Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Kewl, you ride all yr then????

Yeah, we get nailed down in the southwest of BC. 2.7 million drivers stuck in a 70 mile circle. We can take advantage of collector plates here for older stuff. I've got 5 bikes on 1 plate for $500/yr.
How old a bike is considered a "collector".

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
How old a bike is considered a "collector".

It's a program that was instituted at least 20 yrs ago. It gives the opportunity for 'enthusiasts' to operate their vehicles in pleasure only use. The mandate requires vehicles be 25 + yrs old [ as well as vehicles 15 + yrs old with confirmed limited production of 1500 units per year] , and that the vehicles be maintained in very good condition, with only 'period' modifications. It enhances care, maintenance and preservation of old machinery. Unfortunately, since former director Nigel Mathews has retired, the system is now run by people who do not have knowledge of 'period' correct,,,and now regularly see beat up old rats running around with no intention of keeping within the mandate. This makes me mad, as I think it makes the program a joke, and soon people will see this abuse and shut it down.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
It's a program that was instituted at least 20 yrs ago. It gives the opportunity for 'enthusiasts' to operate their vehicles in pleasure only use. The mandate requires vehicles be 25 + yrs old [ as well as vehicles 15 + yrs old with confirmed limited production of 1500 units per year] , and that the vehicles be maintained in very good condition, with only 'period' modifications. It enhances care, maintenance and preservation of old machinery. Unfortunately, since former director Nigel Mathews has retired, the system is now run by people who do not have knowledge of 'period' correct,,,and now regularly see beat up old rats running around with no intention of keeping within the mandate. This makes me mad, as I think it makes the program a joke, and soon people will see this abuse and shut it down.
Interesting detail re. 15 years on limited production units. That'd describe my '95 and '96 Buell S2's to a T.

Hallelujah.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #19
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Hopefully they will not shut it down. I've seen lots of beaters in the automotive side of things running around with 'Collector Plate' designations to realize that the disease runs in all areas. Supposedly they make a profit of 85 cents for every dollar earned through premiums in this end of things so it is a money maker for them. I keep thinking that people might have a problem making a claim when the time comes if ICBC decided that their machine does not conform to the intent of the program.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Hopefully they will not shut it down. I've seen lots of beaters in the automotive side of things running around with 'Collector Plate' designations to realize that the disease runs in all areas. Supposedly they make a profit of 85 cents for every dollar earned through premiums in this end of things so it is a money maker for them. I keep thinking that people might have a problem making a claim when the time comes if ICBC decided that their machine does not conform to the intent of the program.

You're right Jack. Insurance companies have a habit of cleaning their hands of responsibility at the slightest hint of indiscretion.
Any 'period' mods I've done on my bikes have been documented, pictures and letter of explanation sent to their office. They keep record of all pics sent in, scan everything.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #21
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I do the same, Steve - document it all the way. It's something that we do in our work....

Here's a question for you. Do you think that they would approve the installation of a 'S' type fairing on a stock late model naked 'R'? I'm seeing that guys are getting Parabellum fairings approved or similar aftermarket units for that matter. I'm just very curious as to how much they worry about fairings (maybe they see them as a safety device). I value your opinion.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #22
eldog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
My information may be dated as I learned to ride in BC before moving back to Ontario about 10 years ago.

I agree with the 400 cc class. Because of this I spent an extensive amount of time shopping around for a 399 cc starter bike in BC as the insurance on it was half of a similar 500 cc starter bike because it was up in the next class. This meant I ended up on an Yamaha FZR 400 instead of a Suzuki GS500 or Ninja 500EX. Not the worst thing that can happen to a new rider. I had looked at getting a Dakar back then as it was the first couple of years for them, but a brand new BMW 650 as a first bike was a bit out of budget, price and insurance wise. It makes the 400 cc dualsports a useful size insurance wise.

While the amounts have probably changed, I think the ratios are probably similar through the engine sizes. At the time a 400cc bike was half the price of a up to 750cc bike and a quarter the price of a 1100cc or larger bike.

I also recall when I was living in BC that you can only historic plate a second vehicle in your name. You used to have to have another, primary driver insured at the regular rate first. You may want to see if this is still the case.

----------------
my footers are on the pegs, not the page
-eldog
eldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I do the same, Steve - document it all the way. It's something that we do in our work....

Here's a question for you. Do you think that they would approve the installation of a 'S' type fairing on a stock late model naked 'R'? I'm seeing that guys are getting Parabellum fairings approved or similar aftermarket units for that matter. I'm just very curious as to how much they worry about fairings (maybe they see them as a safety device). I value your opinion.

I can see it being ok, on the basis that the S fairing was available for optional purchase when the bike was new. Covering one's ass by documenting and sending in pics to their office is a good thing to do though.
I've got the factory optional futura fairing for my Laverda. I have chosen for the time being to run it without the fairing. I sent pics in of the bike with and without the fairing, and a letter explaining my intention to ride the bike with and without the fairing based on season, and my whim. They are ok with that.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,750
Quote:
It's a period mod, shouldn't be a problem as long as it's disclosed in advance. If they have a problem with it they will not allow it, then you bury them with the paperwork you have prepared, and they usually accept it.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
Lornce
Lost In Place

ICBC premiums vary by region. I have to imagine Lower Mainland premiums are steeper than less populated interior regions.

Anyone have a KLR650 insured in the West Kootenays for an example of comparative costs. (i don't have a functional question mark key on this laptop).

tia,
Lornce

Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
ICBC premiums vary by region. I have to imagine Lower Mainland premiums are steeper than less populated interior regions.

Anyone have a KLR650 insured in the West Kootenays for an example of comparative costs. (i don't have a functional question mark key on this laptop).

tia,
Lornce

Yup, metro Vancouver has the highest premuims region in "probably" western Canada.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
I still have my first ever street bike. An '84 Kawasaki GPz 750. My girlfriend (now wife) and I thought that would be a great thing to buy with an ICBC settlement that she got when our '75 Honda Civic got taco'd.

Still have the bike, and the girl. Haven't ridden one of them since......well nevermind...

Time to get a collectors plate on the thing and re-live our youth!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Lowest insurance rates are on Van Island believe it or not. Second lowest is Kootenays.

My Wr250R is $160 for six months. No collision of course. KLR you would want full coverage right???
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #29
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNF View Post
Lowest insurance rates are on Van Island believe it or not. Second lowest is Kootenays.

My Wr250R is $160 for six months. No collision of course. KLR you would want full coverage right???
Full coverage on a KLR. You're joking, right (the place where the question mark should be).

Old 05-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #30
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Steve G.;21474200]I can see it being ok, on the basis that the S fairing was available for optional purchase when the bike was new. Covering one's ass by documenting and sending in pics to their office is a good thing to do though.
QUOTE]

How do you ascertain what were factory optional items twenty years after the manufacture date of a motorcycle? Any online sources? Or do you go to BMW Canada and ask for info? Thanks for your imputs.

On the matter of insurance costs of Vancouver Island versus Vancouver itself, I can testify that the insurance costs are much lower over here. Having moved here from Burnaby last summer, I had a $500 reduction in my insurance costs due to the area of operation alone - that was a very pleasant surprise. The driving 'atmosphere' in the Lower Mainland is degrading steadily as the population increases. I can see why the costs are so high.

jackd screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 11:50 AM