User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #46
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,137
Awesome

Awesome pictures and report/review as per normal Danny. Looking forward to the reading more on your exploits with the bike. I saw some shots from the test day, very cool. Did you get to have a ride on the Repsol racer?

poppy screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 02:51 AM
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #47
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day Lion,

That reminded me that I was going to do some further investigation for you. The tyres are Kings KT-988 (I think that model number is right). Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Danny
Thanks Danny. After your lead, a few Google steps later I found it. I don't think it is available here in the US. I like its round shape and short knobs.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #48
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Damn it, now I want one!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #49
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
Damn it, now I want one!

Get in line!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #50
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,281
Awesome thread! Great observations, and even better pictures!

I can't wait for these to get here!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #51
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,781
Congrats on the new steed

Congrats Danny. Great write up and pics.

How does it sound with the after market muffler? Does the cat get removed from the mid pipe? You mention you were addicted to the Akro song on a 9xo.. Do they sound the same?

Enjoy the ride mate

Joe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #52
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,201
Curious about this bike. If it meets your needs and will do 2-up reasonably well it could be the one.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #53
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Nice Danny
So are you glad you bought the big girl instead of waiting for the 700 adventure.

When are you coming up here for a ride on the beach?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #54
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day Niko,

Wonder what is going on with the sensor? I am still running tubeless at the back and it registers fine after fitting the new tyre. I even tried letting it down to 24 psi out of curiosity and it still worked accurately.
Not sure mate! I mentioned that to the dealer (Team Moto Virginia) and they will check that at the 1000 KM revision. They already try to suggested the guy who fit the tyre ruin that piece, but I take the photos! Is no way they can even touch that. Hopefully if is broken they can change it under warranty.. If not I need to pay something around $300 for the sensor
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #55
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
Awesome pictures and report/review as per normal Danny. Looking forward to the reading more on your exploits with the bike. I saw some shots from the test day, very cool. Did you get to have a ride on the Repsol racer?
G'Day Doug,

What have you been up to lately, I think Darren said you were working on an XR650R project at the moment?

The day kind of got away from us at Urbenville so I didn't take the Rallye for a spin but I would love to some other time. It sounded awesome and really looked the business.

I was really impressed with the progress on the 700RR kit too, looks like a lot of thought has gone in it so far.

Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #56
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
KTM should hire this 'Burren Rider' fella
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #57
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MymoJoe View Post
How does it sound with the after market muffler? Does the cat get removed from the mid pipe? You mention you were addicted to the Akro song on a 9xo.. Do they sound the same?
G'Day Joe,

I am reserving judgement on the sound at the moment. As the bike loosens up it actually sounds Ok with the stock pipe but is far from the rumble of twin Akro's on a 990. The standard bike we tested was fitted with an Akro slip on but I thought it still sounded muted? It appears as though the muffler needs to be pulled apart to get the bungs out which I guess is a sign of political correctness. Personally, I think my neighbours and other road users will appreciate the deep rumble of an appropriately piped 1190 so I am still on the hunt for a good solution. I think Remus have one available now and I have been talking to Jason Barrett who was looking to build one locally. The Barrett's sound good on Bob's bike so that may well be the path I take.

The cat to me looks as though it is seperate from the muffler, enclosed in a flared canister near the centrestand? I am guessing this is why the Akro doesn't require re-mapping on the 1190 as the main source of restriction is further back in the pipework? I think it would be easy enough to bypass if someone knew what they were doing with it (I don't but I am sure I could find someone who does). My main concern with that is mapping the bike accordingly so I might leave well enough alone for the moment.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #58
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Curious about this bike. If it meets your needs and will do 2-up reasonably well it could be the one.

G'Day,

I don't know what it would be like as a two up bike but it certainly wouldn't lack power for hills and overtaking . My wife spent a lot of time on the back of my DR650 in years gone by and I haven't been able to convince her to get back on a bike for a while. She reckon's it is a risk aversion thing with a young family but I think the DR seat may have broken her
Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #59
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Nice Danny
So are you glad you bought the big girl instead of waiting for the 700 adventure.

When are you coming up here for a ride on the beach?
G'Day Joe,

Awesome job on those DR's, I just saw a couple of photo's and they are a work of art.

I really considered the 700RR alternative but in the end I couldn't part with my DRZ so I opted for something bigger on the adventure spectrum. Having had the opportunity to ride the 1190, I certainly don't regret my decision. There is something unique about riding a big bike in the dirt and while they aren't the best solution for all things, they are a lot of fun.

If I didn't already have the DRZ for trail riding and serious exploring it would have been a more difficult choice. Got to admit, I feel incredibly fortunate when I wander into the shed these days.

A beach run sounds good, especially with helpers to pull the bike out of the soft stuff. Any chance you could fabricate a bash plate while I am there
Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #60
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Some of the best pics ive seen on this forum, you should send them to the mods, so they can put them in the pics section of the forum's home page.