User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #5986
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,378
Had one of these wayyyyy back when. I never did figure out wtf the card slot was for.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #5987
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,579
HuCards!

They were secondary games for the master system but very similar to the primary ones for the TG-16.

Quote:
The HuCard format is probably the first and most impressive feature of the PC Engine system. How cool was it, back then, to go and visit some friends with a dozen games fitting in the palm of your hand ? But Games on cards were not only available for the PC Engine system, far from it. Let see what else we can find...

As mentionned, the MSX also had a few games stored on cards. The Master System also had few games on cards. They were released in Japan around 1985 and were called Sega Mycard. A few of them were released in Europe and America as Sega cards. Never wondered what the slim port of the original Master System console was for ? Here you go, this was to play the tinny Sega cards.
http://www.videogameden.com/article.htm?hu

For some pics of the sega ones it's about 2/3 down the page.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #5988
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,378
Back then the only games you could get hold of were at the end of an hour long drive to magic mart. And they would have about 3 games. None of which I could bring myself to ask grandma to actually spend money on.

I did waste a wholllllleeeeee lot of time with this one though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Fighter
Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #5989
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
Back then the only games you could get hold of were at the end of an hour long drive to magic mart. And they would have about 3 games. None of which I could bring myself to ask grandma to actually spend money on.

I did waste a wholllllleeeeee lot of time with this one though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Fighter
I bet:

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #5990
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Had one of these wayyyyy back when. I never did figure out wtf the card slot was for.
IIRC, they were lower grade games I used to have a Master System and still have a few games. F-16 Fighter comes to mind. My Hero was another.

http://segaretro.org/Sega_Card

Old 05-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #5991
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
IIRC, they were lower grade games I used to have a Master System and still have a few games. F-16 Fighter comes to mind. My Hero was another.

http://segaretro.org/Sega_Card

Holy shit! A game that makes G-Loc look awesome:

Little bit of random trivia the Game Gear was basically a portable Sega master system.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #5992
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Holy shit! A game that makes G-Loc look awesome:

Little bit of random trivia the Game Gear was basically a portable Sega master system.
It was one of the very first games to launch with the Master System. It was also very frustrating. I think I traded it for something... I traded my Master System for a Genesis Master System Adapter plus a game. This was a promotion Sega had. Only problem was that not all games were supported. F-16 Fighter wouldn't work with it.

The Game Gear was sold up until the late 90's. I remember when Toy's R Us were liquidating them for $20. I should have bought them. Instead, I bought a NES Advantage they were also liquidating. I still wouldn't mind getting a Game Gear. I still have all of my old Genesis games.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #5993
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
It was one of the very first games to launch with the Master System. It was also very frustrating. I think I traded it for something... I traded my Master System for a Genesis Master System Adapter plus a game. This was a promotion Sega had. Only problem was that not all games were supported. F-16 Fighter wouldn't work with it.

The Game Gear was sold up until the late 90's. I remember when Toy's R Us were liquidating them for $20. I should have bought them. Instead, I bought a NES Advantage they were also liquidating. I still wouldn't mind getting a Game Gear. I still have all of my old Genesis games.
The problem is the screens are all washed out by now, mine will still play but it doesn't look nearly as good as when i played the hell out of it during road trips in the 90's.

I remember getting a 32X with Viruta Fighter and the star wars arcade game for something like 25 bucks altogether from Toys R' Us, I'm waiting for the Wii or maybe even the Wii U to have that fate to pick up some of the better games.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #5994
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 4,270
Quote:
Was that the one that had the 3D glasses? Didn't they use the card slot?

Been too long, can't remember. I was pretty excited when I got it, though!
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #5995
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,416
Crap. I was Steam rolled.....

By my boy. We went to see world war z last weekend. All he's talked about since was some zombie game. He talked his mom in to letting him download it on to her computer. Of course, her computer can't handle gaming, so he begged me to let him load it on mine since he had already spent the money on it. So now my computer has steam on it, and I spent four hours over the last two days figuring out how to make day z work for him. Now I'm back to using a small monitored, crappy computer while he sits there getting killed constantly and asking me to help him.
The game does look kinda neat, but I don't have the time or desire to play games in the middle of summer. Hopefully he figures it out by thanksgiving and can talk me through it.

Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: DeAGMxYPTdjUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #5996
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
By my boy. We went to see world war z last weekend. All he's talked about since was some zombie game. He talked his mom in to letting him download it on to her computer. Of course, her computer can't handle gaming, so he begged me to let him load it on mine since he had already spent the money on it. So now my computer has steam on it, and I spent four hours over the last two days figuring out how to make day z work for him. Now I'm back to using a small monitored, crappy computer while he sits there getting killed constantly and asking me to help him.
The game does look kinda neat, but I don't have the time or desire to play games in the middle of summer. Hopefully he figures it out by thanksgiving and can talk me through it.
My kids have always had their own computer and it's always been able to keep up with what they want to play. Right now I'm lucky that they only want to play web games or minecraft on the wife's iPad.

Although the 9 year old has been watching me play Torchlight she doesn't want to pay the $7.99 for the Mac version from GOG.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #5997
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,508
Just wait....

My son is 14 and lives a "computer-centric" lifestyle. In addition to being an avid gamer, he plays keyboards, so his computer is also a MIDI studio.

Two years ago, I bought all the components to let him build a desktop that would be upgradeble. So far he's replaced the CPU, video card, added a hard drive, added RAM and is already looking at another video card!!

We have an xBox, but apparently real gamers use keys.
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #5998
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDave View Post
Just wait....

My son is 14 and lives a "computer-centric" lifestyle. In addition to being an avid gamer, he plays keyboards, so his computer is also a MIDI studio.

Two years ago, I bought all the components to let him build a desktop that would be upgradeble. So far he's replaced the CPU, video card, added a hard drive, added RAM and is already looking at another video card!!

We have an xBox, but apparently real gamers use keys.

When I came home from the hospital I had a NES controller put in my hand to play Rush'n Attack. Now I bet I sucked , but I love my controllers.

But otherwise my half brother is a bit younger but I'm hoping to build a gaming PC with him soon.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #5999
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Was that the one that had the 3D glasses? Didn't they use the card slot?

Been too long, can't remember. I was pretty excited when I got it, though!
Yes, the Sega had active 3D glasses. Can't play them on a flat screen TV. I'm not sure what's going on with his double vision though. That's not supposed to happen. I had a friend with all those games and remember them well. It sure beat the Nintendo 3D with the paper blue and red glasses.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #6000
Jeffy
Hmm...

Steam's Summer Sale is going on now!

I got Borderlands 2 and the 4 Season Pass for $20 as well as Don't Starve for $9

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: