Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

Oddometer: 63
Wicked Was this a good idea? (2006 525 EXC)

Might be a little late to ask

Picked up a 2006 525 EXC this weekend to compliment my fantastic 990 streetbike. I made it about 65 pages into this thread before I figured it might be a really bad (good idea).

Paid $2700, it has 350hrs/5500 miles. Looking to rip around in a few parks around the Seattle area this summer and then maybe do some longer trips.

First Impression: Wheelie city. This thing is NOT like my DRZ400 was. And after taking an hour to change the oil, I definitely realize its not my DRZ.

Here are my takeaways from that megathread:

-Fan kit: Necessary
-Oil Cooler / Cush Hub: Only needed for extended highway riding
-Steering Damper: Good idea but not necessary

Maintenance Plan:

Oil (done)
Valves/Plug/Coolant (to be done tonight)
Repack exhaust
Make it streetlegalish (its plated already)
Freshen forks, possibly the shock as well, might need a respring (I'm 200lb)

Ride? Am I OK to assume that until it starts to run worse the top/bottom end should be happy? Or should I pull it apart to check everything?

Thanks guys!
Blaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,603
Just ride it!!!!

THAT IS A VERY RELIABLE MOTOR

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,635
do you know if it's had any work done to it?
if not, you're probably looking at the valves running out of adjustment, and it may be time for a piston / bore check (they oval)
fortunately, you have one of the masters fairly local. (djh)
Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
do you know if it's had any work done to it?
if not, you're probably looking at the valves running out of adjustment, and it may be time for a piston / bore check (they oval)
fortunately, you have one of the masters fairly local. (djh)
I'm gonna check/adjust the valves tonight. There's a pair of valves in a spares box so I'm assuming they were replaced at some point.

Is the ovaling of the piston just cause lower power, or other issues? After my DRZ I'm not worried about it being too slow
Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,635
the piston doesn't go oval, the bore does. think hard nikasil over relatively soft aluminum cylinder.

i believe you'll start burning oil and losing compression when it's on it's last legs.

fwiw, ktmtalk RFS forum is a really good place for the nuts and bolts type of info.

and DJH is in kirkland iirc, for when you need stuff.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
i believe you'll start burning oil and losing compression when it's on it's last legs.
OK in that case I'll check the compression. Doesn't smoke so don't think it's burning any oil.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I have a 06 525XC. it has 270+ hours and still runs great, I bought it last year and there was 168 hours on it. PO checked the valves right before I bought it and they were fine. I checked them a while back and still good. My water pump seal is starting to to dampen the cylinder so one is on order, it didn't fail yet. I came off of a xr4 and this bike out performs it by far. Yes it may need more maintenance but it is worth it. I don't believe the oil changes are that bad. Have fun.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
i gotta '06 SMR 450 that i've dirtyfied.... the more i mess w/that RFS motor, the more i like it..... baddazz motor.....change the oil, adjust the valves, good air filter, and if it ain't doin' anything weird, ride it....all the dorks act like adjusting the valves is rocket science... really?.... how big a carb is it? 39 or 41mm?.... put in an OCEMP needle if it ain't got one, get the accelerator pump firing right.... that DJH guy is the carb god at KTMTalk, so if he was close to me, i'd definitely make a friend, there's alotta carb voodoo.... fat is where it's at, runs alot cooler.... get the right springs for your weight, big dealio, the rear sag is huge, and dialing up a too soft spring ain't it...... gotta get the rear sag right, 35mm static, manual sez 95-105mm rider, alotta people say 110-115mm rider, so YMMV... and set it standing.... i ride in sugar sand in fla, so what you got up there is probably pretty different, and you can run less rear.... fukkin' cool bike, i really want that wide ratio gear box that you got....

DRZ?.... hahahaha
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

hahah thanks Dave.

I Believe its an FCR39. JD Jet kit installed already, not sure what jets are in there yet but I'll check this week.

Glad you said just run it if it's not doing anything funny. I wanna ride not rebuild!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Blaise OP
SUPER DUKE

OK so spent some time wrenching on this beast last night. As I stated before, it has 350hrs/5500 miles.

In the spares box I found a bearing (new) which I identified as a camshaft bearing. I also found a piston ring compressor, and 2 old intake valves.

I think it's safe to say that the engine has been apart and serviced? Is there a way to tell if I have new SS valves with just the cover off? When checking the piston/cyl, would they always install new rings?

Thanks!