ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #241
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Maybe we need a "Who's got what key numbers" thread? Maybe some swapping could be done.
Mine Match
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #242
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
What a POS

Finally getting around to installing my tanks...I wish I knew someone in Aus that could go to the factory and beat the shit out of whomever let these leave the factory.

1. There is no flat surface for anything to seal...I have to shave and trim and sand every single mating surface.

2. The fuel pump bolts do not line up, not even close. So I will have to oval out my fuel pump holes to get them to work...but FIRST...

3. The fuel pump cannot sit flat and flush on the mating surface due to the fact that pump (and filter and all the bits that go inside the tank) actually hit the inside of the tank and force the pump to sit at an angle. I think I am gonna have to get a heat gun and massage the tank...even still the pump will be pushing outwards on the inside surface of the tank.

Quite frustrating considering the cost of these hunks of crap. Do I exchange them and see if another one will at least let the fuel pump sit flush (let alone look like it was made by a one handed Viet Nam blind child) or try to do some serious modifications to make what I have work.

Rally_West screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 09:10 PM
Rally_West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #243
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
The bolts didn't line up with the inserts on mine either. I had several sets of these tanks and none lined up. Other people reported the same problem.
I've used the rubber seal to help with a proper pump seal/mating after sanding it down a bit.

I'm a bit confused as of why your pump doesn't sit straight (if you've sanded down the mating area). Does it touch on the inside? There is plenty of space in there.

Otherwise I'm super happy with them.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #244
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Yes...it hits on the inside and will not allow the pump housing (where the bolts go through to mount to the tank) to sit flush with the tanks mating surface. It's dumb because there is lots room (like you say) in there...they just angled the mounting surface AND drilled the nut holes so far inboard that the pump hits. I have no problem heating a tank (stretched a bunch in my day) but this is not a good place to be doing that...IMHO.

I read that the gasket was only to be used when using the block-off plate...I tried it to see if would take up some of the gap but it did not. Did I read that wrong?

I was already sorta prepared for the bolt holes not lining up...but c'mon Aussies, get it together man.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #245
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

I've used the gasket they include for the block off plate.
It works well like that and I feel that i have a proper seal now.

Maybe it would help you compensate the angle and give you the clearance you need.

Or swap your left tank. The distributor isn't so far from you.

I agree, craftsmanship could be improved but given that there is nothing else in the market, I was happy to have that option.
Once you have them installed and running, you'll be happy with them. (Just don't let them sit in the sun while they're off the bike)
Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #246
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

I already tried the gasket and it certainly did not help...almost made it worse.

I am gonna call them on Monday...I have already been there to get my tanks, but had to order them direct instead. I hope they have black in stock now.

I totally get it as far being the ONLY option, but with the quality of these it almost seems like they are taking advantage of that fact. There is so little room for error when dealing with a fuel pump and a fuel opening I am just not sure I feel comfortable hacking and heating and shimming, etc to get these to work. I can't even test the seal on the other fittings until I get this sorted and fill the tank (the other holes are suspect as well based on installing the level sender and crossover valves). As I mentioned I have heated and stretched many tanks in my day but nowhere near a major fitment opening like this.

I sure hope I can resolve this quickly as I have made a pretty big financial commitment to these (as well as time).

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #247
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

I agree with you. For the price and time it takes to get them, they should be top notch.

I wouldn't mess with the tank if it's that bad. They might not warranty it. But I'm stating the obviously here.
I hope they get you sorted.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #248
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Another option...

Or you can send them back and order a beautiful set of rear rally tanks from Pete640, which keeps the weight low and back. And from the looks and comments by his customers, they are top notch and very satisfying.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #249
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Or you can send them back and order a beautiful set of rear rally tanks from Pete640, which keeps the weight low and back. And from the looks and comments by his customers, they are top notch and very satisfying.
Yep, they are awesome but there were not available at the time. Excellent stuff though.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #250
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,110
New person record for a one tank trip

There was enough gas to go maybe another 5-10 miles but I'd, hated to have to push that thing or ruin my day looking for gas.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #251
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Are they compatible with rear pegs (be a bummer to change them out just so I could ride some lass around for an afternoon) and are what racks are they compatible with (the reason I need more fuel is for distance travel)?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #252
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,238
Fugly fone pics...
I don´t think you can use the rear pegs, but that would be a lesser task to make something work.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #253
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

I'm guessing you have to run a low exhaust too. Those are just not an option for me...so it's either get the Safaris to work or use a Neduro style tank.

I did take my tank to the US distributor of Safari Tanks today and they agree the fitment was shite as well as the finish of the fuel pump hole and and the tank overall. They have my tank and pump for the time being and are talking to Safari in Aus to see what they can come up with.

There were several other tanks there and all were better for sure, but none were great or even good for that matter. To me it seems that over time the mold and or jig(s) have just slipped or moved and need to be re-calibrated.

We'll see how this goes.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #254
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

I have some interesting and promising news. After emailing back and forth with Safari Tanks in Aus it seems that we have figured out the issues and they are working on solutions. They will now be using a pump bolted in place as the tanks cool to keep the bolt inserts from shifting while cooling and at the quality control stage where they pressurize the tanks to check for leaks. They will also be using Viton seals and gaskets to prevent any issues with various fuels degrading the rubber gaskets.

At this point I have reason to believe that this will resolve the issues and that the next iterations of Safari Tanks will be better than ever.

I'll let you guys know when I get my tanks in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #255
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Good News!!!

I hope this gets resolved. When they're set up right, they seem to be an awesome ( although costly) feature!

I'm still too stubborn and cheap to pull the trigger. If only they came in rally blue...