Which would be a colossal waste of time and effort

They are not tracked like TVIPs are

Maybe I missed something
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #542
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Trice, now that you are doing Europe it would a good time to do a bit of research or share your Passport experience. Upon entering the EU from the USA would the Passport Card get you in or did you show your Passport?
A Passport Card is not very good if the border crossings include a lot of paperwork and inked stamps required as is the case with Mexico and Central America .
If a US passport goes missing it apparently is not an impossible obstacle as long as you have US consular offices available. A user of my book wrote two weeks ago that his PP disappeared while he left it in a hotel room. Three days later in the DF he was issued a new US passport and the trip continued with ease.
Even without either document the USA border keepers( or the keepers at the border of whatever country is your citizenship )would have been obligated to allow you back in once you had established your identity for them.
Again , the PPCard can be useful but it has limits. It is intended more , I think , for the frequent border crossings between neighboring countries like Canada - USA and
USA- Mexico , but for those cases there are also other documents like a Nexus Card or whatever it is called.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #543
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,799
AFAIK, the passport card is a US, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean initiative.

Not good for air travel.

It's easy to research, but I'm too lazy right now
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #544
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
If you "forget" to turn in your FMM when leaving Baja, you can mail it to:
Instituto Nacional De Migracion
Puente Puerta S/N
Colonia Federal
Tijuana, B.C. Mexico C.P. 22310
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Which would be a colossal waste of time and effort

They are not tracked like TVIPs are

Maybe I missed something
Only one time did I encounter a hassle from a Mexican Migracion officer for
not surrendering my tourist visa when exiting on a previous trip. He examined
my passport and saw no exit stamp then scolded me for it. But he did issue a
new visa. My take on this is that the officer was simply pressing me to see if
some dollars would pass his way and there's no actual requirement to surrender
the visa on exit. I have since asked other Migracion officers about this and they
have confirmed that there is no such requirement. But it is Mexico so YMMV.

BTW, these officials are paid very little so, with Bato's input, I have taken to
discreetly passing them a small "tip" to show my appreciation for their services
and in recognition of obvious financial differences. A 50 peso bill accompanied
by a smile of appreciation and respect can do alot for building good will with
our neighbors. I understand there are differing views on this topic but this has
become my MO.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #545
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
AFAIK, the passport card is a US, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean initiative.

Not good for air travel.

It's easy to research, but I'm too lazy right now
Overdid the tapas, eh?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #546
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

US Passport Card

Here's the short story:

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."

Go here for more.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #547
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
The problem with tipping government officials is that they all begin to want tips, then the begin to expect tips, then they become a pain in the arse to deal with unless you take out your wallet.

I know the protocol you are following, but it is like feeding the damn pigeons in the zocalo. You end up with more and more, then the zocalo is full of bird crap, needs to be hosed down ever day, then the municipality begins to do less of that and just pocket the budget line for cleaning the zocalo and then people stop going and then the local small business people complain and the wheels on the bus go round and round.
The problem is not yours, but it becomes the problem of those who live here and then have to deal with the hassles of government extortion every day.

Drives me crazy.

I just listened to a half hour of radio hosts speaking about why things are the way they are in Mexico when it comes to illegal activities and they brought up some really interesting points.

Imagine if people in the USA could simply go to the DMV, slip a $5 bill to someone and then magically go to the front of the line, slip a cop a $10 bill and park illegally all week long and block a lane of traffic during business hours, pay a county clerk $2 to get the copy of the land deed or something without having to fill out a form and go through the usual procedure?
Where does it end? Who knows? But I can tell you where it starts!

If anyone is still reading this, thank you. I feel better!
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #548
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,480
I used to go to a particular small island 2-3 times a year and stayed at the same hotel for several years. I knew all the staff. One of them asked me a couple of times to bring here a particular item (not personal) from the US, so I did. On a subsequent trip she was miffed that I didn't bring anything. This escalated to her basically becoming almost hostile. So a small favor escaleted into a perceived (by her) obligation. No more propinas or freebies from me !
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #549
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Hi all,

Been paying close attention to this thread as I begin to make plans for my own Central and South American ride beginning in October.

I do have a question about prescription drugs.

My pharmacist is willing to give me a six month supply of each, but I am wondering if that will cause me problems at the borders, even with prescriptions...

Would I be better served to just refill scripts at pharmacies on the way down?

TIA for any and all information.

Steve
Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #550
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The problem with tipping government officials is that they all begin to want tips, then the begin to expect tips, then they become a pain in the arse to deal with unless you take out your wallet.

I know the protocol you are following, but it is like feeding the damn pigeons in the zocalo. You end up with more and more, then the zocalo is full of bird crap, needs to be hosed down ever day, then the municipality begins to do less of that and just pocket the budget line for cleaning the zocalo and then people stop going and then the local small business people complain and the wheels on the bus go round and round.
The problem is not yours, but it becomes the problem of those who live here and then have to deal with the hassles of government extortion every day.

Drives me crazy.

I just listened to a half hour of radio hosts speaking about why things are the way they are in Mexico when it comes to illegal activities and they brought up some really interesting points.

Imagine if people in the USA could simply go to the DMV, slip a $5 bill to someone and then magically go to the front of the line, slip a cop a $10 bill and park illegally all week long and block a lane of traffic during business hours, pay a county clerk $2 to get the copy of the land deed or something without having to fill out a form and go through the usual procedure?
Where does it end? Who knows? But I can tell you where it starts!

If anyone is still reading this, thank you. I feel better!
I totally get what you're saying even without living in Mexico full time. And I often see some fellow travelers acting in unnecessarily inflationary ways that do affect people living there. Yours is the POV I've held to for many years and still do for most situations. I do not "tip" in advance, I do not slip a cop money for special treatment, and I do not yield to extortion, as in the case of the Migracion officer hassling me about a previous visa not being cancelled. He was simply pressing me for money and he got nothing for it. BUT, and I don't expect to change any opinions here, when border personnel do me a good service and are courteous and professional I like to acknowledge that in a small way. Do I owe it? No. Does it become established as a problematic expectation over time? Possibly, but I've not seen evidence of this. Unless you are crossing the border with great frequency you should not encounter this as problematic. IMHO.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #551
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 912
Getting ready to cross the broader...

Sometimes I think all employes should depend on tips, like they do at a restaurant, I don't want anything extra or illegal,
but at the DMV, or one of those big box hardware stores, or anything City or County related downtown...
Hell I'd rather have a Root canal.... than wander around saying Hello, can anybody help me, Hello, I know your in here I couldn't find a parking place...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!!!
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #552
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
I hear ya Schizz, I just needed a little rant.
All is back to normal.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #553
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Soon.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #554
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Getting ready to cross the broader...

GoingSouth, so where exactly in Mazatlan did you say your condo is?
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #555
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Hi all,

Been paying close attention to this thread as I begin to make plans for my own Central and South American ride beginning in October.

I do have a question about prescription drugs.

My pharmacist is willing to give me a six month supply of each, but I am wondering if that will cause me problems at the borders, even with prescriptions...

Would I be better served to just refill scripts at pharmacies on the way down?

TIA for any and all information.

Steve
I don't think it should be a problem as long as you have the script signed by the doc with you. On my recent trip I had my bags inspected at only one border and that was very cursory. Never a question about prescriptions.

www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote