From the Lone Star BMW/Triumph of Austin website:

Buh-bye BMW, this is the prime target for a next Mexico cycle

Posted en route to Tunisia at sea - ain't technology grand
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #15512
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 953
Going back to Mexico for a Minute, up the Devils spine to Mexiquillo, this is the place...

These two, Tim in front red 12gsa, & Nachin, blue coat, blue & white 1150...

Ended up here & here, about an hour west of El Salto, something, guessing truck dumped big strip of oil, smelled like old gear oil, took them both out, same corner about 10 seconds of each other, they both came out ok... for the most part...

The other 4 of us just missed the slick, Nachin's bike, not so good, went home in a truck, Tim could ride his...
The pic's don't do this justice, the way the bikes were laid out.
I feel Mexico is safe to ride in on so many levels, but you gotta stay sharp, and use your own personal risk assessment..

Or you could end up like Nachin looking for more scrapes and bruises...

And everyone is now back home in Mazatlan....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #15513
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,656
Kinda like Arkansas. I followed a poop line for about fifty miles this weekend. Some stockyard truck leaked a lot of cow poop for a long ways. In areas it was slick. It smelled really bad all the way into and out of Harrison Ark.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #15514
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
More Americans murdered in Mexico than in any other country

More Americans Murdered in Mexico than in any other Country

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...ntry-in-world/

Unsure if that's per capital or just total.

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #15515
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
More Americans Murdered in Mexico than in any other Country other than the USA.

Feext.

IMO, this "news" piece doesn't mean anything to anyone traveling to Mexico as a tourist unless there is some kind of connection to the drug trade. Much like the stats on US children killed by firearms. After you filter out gang violence firearms are less of a threat to children than drowning in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Literally. Filter out US travelers active in the drug trade from all stats of US citizens killed while traveling abroad then factor for numbers of travelers and time spent in all foreign countries to get some relevant stats to consider.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 04:45 PM
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #15516
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
San Diego to Oaxaca

Hello everyone.

Just finished the ride planning thread and thought I'd post here.

I'm planning on riding down from SD-Tijuana to Oaxaca where I'll be for the next couple of months.

Just wondering if anyone has some route suggestions?
My thinking was SD - LaPaz (possibly stopping in Loreto or a little before, depending on how the ride goes).
Then over to Mazatlan and hauling ass out of there ASAP over to Guadalajara for a night.
Then either to DF or straight to Oaxaca.

Is this a smarter route than taking the mainland all the way south?

Any areas on my route to watch out for?
I'm fairly familiar with a good part of BCS and La Paz. And also a little bit with Oaxaca state as well.

Also, this is not a sightseeing road trip, it's about getting the bike down here relatively quickly.

Any info, links and other suggestions

Le agradezco demasiado

Buenas tardes banda
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #15517
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,156
I sold my BMW moto a little while ago. That is the moto used for the recent trip to Panama. I have sold four motos since I returned home April 4 and now only have the KTM 990 Adventure.
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #15518
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,422
D K,

Sounds good. Unless you're really wanting to see Mexico City I consider MAZ-GUAD-MORELIA-CUERNAVACA-OAXACA a better direct route. There's talk of including MC's in DF's non-circulating schedule and non-DF registered vehicles are prohibited from circulating before 11am, IIRC. So you've really got to want to see the City to make it worthwhile.

Schizz

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #15519
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Going back to Mexico for a Minute, up the Devils spine to Mexiquillo, this is the place...

These two, Tim in front red 12gsa, & Nachin, blue coat, blue & white 1150...

Ended up here & here, about an hour west of El Salto, something, guessing truck dumped big strip of oil, smelled like old gear oil, took them both out, same corner about 10 seconds of each other, they both came out ok... for the most part...

The other 4 of us just missed the slick, Nachin's bike, not so good, went home in a truck, Tim could ride his...
The pic's don't do this justice, the way the bikes were laid out.
I feel Mexico is safe to ride in on so many levels, but you gotta stay sharp, and use your own personal risk assessment..

Or you could end up like Nachin looking for more scrapes and bruises...

And everyone is now back home in Mazatlan....
Yikes! Glad there were no serious injuries. I ran into a freshly oiled road near Zitacuaro/Los Azufres a month or so ago. Fortunately I made it around the first corner without dumping, and could adjust my speed accordingly. Paseo con precaucion!
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #15520
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

I dunno. My Secret Sweetie has been on the BMWMOA board for something like 15 years and I've shot commercials for BMW because I was one of several invited "dedicated" GS riders. So I've got a vested interest in things BMW.

(And yeah Trice, before you start bellyaching, that was a few years ago. Much better to be a has been than a never has been, but that's beside the point. )

Anyway ... I have seriously considered getting a Triumph and slapping BMW stickers on it. For a joke among my BMW-faithful friends with a sense of humour. If the Wasserboxer is everything that it looks like it will be then it's the #1 bike, but for the investment in a new R1200GS I'd personally wait until about the 3rd year of production before I'd buy a new GS. The Triumph is extremely formidable. It may well make an excellent interim bike before the R1200GS matures.

Of course, by then Triumph will have upgraded the Explorer ...

Anyway, the Triumphs seem to be excellent bikes. I haven't talked to Al Jesse or his people lately but they thought that the bags for the Explorer and new R1200GS would be interchangeable. So yeah ... that interim bike thing makes sense ...

On the Triumph Explorer thread elsewhere on ADVRider there was initial criticism that the standard Explorer was offered with cast wheels instead of spoked but I have to say that for those of us that aren't the hardened, knarly adventurers of the "true" Mexico that Schizz and Trice want to be the cast wheels, skid plates, and cruise control make perfect sense for running to Monterrey on the toll roads. They also make great sense for those runs to New Orleans, back to Florida, and so forth. Particularly if one gives up the notion that a big, heavy touring bike is suitable for serious off-road stuff, particularly when one has a lighter, more suitable off road touring bike available.

Bottom line: Triumph has an excellent line up these days with the 800 Tiger and Explorer and BMW finally has serious competition in this segment.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #15521
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:

FOXNEWS ? give me a break ! That's a circus " Go Go to IRAK Afganistan Vietnam don't go to Mexico..... OMG
are they counting the USA is a country is it

Hope RMO approves my post

Bato screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 06:09 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #15522
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Yikes! Glad there were no serious injuries. I ran into a freshly oiled road near Zitacuaro/Los Azufres a month or so ago. Fortunately I made it around the first corner without dumping, and could adjust my speed accordingly. Paseo con precaucion!
Glad that no one was seriously hurt!

A friend and I were riding through Matamoros in 2006 or so (yes, Trice ... all disclaimers apply ) and we ran across a city block that was just as slick as ice. I figured that someone dropped either diesel or heating oil.

Same thing happened to me in Jacksonville, FL once. I came off of I-95 at speed and there was an accident at the end of the off ramp. I slowed down, put my foot down, and almost lost my footing. Some truck had their diesel tank ruptured, the road was slicker than snot, and there were secondary accidents nearby. It's motorcycling - always be alert.

For those folks that have written to me about the cliquish attitudes here and the general getting away from the original theme of this forum:

MEXICAN TRAVEL TIP:

Always be careful when pulling away from Mexican toll booths. They can be really, REALLY greasy!

I have run across the same thing in the States (I remember toll booths in New Jersey and around Philly being really, really slick) but for some reason Mexican asphalt seems to have plenty of petroleum in it and they never clean the road outside toll booths (which they actually do in Florida - there is an entire underground industry devoted to cleaning the pavement at convenience stores and such).

Mexico is great fun. Falling at a toll booth can be either embarrassing or injurious. That's one of the few places where I wished that I had traction control.

A few years back an experienced rider that had been on some of Helge Peterson's Chinese tours slipped at a stoplight in a Mexican border town and was run over by a tractor trailer. So be aware. It does happen.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #15523
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Kinda like Arkansas. I followed a poop line for about fifty miles this weekend. Some stockyard truck leaked a lot of cow poop for a long ways. In areas it was slick. It smelled really bad all the way into and out of Harrison Ark.
In the Carolinas a lot of seafood companies truck shrimp and whatever in ice and run an exhaust hose out of their trailers so you get a constant stream of melting ice and decaying fish. Late in the run and on a hot day you really don't want to get any of that mess on your clothes.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #15524
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Break in ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Posted en route to Tunisia at sea - ain't technology grand

I think a nice break in ride would be to Zacatecas.....I would like a debrief after you do a couple of thousand miles at the Garufa. The Lomo Argentino is on me.

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #15525
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Logically enough, since we share a border, there are more American citizens en Mexico than there are in any other country. So it would make sense that there are more murders of Americans just because there are more available warm (at the time) bodies.

Anyway ... I have personally given up on telling people that have an axe to grind against Mexico and Latin people that Mexico is safe. Frankly, I figure that most of those people are too stupid to learn anything new, and they are better left in some flyover part of the country spouting off about things they know nothing about. If they were to actually go into Mexico, for example, they would embarrass those of us that actually travel there.