Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #46
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
From the world of guitars, bikes, cars, and just about everything else I have had an interest in - "soul" or "character" does matter. But it is different for everyone.

A bike with no soul or character means it bores you. Another person might find it refined and exciting.

Tom Anderson guitars are are fined tuned instruments and old Strats are clunky. Or Anderson guitars have no soul but old strats have personality in spades. Same thing - different lens.

Personally, I like both and wish I had more old strats / Andersons and bikes in my garage!

There are guys traveling the country right now rebuilding old Indian motors along the way that would put the kabosh on all this! One man's pleasantly quirky is another's POS!

Of course - just my opinion.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #47
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Well I think the GoonerYoda (post 30) has been fed. I'm out of this thread. Ciao!
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #48
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
The "seriously" comment was addressed to the edifying observation that some people appear to have a lot of personality and some don't.

I'd guess you were an elementary school teacher that didn't spend a lot of time around adults. Throw in a "fuck it" and "shit" for cred.

And I could make outlandish guesses about the backgrounds and experiences of others that I don't know, as well...

... sometimes a general demeanor of hostility and the inability to empathize with the experiences of others can tell you a lot about an individual's character, if not their actual background...

Oh, but I forget... the term "character" is a no-no...

And no, I do believe that the two words I used are in ordinary general use today, and taken in context they meant exactly they way they sounded...

"Fuck it", meant that it didn't matter (see my sig. line as an example). That we had a differing viewpoint and that it wasn't worth discussing further since I felt you were missing the point I was attempting to make about what most people mean by the terms "character" and "soul". Or at least the way that I use and mean them....

They are more of a feeling... an emotional response. And as you know, not all emotional responses are easily described or defined, and yet that makes them no less real to those that experience them. In the case of motorcycles, I describe that "feeling" that I get from certain bikes, and not others, as them either having "character", "soul", or "personality", or not. Perhaps others have another meaning when they use those terms. And perhaps others still, just don't use those terms at all...

And, "bore the living shit out of me"? Does that really require an explanation?

Cred? Yeah, maybe to my elementary class...

So again, you enjoy the aspects of motorcycling your way, and I'll do the same, and I'll continue to show others due respect in whatever it is that lights their fire, even if I don't "get it".
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #49
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 541
...and another simple request for informed opinion descends into typical ADV madness...

As to the OP, if the V7 suits you 'off the rack' I understand it's a fine bike. Both of their dealers AND the dozen or so folks that own one told me so (just kidding! just kidding! )

If you want to have some fun changing things around and making the bike 'yours', the Triumph aftermarket is HUGE.

Check out the brand specific forums for hints about reliability and other concerns.

The ergos of the V7 were just a little 'off' to me, there's quite a bit of mechanical noise, and it still seemed (to me) like a bit of an unknown quantity for reliability and parts availability. I went with the base Bonneville for ergos, aftermarket, and the relatively long term reputation for quality control and reliability.

I guess I've just been too busy having a blast riding what I thought was a pretty cool bike to realize what a soulless pig I actually own...

surly357 screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 11:26 PM
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #50
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Whats with this "slow" bonneville,mine will do 55 in 1st gear.
Wind that sucker up! they like to rev.
Ikons,togas,and a arrow 2/1 tune.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #51
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Is there anyone else out there like me who would love the V7's style, but would like to see a little bigger overall bike with at least a litre and 90+ bhp?

Sort of a Guzzi version of a Ducati Sport Classic would be cool.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #52
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Is there anyone else out there like me who would love the V7's style, but would like to see a little bigger overall bike with at least a litre and 90+ bhp?

Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #53
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I love the bikes. The physical size is actually one of the things that I like about them, and I would have seriously considered one if they'd had just a bit more power. 90 hp would be great, but I'd probably be happy with between 70 and 80. Over the years Iv'e found that that usually does most things that I need a bike to do. I'm just afraid that the current output would leave me wanting.

Not knocking them for those that are satisfied with the current engine performance, and I'm sure that in a lot of ways the power characteristics make up for the lack of outright power, but I know me and I'm pretty sure that the stock 40 some-odd hp would leave me dissatisfied.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #54
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
Well I think the GoonerYoda (post 30) has been fed. I'm out of this thread. Ciao!
I was being honest.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #55
Murgatroid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:

Moto Guzzi sold that bike 20 years ago, but it wasn't a big seller. Maybe they were 20 years too early?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #56
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroid View Post
Moto Guzzi sold that bike 20 years ago, but it wasn't a big seller. Maybe they were 20 years too early?

Yeah, I believe that perhaps they were. Still can't imagine something like that not being in the pipeline for the future. Especially since it seems that the low output of the V7 is such a common topic, and they already have the basic designs for a larger, more powerful powerplant. If they were to do a modern version along the lines of the V7, but based on a 1000cc engine, MG would quickly move to the top of my very short list of bikes of interest. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that it VERY likely WOULD be the next bike in my garage.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #57
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
I 've owned both a Triumph Scrambler and a Guzzi V7. In the end I sold the Guzzi and kept the Scrambler. This is a comparison I did of the two on another board:

The Guzzi handles like it is on the proverbial rails. Steering is razor sharp and the suspension is perhaps too taught......
Are you sure you were on a V7? Or is that a relative/comparative comment in relation to the Triumph?
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #58
Penderic
Format C:/u

Oddometer: 84
To answer the original question posted...The "winner" is ....

.....the one I bought!

4 years ago I wanted to downsize from a big Goldwing and a heavy ST1100 sport tourer. I wanted a much lighter and agile motorcycle.

Sat on a Scramble - it is ok.

Then I saw a Guzzi new Classic on the web - I never saw one before .. nice looking! And a dealer is nearby.... what luck! I then research the forums and see the owners bikes and hear the stories!

I fell in love with the sound of the Guzzi on a U tube posting and bought one.

My luck holds up.... the bike is comfortable too! I have set her up for some light touring this year- Craven panniers and a Quarter fairing that work quite well. Gps, heated grips .... lets dance!
Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #59
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
There's really nothing retro about the Griso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #60
pinarello rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
What a great looking bike. I saw a guy riding one the other day and it piqued my interest.

A couple of questions. My nearest Moto Guzzi dealership is almost 2 hours away. I am fairly handy - mostly with cars though. What is the maintenance like on these, and what warranty issues have you had? What about other riders? I understand you can't speak for them, but I'm curious about the rumors. I ride a HD Sportster 883 now and really like the size and manueverability of it - along with the gas mileage as I would mostly be commuting 20 miles on 60mph state highway where speeds rarely go above 65. I like my commute. :)

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penderic View Post
To answer the original question posted...The "winner" is ....

.....the one I bought!

4 years ago I wanted to downsize from a big Goldwing and a heavy ST1100 sport tourer. I wanted a much lighter and agile motorcycle.

Sat on a Scramble - it is ok.

Then I saw a Guzzi new Classic on the web - I never saw one before .. nice looking! And a dealer is nearby.... what luck! I then research the forums and see the owners bikes and hear the stories!

I fell in love with the sound of the Guzzi on a U tube posting and bought one.

My luck holds up.... the bike is comfortable too! I have set her up for some light touring this year- Craven panniers and a Quarter fairing that work quite well. Gps, heated grips .... lets dance!
pinarello rider is offline   Reply With Quote