride is supercorss-style so there are no times when you can relax at all except in the air. Before I used to ride until I got arm-pump but now I stick it out there for at least 5 laps regardless.
Last week I took a Cooper protocol maximal VO2 test on the treadmill. Basically you run as fast as you can for 12 minutes and your distance covered is used to measure your VO2 max. It's fairly reliable and the results are close enough to the tests where they hook you up to the respirator that you get an accurate idea of your fitness. During the test I reached a max HR of 188 (when two different formulas put me at 180). When I was 22 I did one of the fancy tests at the Olympic training center in Lake Placid and I had a max VO2 of 66 (which although great was not elite caliber). I'm 41 now and my max is down to 54 so I know my anabolic threshold is lower as well (that the point that your cardio vascular system can no longer keep up with the lactic acid building up in your muscles). Looking at your numbers leads me to believe that you're in very good cardiovascular condition for your age. I say that because you we're working for prolonged periods above what is no doubt your anabolic threshold and you indicated that you didn't suffer too much for it. I'm on an iPhone right now so I didn't compare laps or motos, but I'm guessing you we're fairly consistent on your times? How much did you get slower from moto to moto?

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Which is why I said approximately regarding the formula, and to go get an exam.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were full of poop.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Last week I took a Cooper protocol maximal VO2 test on the treadmill. Basically you run as fast as you can for 12 minutes and your distance covered is used to measure your VO2 max. It's fairly reliable and the results are close enough to the tests where they hook you up to the respirator that you get an accurate idea of your fitness. During the test I reached a max HR of 188 (when two different formulas put me at 180). When I was 22 I did one of the fancy tests at the Olympic training center in Lake Placid and I had a max VO2 of 66 (which although great was not elite caliber). I'm 41 now and my max is down to 54 so I know my anabolic threshold is lower as well (that the point that your cardio vascular system can no longer keep up with the lactic acid building up in your muscles). Looking at your numbers leads me to believe that you're in very good cardiovascular condition for your age. I say that because you we're working for prolonged periods above what is no doubt your anabolic threshold and you indicated that you didn't suffer too much for it. I'm on an iPhone right now so I didn't compare laps or motos, but I'm guessing you we're fairly consistent on your times? How much did you get slower from moto to moto?

- Ken
Thanks Ken,
My lap times are VERY consistent(ly slow) within 2 seconds....I totally hit a plateau but It's all for fun:-D Maybe a lesson and a doctor visit in my future!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 990
You might have a checkup or stress test just to be safe. Heart rates can vary but that seems pretty high for your age. Could be fine and just you though. I am 56 and have been running regulary since 1979. My resting heart rate is high 50s or low 60s. Doing intervals or all out uphill efforts I top out in the high 150s which is normal for my age. 7:30-8:00 min/mile training pace usually has me in the 130s. Your resting heart rate of 68 is not too bad. Maybe you just have a great motor!!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote