Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #10711
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
So I bent my stock bars. The bike already has risers on them the throttle cable is already so tight that turning the bars one way causes the engine to rev up (not a big fan of this). So my question is what are people installing in place of the stock bars? how wide can you go? is there a source for longer throttle cables and/or clutch and brake lines? Ideally I'd like to go to a wider set of bars with less sweep so I can get over the front end more easily off road.
I have a Renthal Jimmy Button bar with 20mm risers. Not sure if it's still available, but if not, the CR High is pretty close to the same bend. My stock throttle and clutch cables still work fine. Bars are about the same width as stock+bar end weights, but without the weights on the ends, the grips are set farther out. It also has less pullback than stock.

I ditched the stock grips when I put the new bar on, and I had to bend the Barkbusters guards a little bit to get things to line up on the bars, with the reduced pullback. But everything fits, and the Barkbusters just barely kiss the windshield at full lock.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #10712
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Never checked so I dont know if theyre wider, but I like the Pro Taper ATV HI bars. Youll definately have to lose the risers for them though. I had 2" Rox risers and everything was so tight there was a very specific spot that I could even mount the bars, but it revved up when I turned to full lock to the right, and I had to relocate the wires for the starter/kill switch. Didnt like it so I took the risers out and still find the height/position to be good for me.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #10713
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Reroute the throttle cable and fit bars with less rake, no more width out there
Old 05-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #10714
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post

This.

If you want to know if your pressure sender works, simply turn the ignition on without starting the bike. Engine stopped = zero oil pressure, and the oil light should light up and stay on. It should also go out quickly (within a second) of starting up the bike.
Eikkkkk thats something i did not think about. Thanks for the heads up guys..
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #10715
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 635
front fender options

Ok, Who has had good luck out of a different front fender? Im doing the yz fork conversion and would like to replace the front fender for something that is less likely to hit... but doesnt look stupid...

OR if anyone has taken the front fender completely off, what have you done in its place? I was thinking some sort of covering for that area.
Pictures please
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #10716
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
Ok, Who has had good luck out of a different front fender? Im doing the yz fork conversion and would like to replace the front fender for something that is less likely to hit... but doesnt look stupid...

Okay, so maybe it does look a little stupid, but it works a lot better than the stock beak.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #10717
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 635
Nice not too bad, but I don't think I'd use it. Maybe something a bit smaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post

Okay, so maybe it does look a little stupid, but it works a lot better than the stock beak.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #10718
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post

OR if anyone has taken the front fender completely off, what have you done in its place? I was thinking some sort of covering for that area.
Pictures please
I've used an Acerbis universal fender for many years. Works good, but I needed a change so I just put on an eBay super moto fender. Which, as it so predictably turns out, does not work as well in the wet as teh Acerbis did

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #10719
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Howdy folks,

Been reading through this thread and the Sertao thread as well.

Just throwing this out there trying to hit a specific audience.

I'm looking for a Dakar/Sertao and a have a sweet RS in the Flea Market that I'd like to trade. So if any of you folks in the Northern New York, Vermont, area have a well cared for Dakar and are looking to go the other way let me know.

I'm kind af picky about condition, but I thought I'd try.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
LV
Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #10720
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
@Gravelseeker- you ever think of painting your other plastics white?
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #10721
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dabalina View Post
@Gravelseeker- you ever think of painting your other plastics white?
Both yes and no...why, do you think it's ugly ?
I just painted those red last fall

My right rear panel was cut down when I was in Australia to make room for a 5L jerry can, so after I got home I cut the left one to match. They were very stubby and were bothering me, so I aquired two sets of rear panels last fall. One was painted white and in good condition (in the picture above) and one set cptn america which were pretty scratched up and worn.

Since I put the white rear panels on I decided to go for white X2 headlight and SM front fender. All the white parts are different shades of white
I have another set of the original black/ white checkered front panels though which I'm going to cut down. Haven't decided whether to keep the checker stickers or not.

There's been a few variations over the years...it's a 2001 (built in late 2000), but I bought it new from BMW Norway in august 2002 for NOK 116.000 (USD 14.500 with 2002 exch. rate, USD 20.000 using 2013 exch rate)

Touratech rally cockpit, with first generation IMO computer and the TT manual roadbook holder/ roller. TT rally footpeg relocation kit. Check out the worlds best sticker on the lower fork support. Been on there since the bike was 1 week old in august 2002 and still looks almost new.

Original rear "rack". The bike actually looks very nice the way BMW designed it. Too bad they never thought about the people who were going to use them.

First real crash in the fall same year attending a roadbook rally....

New rear rack, dash and Acerbis Cyclopse headlight

2006-2009
New paint and smaller things here and there

Back to checkered and dakar tall screen, re-worked tail end

New paint and dash

Cyclopse headlight, 2012 dash

X2 headlight, 2012 dash

X2 headlight, 2013 "dash"/ headlight mount. Still have some work before I'm happy with it, just had to get it back on the road

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #10722
Hamburgler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
hey all , I'm about to weld my kick stand back together(added a couple inches) but first wanted to disconnect the ecu but cant figure out how to.ive taken it out but cant see a way to easily disconnect it without taking the right side cover off and digging thru all the wires,is there an easier way ,I've googled it and checked 650.com but nothing so far.thx

bike is a 2006 dakar

haha Christ that was. a dumb question,took the kickstand off the bike.question does still stand for future welding tho

Hamburgler screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 11:38 AM
Hamburgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #10723
Linusp3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
A few weeks ago I removed the combi-instrument by disconnecting the plug under the rubber hood (2), and ever since Ive had problems with the RPM-meter being dead, milage not showing on the ODO and dasboard lights coming and going... I understand the connector must be loose somehow but despite a few tries at disconnecting and reconnecting the plug I cant get it to work :(

Any good ideas here?

Thanks!
Linusp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #10724
Dragon M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Been lurking here a while, last month did a ~ 2,000 mile trip through AZ and southern CA. Thought I'd post up a photo or 2 of the bike from the trip as a "Thanks" for all the stuff I've learned in this thread.

Empty highway outside of Baker, CA - heading towards Death Valley

In Grand Canyon, NP after riding through the worst windstorm of my life

In Sedona, AZ

Lastly...outside of Grand Canyon NP on a trail, more a pic of my buddies' 1150GSA, but I love the way it turned out
Dragon M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #10725
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 823
Took the Dakar to Deals Gap last week - just felt like sharing.

My side stand looks a bit low.

(obligatory creative commons licensing note for the above)

I saw a guy on an older model Dakar there (the black and white one). He had the ginormous TT fuel tank and looked to be on quite the trip. I didn't get a chance to chat with him. Anyone from this forum?
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote