User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #241
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 467
The Redwoods

We found an overnight parking lot and camped up above Smith River. Not a bad spot overlooking the ocean.

photo P1030861_zpsc4b2d412.jpg

The next day the plan was to explore the redwoods, Avenue of the Giants type stuff. But, we started out and the extremely reliable KLR started hiccupping. I had to pull in the clutch and rev it up a little and it seemed to clear up and smooth out. It worked for a while, but then started getting worse. We made it down into Jebediah Smith Redwood State Park, then passed Del Norte Coast, and Prairie Creek.

And, the trees were big to say the least.

photo P1030864_zps6c6ccfb5.jpg

By the time we made it down by Eureka I was trying out choke to see if that would help, but finally it got to the point where it was running, but just barely. Honestly, I probably shouldn't have pushed it that far. But I figured it was likely the last ride of the trip so I was reaching for it.

Finally I had to pull over and see if I could do something about it. First thing was the air filter, and it was filthy. That air filter on the KLR clogs up pretty easily, it seems like it is always dirty. Plus, I am not quite sure if I had cleaned it after my little ride up to Prudhoe Bay and back, not to mention the other little jaunts since. In the little built-in tool box I took out the tools out of the bag and stuffed in a socket set, ratchet, and allen set. It barely fit, but if it was packed just right it would close. The stock tool set won't let you pull the side cover.

I grabbed some twigs and sticks, scrapped the K&N as clean as I could and put it back together. But it still ran like crap.
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #242
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Been Slack'n

So I have been slacking a bit. Well not really, I have actually been busting ass on my TransAlp Project:

photo P1000196_zps1343b9c5.jpg

photo P1000258_zps6474ece1.jpg

photo P1000267_zps2ccd1814.jpg

photo P1000874_zps247c90bb.jpg

photo P1000882_zps2c8c0aa9.jpg

photo P1000885_zps8b087d81.jpg

photo P1000896_zps7c65b072.jpg

photo P1000898_zps96afcec7.jpg

photo P1000906_zps52b90eb8.jpg

photo P1000909_zpsb99566ab.jpg

photo P1000916_zps4385a36a.jpg

photo P1000939_zps2a5257c2.jpg

But that story is for a different time and a different place.

I need to get back to this one and finish it up.....
Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #243
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

The Redwoods (2)

So there we were, 60 or 80 miles from the truck with a bike that was running like crap. I tried to scrape off the dirt as best as possible, but it only helped so much. I was fiddling with it for an hour or so, would get it back together and start it, take it apart again and try something else. Several people drove by and asked us if we needed help, but I had everything I needed other than a good way to clean the filter. I figured trying to clean it with gas next to the road wasn't a very good idea. So I pulled the side cover to get more air into the airbox and limped it back towards the truck.

I was hoping to do Avenue of the Giants and all that, but it wasn't in the cards. It was still cool riding through the massive trees.

photo P1030870_zpsb613ecaa.jpg

The fog rolled in and gave it an mystical feel.

photo P1030871_zps02a09307.jpg

I found a cool little side road that wound up the coast and we putted our way back.

photo P1030872_zpsd40ebfc0.jpg

It would do OK in the mid-throttle range so I held it there and prayed it would get us back to the truck.

We finally made it back and loaded up so we could roll out in the morning. That night I looked for the best way to get out of California. I hate all of their dumb-ass rules. Sure, it is cool they are one of the only ones that allow lane splitting, but trailer law of not allowing you to go over 55 is incredibly annoying. So I took the shortest way out. And looked for a couple more things to explore on the way home.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #244
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Crater Lake

After some time looking at the map we decided to head back North a bit to check out Crater Lake.

photo P1030909_zps0b32a77e.jpg

It still felt weird being around regular old yuppy tourists. In Alaska, outside the cruise ship ports at least, most of the people you meet are more along the lines of travelers, and not so much tourist. But these ones, with their pressed t-shirts and plaid golf shorts were giving me an odd look. But then again, there I was with my Alaska beard looking all Grizzly Adams.

We went up to the top of the mountain, or hill rather, and were blown away by the color of the water. The iridescent blue was mesmerizing.

photo P1030884_zpsb67e89b1.jpg

There was also a good view of the surrounding land.

photo P1030885_zps0ef477c6.jpg

Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #245
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Crater Lake (2)

We drove around the road on the top, would have been fun on a bike. But then again you always have to worry about the Sunday drivers in the parks. But they are plenty easy to pass.

Lots of cool overlooks.

photo P1030889_zps54626bf0.jpg

I believe they call it Wizard Island....wonder why?

After Alaska's no trails in the National Park, go where you like; we figured what is good for one NP is good for another. We found a nice place to set and take it all in.

photo P1030895_zpsdc4f057d.jpg

A nice place to take it all in.

photo P1030905_zps950e7505.jpg

photo P1030908_zps6a26b339.jpg

But all good things come to an end and we couldn't stay forever. It was cool to see, but not worth much more than a half-day. From there we kept heading back towards home.