ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #166
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,401
Can some one point me in the direction of routes and tracks for the infamous Frog bayou? I know i seen it on here.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #167
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Can some one point me in the direction of routes and tracks for the infamous Frog bayou? I know i seen it on here.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #168
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Earlevet's post gives you the track in the bayou: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=10

Jinxr went down in a 4-wheeler recently. See Frog thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792609
Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #169
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
Moon Hull road

On Sat at SLAP I was leading the ride and we were heading back to Byrd's from Jasper. My Montana routed us down 21 and then south on Moon Hull Rd which ended up in some guy's yard with a barking Pomeranian dog nipping at my heels. (who the hell has Pomeranians in AR?!?) Looked like the road running next to the house might be it but it was so overgrown we decided to turn around and came down Panther Creek Rd which we had taken on the way up.

Now I'm looking at the google maps and they show that road stopping at show dog guy's house but my City Nav 2013 in Basecamp shows it going through to 215.
With satellite view in GM I can see the road but it looks like it might have washed out on the side of the mountain.
Just wondering if it goes all the way through.
Here's the spot
http://goo.gl/maps/vSifc

My 2005 Ozark Forest Service map shows it as a dirt road 1417 and that it does go through.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #170
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
On Sat at SLAP I was leading the ride and we were heading back to Byrd's from Jasper. My Montana routed us down 21 and then south on Moon Hull Rd which ended up in some guy's yard with a barking Pomeranian dog nipping at my heels. (who the hell has Pomeranians in AR?!?) Looked like the road running next to the house might be it but it was so overgrown we decided to turn around and came down Panther Creek Rd which we had taken on the way up.

Now I'm looking at the google maps and they show that road stopping at show dog guy's house but my City Nav 2013 in Basecamp shows it going through to 215.
With satellite view in GM I can see the road but it looks like it might have washed out on the side of the mountain.
Here's the spot

My 2005 Ozark Forest Service map shows it as a dirt road 1417 and that it does go through.
It used to go through, but the last time I was there was November 2012. It does still show as legal on the MVUM.
Here's a track from the Nov. ride.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Nov-3-2012.gpx (804.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #171
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,728
Quote:

Here's the spot

We have run into situations such as this before and here you have to be real careful as some of this asscockfacses seem to "claim" the road and close it off. If you are stopped by them and happen not manage to get shot, place a call to the county sheriffs dept and have them come out and set the asscockface right...or you could be all nice and such and ask for permission to continue, not likely you'll get it tho...
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #172
guavadude
de-composer

well that reminds me....so we were following the Day 2 AR 500 route which starts off at Fly Gap road going up the hill, and we came to a fence and had to turn around. I know we came down that road during the AR 500 but was wondering if that actually is a private road and someone opened it up for Scotty's rally.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #173
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
well that reminds me....so we were following the Day 2 AR 500 route which starts off at Fly Gap road going up the hill, and we came to a fence and had to turn around. I know we came down that road during the AR 500 but was wondering if that actually is a private road and someone opened it up for Scotty's rally.
No, that road was gated during the AR500 as well. That was the one road I didn't preride and I think the only group that went down, or should I say up, was the group I was leading on Saturday. It was fenced and we had to turn around and go back. I called Scotty that morning when I got back up to Flygap and told him not to come that way. He was headed to St. Paul for fuel up Hwy 23 to Hwy 16. Then they dropped down Frst112 off of Hwy 16 east of St. Paul and hooked back up with the original route.

I ran into the Texas group after turning around on Fleming Road (great little trail too, I was dissappointed that it did not go thru) on Fly Gap Rd to warn them that the Fleming Road was gated.

Sorry I wasn't able to make SLAP this year. I would have clued you in to that fact. See you next time around.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #174
guavadude
de-composer

Yeah it was West fly gap we came down on day 1. It all worked out and we had a great time. Looking forward to next time.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #175
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnichols View Post
If you guys want some free topo maps that will load into MapSource check these out:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/ar

I've got two loaded that seem pretty nice:

Arkansas Topo 24k+
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/137/

Arkansas Contour 20ft Overlay
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/370/

After installing you will see a pulldown in MapSource where you can change maps. Kind of nice to see what the topos look like for all of these GPXs.

I think the overlay can be used on a gps in conjunction with a base street map. That way the topo will be overlaid. The first one, the Arkansas Topo 24k+, is nice in MapSource, but when I used it on my Nuvi at SLAP last year it was too much information unless I really zoomed in.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there since it's a pretty cool freebie.
I'm not finding this Arkansas Contour 20ft Overlay on the gpsfiledepot site. Does anyone have this? Still just trying to get some shaded relief going under my City Nav maps without too many topo lines. If this overlay is a mess too, don't worry about it.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #176
guavadude
de-composer

Hey all you AR trail wizards....
Looks like I might head that way for another long weekend this weekend if the weather permits.

So far I've done the three AR500 routes and did the awesome O'Leary day 2 route again at SLAP, (the beginning to Jasper). At SLAP I also did the Natural Dam full day route starting at White Rock Mtn road, a variation of the 209 Oleary Route.

I have no problem riding all this again but I like to explore so I'm wondering what have I missed that's a must see? What routes are there east of hwy 7?
Are there any routes near Push Mtn 341. I've been to Mtn View on tarmac but wouldn't mind checking out Mtn Home if you think there's good DS routes heading that way.

Still just looking for stuff that fits my 650 thumper but I might have a few big GS's tagging along. I like the blend of dirt and twisties that these other routes have had.
Gracias in advance for any ideas and tracks.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #177
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,653
This route drawn up by mdawg12 is a short (110 mile) route from I-540 - Hwy 62 in Fayetteville down to Natural Dam via Pannell Road. It is about 50% pavement going to Pannell. The route back takes you mostly on dirt back up due north, ending up on Hwy 412 east of Siloam Springs.

As stated in other routes here in the SLAP Trax thread, Pannell Road is not big-bike friendly when it is really wet (plenty of red clay, pretty rutted up). There is a "ledge" about halfway down that has a "go-around" on the west side of the trail The go-around isn't exactly simple, but not bad. When Pannell is dry, it isn't a bad ride. Watch for 4-wheelers and "crawlers", both of which tend to "play" just below the ledge, and if you are bopping down the hill and over the ledge, stopping could be an adventure.

The file is a route.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Pannel Rd via Devil's Den modified.gpx (186.2 KB, 37 views)

Valentino Magoo screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 06:48 PM
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #178
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

I have got a question for you'se guys! How come the attachment icon (paper clip) is only on this thread. I have been missing that on other threads and I used to use it all the time but since I couldn't find it I had to post tracks on Google Drive. Is there some way to add that to an existing thread?
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #179
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Thanks for the info Tim. Yeh! I kinda figured that out after I posted as I looked on the Layin Down Tracks thread and saw that it had the attachment icon. I guess I will start using that thread for posting routes and such for the camping events. Seems some have trouble being able to download the routes from Google Drive.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 07-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #180
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
Pannel Rd via Devil's Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
If you're interested, I modified the part before Devil's Den to add a little dirt.

Attached below.
hey guys..if you would, go back to your posts and give a discription of what these routes are..how long is it, is it both routes and trax and tell a little what it's about...I have already listed them on the front page..tnx!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote