Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #31
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider

... there are a couple of oversights that make you wonder, like the sidestand. Does KTM leave this job for the work experience students to design? Why must they bolt part of the bracket to the engine ...
They made this mistake AGAIN? W T F! Really?

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #32
HRC51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post

Great thread and pictures. This picture makes me want to trade my SMT...
HRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #33
khronus79
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Much thanks for your detailed observations and great review. The 1190r is in my radar for the near future, can't wait until the arrive here in the US.
khronus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,672
NOW I see why you sold the Tiger... I cant hate, only congratulate
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #35
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Rooster View Post
hi 'mate' ,

Most interesting observations you have made so far... I have taken a testride on the normal 1190 and was impressed by it's road capabilities compared to my 990. Nevertheless I am not thinking of trading yet simply because I still have loads of fun with the 990 esp. off-road. An 'R' will probably be parked one day outside my house but that will not be the case in the near future. Untill then I enjoy reading your 'adventures' with the 1190R
Once more my compliments for your photography

Regards from the North of the Netherlands
The standart version can do off road very well ! better then all the others like BMw, or and other japanesse bike. 990 not really a off road bike 990 r is more like a offroad bike i guess you can do anything with 1190 standart what ever you do with 990 ;)
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #36
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,839
Great unbiased views. Great views as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #37
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Hi Burren,

Great photos. Witch tires are those ones?
I have fitted on mine the Mitas E-07 Dual sport. It's not to much options in tubeless tires.. At least that what they told me. And also I have a problem with the rear sensor since I installed those tires.. Always shows "Low pressure at the rear"
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #38
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 371
Wow!! I have too many bikes but have to get this bike for sure. I can't part with any that I have. Maybe the Ducati has to go! Never thought I would think that. Awesome write up! Thank you!
'82 Honda CT 110
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #39
khronus79
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Hi Burren,

I have fitted on mine the Mitas E-07 Dual sport. It's not to much options in tubeless tires.. At least that what they told me. And also I have a problem with the rear sensor since I installed those tires.. Always shows "Low pressure at the rear"
I believe he said he's using a Tube Type Pirelli Scorpion Rally on the front and a Mitas E-09 dakar on the rear, obviously his TPS comes on because of the front tube.

By the way Burren(Danny), what equipment are you using for those fantastic pics???
khronus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #40
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronus79 View Post
I believe he said he's using a Tube Type Pirelli Scorpion Rally on the front and a Mitas E-09 dakar on the rear, obviously his TPS comes on because of the front tube.
?
I believe, the question was not about the tires on his Adventure R. The tires he asked about are the tires on the Adventure (non R) he tested/photographed. They look like Shinko 700 tires.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #41
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day,

This was one of my main concerns with the new bike but I think they have really nailed the engine characteristics. In the off road mode it is smooth and tractable with plenty of grunt but not so much that it is a handful in tight going. In sport mode, the thing is an animal but in a strange contradiction, still controllable if you exercise some restraint. I am yet to experience any jerky throttle response or go looking for power and come up short. It will pull cleanly from really low revs if required and the engine is free from vibration until you really start to work it. Pretty impressive stuff so far.
Thanks for that.

I think I'll have to ride one next year when they come to the States, if only to compare it to the Ducati, which is arguably its closest competitor in this market segment.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #42
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Hi Burren,

G'Day Niko,

Wonder what is going on with the sensor? I am still running tubeless at the back and it registers fine after fitting the new tyre. I even tried letting it down to 24 psi out of curiosity and it still worked accurately.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #43
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khronus79 View Post
By the way Burren(Danny), what equipment are you using for those fantastic pics???
G'Day,

I have been using a Nikon D600 (awesome camera) but I reckon a lot of the impact comes from the radio trigger for the remote flash. Fiddly to setup (all manual) but works really well when you get the angles and settings right.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #44
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I believe, the question was not about the tires on his Adventure R. The tires he asked about are the tires on the Adventure (non R) he tested/photographed. They look like Shinko 700 tires.
G'Day Lion,

That reminded me that I was going to do some further investigation for you. The tyres are Kings KT-988 (I think that model number is right). Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Danny
Old 05-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #45
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Tool Kit

The Tool Kit that comes with the KTM is the most comprehensive I have seen with a new bike. I think you could fix most things with it so I have left it stashed under the seat and added a small tubeless repair kit alongside it. The beauty of the seat design is that it is sealed up (so far at least) and the items stored under there don't get covered in mud and dust.

I added a Wolfman Peak Tail bag to the rear rack and it fits as though it was made for this bike. It is big enough to store a couple of Tubes, more tools and some wet weather gear. It can be expanded too if there is a need to carry more.

I removed the standard grab handles while I was going as I figured they would be easy to get your leg caught on while getting on and off the bike. To do so, I simply found a couple of bits of alloy and used them as spacers in place of the grab rail mounts.