User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
iphorde OP
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
Gas Gas XC250e Review

I have been riding only KTM bikes for the past 5 years now and I have been extremely happy with them. I have ridden only 4 strokes for the past 20 years. I decided to break down and buy a two smoker and strangely a Gas Gas. All I can say is WOW. I rode the 2011 Gas Gas XC250, the 2012 300 XC300 and I wasn't impressed.

They got the 2013 Gasser right, and when I mean right, WOW right. I have had more fun on this motorcycle than I have all of my previous bike combined.

So to start, the bike comes with Marzocchi forks. No valve work required for these forks. They come with 3 adjustments instead of two, unlike other conventional suspension on KTM and Jap bikes. It has compression, preload and a new valve adjustment. You can literally set this forkup to do anything.

The rear shock is an Ohlins and well, what can you say, it's Ohlins. Awesome stuff. The rear is linkage suspension, which I'm used to from my KTM 350 XC-F.

I decided on the 250 over the 300 for one reason. The 300 would have made me a very lazy rider, stick it in third gear and go, and the 300 was a bit much on the top end. There really isn't much of a difference in performance between the 250 and 300, you just have to rev the 250 a bit more. I have been very happy with the amount of torque it produces.

This bike is an Enduro riders dream. If you ride single track, you won't go back. They changed the geometry on the 2013 bikes and the bike is incredibly stable. I haven't even bothered putting a steering stabilizer on it and probably won't.

This bike is very easy to go fast on. The power delivery roles on easy and turns into after burner after about a 1/4 of a twist. The power is very controllable. I haven't felt like this thing would get away from me, unlike the 300.

The Six Days tires it comes with pretty much suck except in the rocks and hard pack, so I am about to change them.

I got the E start version because I'm lazy and what can you say, it is really nice having it.

I am looking forward to some cooler weather to race our upcoming Enduro that is held at RRMT where the Last Man Standing was hosted. I might race a cross country on it if it is in some tight woods this summer. I have been riding Bills Woods and I can't believe how fast a get through that place now. It is some really tight woods.

I am extremely happy with this bike. If you're looking for a bike to trail ride or race Enduro's you will not go wrong with this bike. You won't ever have to send the suspension off to get valved. Tweak it to your desire. Coming from a Garage of KTM's this bike is as good if not better than any KTM I have owned or riden, which is pretty much all of them.

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....

iphorde screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 08:57 PM
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,066
How would you say it compares to a 200 xc-w?
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Thanks for the review Iphorde.

I've always enjoyed the chassis layout of the Gassers, perfect for us not 6'4".

You were chatting about the fork adjustments but I was not clear about the different adjustments. Other than compression and rebound damping, and preload what other adjustments do the Zokes have your KTM WP's do not?

Did you notice the weight over KTM two strokes?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
iphorde OP
Obviously I'm bored.

It has a lot more power than the 200 xc-w. The 200 xc-w is a fun bike, but this will walk away from it. Not from power, but just it's geometry. This bike was built for for technical riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
How would you say it compares to a 200 xc-w?

Yes, I'm 6ft 1inch and the Gasser feels quite comfortable. The fork is amazing, I'm learning more and more about each time I go out. I bought the special tool to adjust it for $19.00. You do not EVER have to have a valve adjustment done. The third adjustment is kinda like preloading the valves. Crank it up and you can hammer a motocross track... back it off and you're right at home in the woods. This is something I have always wanted but NO one has produced. Great stuff.

As far as weight, absolutely NO, I can't tell any difference between weight from the KTM 2 strokes. I can tell you this bike turns on a dime with no effort. You will not go wrong with this bike. I am the biggest skeptic, and I am very impressed. I can't wait to race it.

Btw, did I mention this bike looks sexy as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

You were chatting about the fork adjustments but I was not clear about the different adjustments. Other than compression and rebound damping, and preload what other adjustments do the Zokes have your KTM WP's do not?

iphorde screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 09:06 PM
Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Nice review!

Saving my pennies for a Christini Gas Gas.
Hopefully in a few years a used one will show up.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

These new Zokes have a "Chamber Pressure" adjustment. From what I have read, it has a significant effect on how firm the fork feels, and where it rides in the stroke.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
iphorde OP
Obviously I'm bored.

It does have a significant affect on the firmness. You can dial it in perfectly. I'm really impressed with these forks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
These new Zokes have a "Chamber Pressure" adjustment. From what I have read, it has a significant effect on how firm the fork feels, and where it rides in the stroke.

iphorde screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 11:06 AM
Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
lpr22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I am looking at buying one right now, and was wondering if you have come across any problems with it since you have bought it, and also how much does it approximately weigh? I have been to every web site I can think of and none of them are giving a curb weight and dry weight. It is either one or the other, and most are different from one another.
lpr22 is offline   Reply With Quote