Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,277
That's a lot of silicone goop stuck on sealing surfaces,that stuff can get loose and float around in the engine causing havoc and blocked oil passages.

We need a thread devoted to Lc4 funny or not so funny clicking/clacking/clunking noises. Trying to diagnose engine noises on the internet is hard.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #17
ciukes OP
ciukes

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rz35027 View Post
Where are the parts from the water pump? You don't want to leave them in the coolant tract....
No worries... I checked all the pipes and tracked down every little bit.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
ciukes OP
ciukes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
That's a lot of silicone goop stuck on sealing surfaces,that stuff can get loose and float around in the engine causing havoc and blocked oil passages.
It's the first time I play with liquid gasket. As you may guess I tried to do it right and went a bit too far. Now cleaning up the mess and redoing the silicone.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
ciukes OP
ciukes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Put a straight edge across the swivel foot adjuster for your valves. They tend to cup with age. If you measure a perfect .005 the center space is greater making more noise.
I did that and nothing wrong discovered.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if there's something wrong with bearings/rockers/swivel foot/valves then noise would be permanent. It wouldn't go away as revs go up, right?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
ciukes OP
ciukes

The story continues...

Crankshaft is out for inspection. No alarming signs of wear, no loose bits. Auto decomp pin has proper shape, spring's length is above minimum limit.

Inspired by The Miracle of Anti-Decompressants I decided to get rid of auto-decomp too.

If click-clacking stops after assembly -> that was it. Otherwise I have a problem.

Fingers crossed!:)
Old 06-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
ciukes OP
ciukes

End of the story...

Removing the auto-decomp didn't work for me. The bike wouldn't start no matter what.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKAjv24Rjos

So back to the old setup with auto-decomp on. Sure it's loud on idle but at least it works.

I cleaned up the camshaft, auto-decomp, oiled generously everything and assembled engine top for the last time. As soon as the top was on I started the engine hoping for a change. Nope... the engine greeted me with good, old click-clacking.
Oh well... I spent the rest of the afternoon assembling the bike all together.

Then I started the engine and... surprise! Clean sound with no clicking!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjPcquuXynA

My personal bet is on dirty camshaft and auto-decomp. I guess the previous owner was not much concerned about oil changes so dirty residue build up and stoped auto-decomp from moving freely.

ciukes screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 01:29 PM
ciukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
Syncrosimon
Numpty

Oddometer: 32
My LC4 makes that loud clattering when the idle is too low, it does it just above stall speed for the engine. I have had the top end apart at 15,000 miles and only the water pump shaft was worn.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #23
kg23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've had the problem (clicking clacking from auto decompression system) from time to time (2000 Duke II) and found it was definitely due to too-low idle speed. I also had it occur when I had mistakenly under-filled the crankcase after an oil change.

However, after a spirited 500+ mile ride this past weekend, my auto-decompression system is click-clacking quite heavily at an 1800rpm idle and even does it occasionally as high as 3000 rpm.

If the spring (#45) wore out/broke, would that cause the decompression system to activate more frequently? The diagram isn't really clear on how it works. Assuming my valves are properly adjusted (the sound is definitely not valves), I guess I have to take the cam out to check?
Attached Images

kg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #24
kg23
Adventurer

Here's a good post on how the auto decompression system works
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...63&postcount=6

Mine is definitely misbehaving. I'll check the valves and report back.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
kg23
Adventurer

So here's my report on my horrible sounding top end (2000 Duke II, 18K+ miles, original owner):
After a 500 mile weekend ride, the decomp. system was clacking away at idle and the valves sounded terrible. I changed the oil and found a fair amount of metal crap on the magnetic plug. I checked the valves and they were a bit loose. However, the clacking sound was unchanged after all this.

I took the bike to my local dealer and they called back with the question "Did you ride this thing in?!" Apparently the large cam bearing had eaten itself (#23 in pic above). 2 balls were missing as was most of the cage. This allowed for a bunch of play in the cam that was somehow causing the decompression system to clack away.

I had them replace the ball bearing (#23) and the needle bearing (#25) and hoped for the best... and got it. Bike is running great. Much quieter top end. I am going to change the oil again in a few hundred miles and check the valves. Dodged a bullet!

So... something else to check if you have a strange decompression clacking... worn cam bearing(s) and cam play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg23 View Post
I'll check the valves and report back.