ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #166
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: LBC, yo.
Oddometer: 357
IMO, the only reason to buy any Husky in the last ten years was to get a plated dirt bike if you had an aversion to orange. In hindsight, I'd probably just save up and get a 690 instead of the 610 almost ready to ride motorcycle kit.
__________________
DIRT BIKES ARE FUN AND INTERESTING
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #167
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!
 
Beemermcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
So based on the latest press release, it appears that the Husqvarna nameplate will remain, and the Husaberg nameplate is destined to fade into obscurity.
Spoke with my dealer today: it seems so on the nameplate, but he says the combination should generate some great bikes. Except for Nuda, he said all lines continue ----
__________________
Paul Baird
Sandy, UT
2013 Husky/BMW/KTM Terra
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #168
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
IMO, the only reason to buy any Husky in the last ten years was to get a plated dirt bike if you had an aversion to orange. In hindsight, I'd probably just save up and get a 690 instead of the 610 almost ready to ride motorcycle kit.
No thanks! I'd rather have my TE630.

The 690 has a sumo close ratio gearbox and no downtubes below the motor. And they have their typical KTM electrical and EFI problems.

To me a 'plated dirtbike' is the 350/525/530/500 from KTM. I would be fine with any one of those. No big orange bikes for me. The only one out of the Husky camp I would take at this point would be the TE310. No thanks for the rest of them. For a real dualsport I think the 630 hit a homerun. The 610 was a great bike, improved all around in the 630. Too bad that was the end of the line for that motor - it's a good one. Maybe it will come back anew.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #169
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
No thanks! I'd rather have my TE630.

The 690 has a sumo close ratio gearbox and no downtubes below the motor. And they have their typical KTM electrical and EFI problems.

To me a 'plated dirtbike' is the 350/525/530/500 from KTM. I would be fine with any one of those. No big orange bikes for me. The only one out of the Husky camp I would take at this point would be the TE310. No thanks for the rest of them. For a real dualsport I think the 630 hit a homerun. The 610 was a great bike, improved all around in the 630. Too bad that was the end of the line for that motor - it's a good one. Maybe it will come back anew.
We can only but hope. I also hope they'll bring back the 70* engine layout for Husky.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #170
Thumpermeister
roost maker
 
Thumpermeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Frosbite Falls
Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
We can only but hope. I also hope they'll bring back the 70* engine layout for Husky.
I think KTM has firmly closed the door on that design. The latest Bergs are blue and yellow KTMS...soon to be replaced by red and white KTM's I expect.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #171
Lutz
Killer Rabbit
 
Lutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North Shore of Lake Superior
Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
I think KTM has firmly closed the door on that design. The latest Bergs are blue and yellow KTMS...soon to be replaced by red and white KTM's I expect.
I'm hoping that killing the Husaberg name is KTM's easy way to get to no more blue KTMs, and that the new Husqvarna (with the annexing of Husaberg) is allowed to be (mostly) unique. ...Really hoping.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #172
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer
 
roadholder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I'm hoping that killing the Husaberg name is KTM's easy way to get to no more blue KTMs.
I was really expecting Husaberg to be shut down and consolidated with KTM years ago, after the latter bought them to milk them for the RFS technology. Why compete with yourself for the same market share? Perhaps by the time they are done they will be using some strategy to seperate the Husky and KTM lineup's focus?
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #173
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,736
KTM seemed like they used Berg to intro the latest technology before it trickled down to KTM or so it seemed. I thought at 1st the 3 bike line analogy compared to Audi/VW assy method would result in:
Berg = Porsche or Audi's S line
KTM = Audi
Husky = VW

So you could get the same bike in different price points and equipment options.
Guess that's not the case anymore.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #174
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer
 
roadholder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
KTM seemed like they used Berg to intro the latest technology before it trickled down to KTM or so it seemed.
Not much trickle down effect however now that they are the same bikes!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #175
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: DFW
Oddometer: 931
Dang it! I gotta stay out of these threads. Everytime I read them I want a Husky all over again. I, personally, am holding out a couple of years to see what happens.

Chris
__________________
Current Bike: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
I deserve the best, anything less is unacceptable.
GPrairie_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014