User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
GordyMN OP
b00n-E

Oddometer: 240
Question G650GS VS F650/700 for the wife

My wife isn't thrilled with her factory low 09' 650. Looking at swapping it for a new model. She was loving the updates to the G650 and would get the leg room she needs and style she wants. (really needs? ;) )
On the other hand, after riding my 800GS she is in love with the engine, but also doesn't like the snatchy throttle. I'm afraid the twin may become too much when the going gets a little rough, she doesn't seem concerned and is a fairly experienced rider.

Can any of you who have or had both please chime in with the differences in handling in terms of weight on/off road and if the trade-off with the twins weight (not much difference) is worth the smoother engine for a lady rider ? Perhaps a comparison of suspension as well.

Our typical rides involve pavement to find dirt roads and see where it takes us. Some mild trail riding, not single track but more like logging roads and multi-use ATV/OHM type trails.

Thanks in advance !
GordyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyMN View Post
My wife isn't thrilled with her factory low 09' 650. Looking at swapping it for a new model. She was loving the updates to the G650 and would get the leg room she needs and style she wants. (really needs? ;) )
On the other hand, after riding my 800GS she is in love with the engine, but also doesn't like the snatchy throttle. I'm afraid the twin may become too much when the going gets a little rough, she doesn't seem concerned and is a fairly experienced rider.

Can any of you who have or had both please chime in with the differences in handling in terms of weight on/off road and if the trade-off with the twins weight (not much difference) is worth the smoother engine for a lady rider ? Perhaps a comparison of suspension as well.

Our typical rides involve pavement to find dirt roads and see where it takes us. Some mild trail riding, not single track but more like logging roads and multi-use ATV/OHM type trails.

Thanks in advance !

I had the old G650GS (with the old design of the F650) and loved it and had no problem with the suspension. However since I do alot of paved road I dislike having a thumper for 300kms of straight road. Was boring fuzzy and too light. I liked it offroad but had no prior experience in that aera with another bike. Then I got the 800GS and have all the positives from the 650GS engine in better. Fuel economy is great and you have more than enough torque for offroad. I never looked back. But have to say that I dislike the forks and the suspension (and the seat ;) on the 800GS and needed to change them.
If it helps: I took my driving licence on the 658GS and after tasting the twin went to the thumper. It didn't shock me and I never felt the need for more. Now however I wouldn't trade the 800GS for the world. It's the right bike for my size and for what I do.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
GordyMN OP
b00n-E

Thank you Loutre - Yes the 800 is smooth, but I think the extra weight, longer wheel base and extra cost of the 658 will help me convince her to stay on the 650 Single. ;) I also don't really care for the cast wheels, and the 650 we're looking at has the laced rims option which is a bonus !

She's about 5'-5" and is tip toe on my -50mm 800.
I plan on replacing the Hyper Pro's back to stock height HD Hyper Pro so I doubt she'll ever get to ride my bike again !
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
My wife is the same height as yours. She is totally in love with her g650. She couldn't deal with the weight and height of my f8 on gravel roads or single track. We bought her a standard height gs and had the seat cut down 3/4 of an inch and a gel pad installed. Cured her lack of confidence when she puts her foot down on rough terrain. Also loves the gel insert.
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #5
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
If you are mechanically inclined at all, I would never even consider a F650/G650 single, they are underpowered and overweight pigs. If you want that engine with low seat height and a lot less weight get your wife an G650X-Country with some mods.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
If you are mechanically inclined at all, I would never even consider a F650/G650 single, they are underpowered and overweight pigs. If you want that engine with low seat height and a lot less weight get your wife an G650X-Country with some mods.
What do you think about the Husky Strada/Terra? It's about 22kg lighter, has 10hp more and still 55mpg

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #7
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Also a better choice than the G650. The overhauled 650 single in the Huskies is now definitely nicer than the X-Country, but unfortunately both bikes weigh quite a bit more.

Will come down to whether she feels more comfortable with the lighter weight off road, or with more and smoother power on road.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
GordyMN OP
b00n-E

Thanks for the input guys - yes we did look at the terra as well and it's just too tall for her and provides zero wind protection. I think it is a way cool bike, but for the type of mixed riding we do it just doesn't fit without significant mods and she's just not up for that sort of experimentation.

Yes I'm mechanically inclined Lucas, I happen to do mechanical design for a living. Being the age we are and having the experiences we already have we know everything doesn't have to be perfect to have a great time, so obsessing about every nuance of a machine just isn't my thing at this time. BTDT Well, that isn't exactly true, I obsess about *my* machines constantly ...I just don't have the capacity to obsess for two people right now and my wife handles herself and her obsessions pretty well on her own ! That being said, yes the G650 isn't an Xchallenge or a heavily modded KLR (it's smoother than that !) or terra or a sweet 640 adventure but there really isn't anything else to compare to at this time and that is really too bad. (Hello ? Yamaha? 660 Tenere ? where are you ? )

With that said, thanks again, sorry if I'm sounding grumpy but I'm tired from the long day of obsessing and traveling the hour there, hour back, to get my wifes new 13' G650GS which I just unloaded an hour ago. Aaaaaaand she's happy after first ride. AS we all know, AIn't no one happy until Momma's happy.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
GordyMN OP
b00n-E

G650GS - Update

The wife is very happy with her new bike. We did 300+ miles this weekend and she said the difference between the new bike and her factory low 09' "is like night and day". She even says it is much smoother running. (?)

Momma's happy, I'm happy.

Thanks again for the input, after seeing her wrestle the single into a couple uphill parking spots this weekend, I'm sure she made the right choice staying with the smaller bike.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm pretty certain your wife will have that perma grin on her face every time she thinks of her g650. I know my wife can't stop smiling. Enjoy
2003 Ural
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
GordyMN OP
b00n-E

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&K View Post
I'm pretty certain your wife will have that perma grin on her face every time she thinks of her g650. I know my wife can't stop smiling. Enjoy
Ha ! Awesome ! Yes, she's still commenting on it even today, after the long weekend and the inevitable first day back to work "I just want to ride!" She said this morning ... and I said, "ready to ride to Alaska ?" And she was all for it. Great news to hear about your wife and her bike. If mine takes me up on the offer, I'll look forward to meeting you both.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Gordy, what happened to the low 09? If traded in, which dealer?
Matt
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyMN View Post
Ha ! Awesome ! Yes, she's still commenting on it even today, after the long weekend and the inevitable first day back to work "I just want to ride!" She said this morning ... and I said, "ready to ride to Alaska ?" And she was all for it. Great news to hear about your wife and her bike. If mine takes me up on the offer, I'll look forward to meeting you both.
Come on up always enjoy showing folks around. But be warned this place can be contagious.
2003 Ural
Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
GordyMN OP
b00n-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&K View Post
Come on up always enjoy showing folks around. But be warned this place can be contagious.

That I can very much believe ! Woods and water are in my blood. Spent a couple years in Colorado so I can imagine what it's like when you mix it all together and throw in an ocean or two. ;)

Matt - traded in the low 09 at Leo's in Lakeville. PM me if you want more info.

EDIT - If anyone else is interested, the factory low 09' G650GS will be available as a demo/sales bike at the Hiawatha Rally in Money Creek, MN this weekend. Take it for a spin and let me know what they're asking for it.

GordyMN screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 08:33 PM